Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Any DL-50 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 AM
q8cub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any DL-50 issues?

Is the DL-50 worth the savings?

I do not mean to be negative and I would love to buy a same size engine for almost half the price, but the other day I was talking to guys at the field and they told me that 3 planes were lost last week. They were 50cc size planes and all had failing DL-50 engines with loud noise as they stopped!!! I am not sure what they meant by loud noise as engines failed or just before engine failure.

They also talked about "Plug getting hot" problem which I did not understand since I never owned a gas engine before although I have a long experience with 4-stroke nitro engines.

The same guys spoke highly of the DA-50 engine.

I am getting confused here because I read two weeks ago something about improvements in the DL-50 for known issues in the DA-50.

To sum up: Are there any known issues with DL-50 engines.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Any DL-50 issues?

To my knowledge none that haven't been user induced.

Hot plugs?? That's a new one.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 AM
reynolds74

All the engine have the bearings originally mounted with Loctite?

Andrea
Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
ChopperMike

I've been tossing this around for about a month myself. I'm going to be building a 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker powered by a gas engine (the shipping guy here at work just told me it's here!) and unless something happens before I buy the engine, it will be a DL-50. I've gone through hundreds of posts over the last few weeks and the vast majority of people who have the DL-50, many of which have or have had DA's, say you're wasting your money buying a DA over the DL.

It seems that many of the guys who are down on the DL engines are DA snobs who, like many other snobs who own an expensive car, motorcycle etc., say that the DL is junk, you get what you pay for etc. And I've also discovered that the DA is not without it's own problems. So buying a DA is not going to mean you won't have problems.

For my money the DL-50 is worth a shot. I'm well aware of the many knock-off engines. Over the years I've bought cheaper engines, many of which were copies of O.S. engines, only to take the engine back to the hobby shop and get the O.S. that I should have gotten in the first place. But everything I've read about the DL says its a very good engine.

One thing I've been told is make sure you buy it from DLUSA, the US distributor. The service you get from them is great and they apparently inspect the engine before it's shipped.

Just my .02 from a lot of surfing.

Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 AM
ChopperMike

Oh, almost forgot. In all my research on the DL I never heard any mention of a "hot plug" problem.

Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 AM
goirish

Have you taken a look at the RCGF gas engine. Talk about service, talk to Henry the distributor. Just my 2c
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
ChopperMike

Have you taken a look at the RCGF gas engine.
Oh great! Now I have to research another engine? The thread on the RCGF has over 1100 replies!

Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM
goirish

Might be worth a look. Seems like most everyone likes theirs. Henry has been very easy to work with. I have the 26cc but will be buying the 50 twin.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM
ChopperMike

I'll definitely have a look at the RCGF. One nice thing is they have quite a few different sizes. I think either of the 2 50cc or the 45cc would do well on my Spacewalker. Got plenty of time to think about it anyway.

Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 09:36 AM
goirish

Good luck on your build. Whatever you decide I hope you like it and it flys well.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Chineese engines are a mixed bunch with different reviews depending on who you ask. Never had a problem with my DL, but then I sold the plane and engine after just a few flights. I was inpressed. I had a DA a few years ago and the performance was close, although the machining on the DA was impressive and the casting of the DL wasn't as nice to look at.

As for the RCGF, I have not run mine yet, but Henry convinced me along with some other things I have read. The package out of the box is as good as any I have seen and the price can't be beat. I also have an XYZ 50 that does not have the power of a lot of 50cc engines, but it does start and run well.

On a negitive note for the Chineese engines I got a whopping deal on a CRRC 26. I got 2 new engines for the price of 1 new engine. (My first and my last)
Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Two other engine lines you may want to research are the Area engines by JC Engines and the MT engine line. Both have threads on this forum. Good luck with which ever you choose. There are some very good engines available to our hobby today at very affordable prices.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

We have around 15 DL50's flying at my fields. I have witnessed 2 ignition failures (user induced on both), 3 stuck rings (user induced on all), and one manufacturing defect that was corrected by Bob at DLUSA.

I lost a muffler, and one or two other stock mufflers failed for other members at the club.

I'm in the process of getting a RCGF and giving it a try. Looks like a solid performer as well.

I have heard of bearing issues. I received my first DL50 on 02/10/2006. I have about 400 flights, 4 crashes, and misc. abuse on the engine. No bearing problems what so ever. Penzoil 40:1 with a Vess 23A
Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Walt and Sage

I have SIX DLs and have had very few problems..