Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

IS IT TOO DARN MUCH TO ASK???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IS IT TOO DARN MUCH TO ASK???????

I can see the stars through my skylights.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
ledsled
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah I think the hobby shop in Lansing closed.
I get over to NC more often, that wind went through last night, I was wild.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My apologies for the post last night. I logged on this morning and cleaned up the after math.

Had a bad day yesterday. I'm human. Crow served and eaten. [sm=red_smile.gif]

Anybody willing to lend me a boot extractor? I've got one firmly planted in my mouth right now.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

WOW!

I'm glad I didn't ask "Why do some arfs require me to drill control horn hard points, and others have them pre-drilled?"

The weather here in the North Carolina foothills has been terrible.. Hopefully, I can some flying in this weekend.

Seriously, I ordered a PilotRC yak, simply because it was pre-hinged, and the control horns are all ready drilled. LOL!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

wind is blowing hard here in the Carolinas its about 50 degreess. Can you say host G4.5 to fly lol
Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
frieshoo

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

wind is blowing hard here in the Carolinas its about 50 degreess. Can you say host G4.5 to fly lol

I need to get a better home computer. My laptop doesn't have the juice for G4.5... It does ok with 3.5.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i feel ya i walked into Best Buy just looking but they had the never to say Sir right now we have 18 months no intrest on stuff, well let me tell u this 256 gaming card with 4G or RAM is working well for me
Old 12-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The latests and greatest in making everythig as easy as possible and to execute "no-brainer" assemblies has it's place I suppose. I guess being over 40 means I left all the stuff designed for the unthinking back in 1st grade. From about that point on my parents and the educational system taught me how to think for myself and carefully anaylze how to overcome a given problem in order to achieve a desirable end result.

Yes, I still use dope, silkspan, tissue, yellow wood glue, kit build, and lots of other "old" style stuff because they are still extremely effective ways of achieving a desired end result. Some of the old assembly methods are still superior to many currently used on arfs. I also paint, airbrush, make molds, make parts with fiberglass and carbon fiber, experiment with engines, and do lot's of new technology stuff. Limits are boring. That does not imply that I don't assemble and fly arfs because I do, and quite a few at that. But at the same time I don't expect that everyone else is responsible for providing me with everything I may need to complete the assembly. Note I did not say "build" because a build it most certainly is not. Nor is it an entitlement.

I find that most people that are financially productive today are busy people. I also have found that most of them have one or more hobbies. Those that are serious about their hobbies make an effort to learn as much as they can about them and do not limit themselve with excuses such as not having time to learn. That's weak. If one wanted to do something and there was too much on the plate then simply eliminating another optional time burden provides the time for more learning. If one truly has no time they would only purchase fully assembled plans from those that had the time, and the desire, to put them together. Having all the pre-assembled widgets and templates is nice, but not a requirement. Doing things with your own mind and hands is still quite rewarding if you accept that it may take a few minutes or an hour longer. Removing all the challenges from life's activities limits and weakens, it does not strengthen.

My feelings are if you want to particiapte in a hobby you participate, not just take the fastest, easiest means to barely get involved. As a nation we have become lazy and seem to think someone or everyone owes us the means to accomplish anything that we want to have or do. That problem extends into this hobby as well with many failing or refusing to learn basic skills required to particiapte. Learning how to mount an engine is a very basic skill. Learning how to center one is another very basic skill. Learning how to remove and reinstall a carb is pretty much a necessity. What happens when it gets dirty? Discovering that an engine manufacturer took the time to provide information on engine mounting and template making should have been easy to find when ordering from a website. That is unless the only web pages visited was the price and shopping cart page. I don't know many that limit themselves that severely.

To shout out ones displeasure about a lack of mounting template or other pre-assembly options only reinforces my point about laziness, lack of skills, and a sense of entitlement. All three are personal deficiencies that can be corrected with a little desire and effort. Sorry, but I don't think manufacturers should provide a template. My personal is that people should still use their own noggin from time to time.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My feelings are if you want to particiapte in a hobby you participate, not just take the fastest, easiest means to barely get involved. As a nation we have become lazy and seem to think someone or everyone owes us the means to accomplish anything that we want to have or do. That problem extends into this hobby as well with many failing or refusing to learn basic skills required to particiapte. Learning how to mount an engine is a very basic skill. Learning how to center one is another very basic skill. Learning how to remove and reinstall a carb is pretty much a necessity. What happens when it gets dirty? Discovering that an engine manufacturer took the time to provide information on engine mounting and template making should have been easy to find when ordering from a website. That is unless the only web pages visited was the price and shopping cart page. I don't know many that limit themselves that severely.
I hear ya and I don't absolutely disagree. I called and talked to Henry on the advice of Bob P. No I did not explore the website, and yes a do know a little about engines.

What bothers me is the arrogance that goes along with some in this hobby. Everybody's lives a different life to different extremes in different areas. Let me explain.

I have been an AMA member since 1989 and my first plane was a LT 40 with an OS FP40 and it took me (with no help from anybody) 6 weeks to build. My second plane was a Sig Kougar and then a Commander. Did it all myself and did not even know the AMA existed until I went to fly them. I built 3 planes before I soloed. In the middle 90s and lastly in 2006 I went through burnout twice and sold out twice. The first time I sold 16 giant flyers to a gent who drove from WV. The maintanence was more than I had time for and all of my time went to RC. I have built more kits and ARFs than I care to remember. Whenever I would crash, I veiwed it as a positive since it gave me an excuse to try something different. For about 15 years I lived, breathed, ate, drank, read everything RC plane related.

Fast forward to today.When entering my 3rd venture into RC planes, I made a deal with the wife that I would not be consumed by this hobby again. I would not buy tools that I would use 2 times a decade to sit in the way in the garage. I promised that I would not spend the whole afternoon at the field hoping the wind would die for enought time for 1 flight while she waited at home. I am now enjoying the hobby again, but in a different way and at a different level and at a different speed. As part of the deal I enjoy other hobbies, also. (This helps with my OCD)

I am qualified and know how to mount an engine. I have assembled many World Model ARFs and every review calles attention to the clear template they provide for cutting relief for the muffler and head. It is a nice touch that makes cowl cutting neater and yes, eaiser. Quite a few of my friends here on RCU know I have a sense of humor and the title and large letters were more of an attempt at good natured emphisis more than demanding manufatures give in and make my job easier. The origional idea was "What should we demand from all manufactures as acceptable". Years ago, engines came with tools and shems for 4 strokes. Now they don't. Engines used to NOT come with glow plugs, and now they do. My DAs and FPE engines come with extended arms on the carb for throttle linkage while the CCRC, DL, RCGR and many others do not. Should we expect this or just say "any modeler should be able to figure it out so let them buy thier own hardware and FIX IT!

My point is that my involvement in this hobby is not what it was and it will never be, again. Any time saved is valuable. It is only by raising the demands and expectations will changes come about. Were it not for Sachs and Brisons changing the standard, everybody would be flying with magneto G62s and Qutra 75s on aerobatic planes.

It does hit my "hot button" when I ask the modeling community of RCU if they think we should send a message to companies asking them to raise the bar to make their product "throttle linkage friendly" or tell them "yes we want them to glue our hinges and install our control horns". All I asked is "Is it asking too DARN MUCH?" GO BACK AND READ THE ORIGIONAL POST. A simple yes or no was the answer I was hoping for. Not to be painted as somebody who does not know how to install an engine after 20 years of modeling, and if you don't know how to do that then you shouldn't be flying.

That is all I am trying to say.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Valid points all.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:53 PM
eugene

I believe we've all expressed thoughts on this question... We've given it a sound thrashing, so lets stand it in the corner without supper..

We all, myself included , can at times respond in a somewhat unkind manner. There are all levels of participation in our sport , from E park flyers, to super complicated marvels of modeling... And all skill levels. ( How about golf?) And there are people in our sport whose attitude is, mines bigger-mines faster-mines more scale-mine costs more....I accept them like the pains of aging...

Lets resolve , in 2009, to be a little kinder and understanding of others in the sport...After all, this is just a Hobby and not a Don Rickles show. I've been building models since 1939, and am now in the big gas Warbird stage.....No better, no worse, than the modeler with the all in one park flyer.. He's still part of our Hobby, as am I....

May all have a Happy Holiday, and a healthy and prosperous New Year...

Old 12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
AJF--2

Lets resolve , in 2009, to be a little kinder and understanding of others in the sport...After all, this is just a Hobby and not a Don Rickles show. I've been building models since 1939, and am now in the big gas Warbird stage.....No better, no worse, than the modeler with the all in one park flyer.. He's still part of our Hobby, as am I....
Here, here!!

(of course you know it ain't gonna happen)

OK, I've puffed on the peace pipe. Next (cough cough, gasp, wheeze)

BTW- what am I smokin?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Bass1

After all, this is just a Hobby and not a Don Rickles show.
[sm=lol.gif] Hey AJF, Was that you that use to own the Miles Reed Extras? If so, Are you still flying them?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
AJF--2

Yea, that was me. Both the 80 and 90". Was some of the best flying planes out there. Behind his Solutions of course. I had a great discussion with Miles at Joe Nall a few years ago about why he choose the 260 over the 300 when everybody was flying the 300s.

Good to hear from you. I remember you were working on one. Ever finish it? (sorry for the lapse in memory)[:-] I seem to remember you were doing the same Patty scheme I used.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:43 PM
CJW123

FWIW...Miles Reed's first 60 inch Solution Bipe had a converted by RC Ignition G62 in it...WITH a carb rotator and throttle arm....
Had too much torque so he enlarged it to the later size...Ask him
Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 PM
AJF--2

You are correct. He also designed the 70" Solution X (longer fuse) around the G62. Then he met Ken Baker of D&B. Both the Solution X and the 90" Extra fit well with the D&B 3.7 twin. Now you talk about one fine engine..........
Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Bass1

AJF2, I thought I recognized your screen name. Yeah, I finished it quite some time ago. It does fly real nice and I use it to warm up and knock the rust off when I haven't flown for awhile!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54620.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1100405  
Old 12-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Bass1

ORIGINAL: CJW123

FWIW...Miles Reed's first 60 inch Solution Bipe had a converted by RC Ignition G62 in it...WITH a carb rotator and throttle arm....
Had too much torque so he enlarged it to the later size...Ask him
Yeah, Them RC Ignition converted G62's can put out some serious torque... So CJW123, How much torque does that bad boy put out?[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 PM
AJF--2

very nice R plane (thats "southern" aviation talk)
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
jack1933
My Feedback: (2)

Hi pat Just some advice, if I may. The white elmers wood glue is easier to sand than yellow glue. and is pleanty strong for our needs. Did not mean to be critical, just helpfull.
Regards
Jack
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 PM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a project that took me a year to complete, this is my first plan build little instructions and many obstacles to overcome. A lot of reading and trial and errors. But i managed, not perfect but complete.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76710.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1100507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18163.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1100508  
Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 PM
GhostRider32

Kahn,

Have you flown it yet? I'm still working on my cat.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Tired Old Man

Jack,

Thanks for the note on the white glue. I use the yellow for sheeting ribs. Sanding on that stuff is a no-no. Sig made some stuff that was really nice to sand but I can't remember the name.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
cuwaert

Well, one says this and the other thinks that, I think the least that engine manufacturers could do is to deliver a drawing with their engine sizes (for instance take a look at the zdz site). They all have internet sites do'nt they. for example CRRC pro is very mysterious
about their engine sizes.
When you have to measure the whole thing with a caliper you're in for errors, plus the drilling of the holes? more errors and all this together makes things not quite aligned at the end.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
frieshoo

T.O.M

I'm broke, lazy, and not busy.

However, 2009 is the year baby!

Well, maybe not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.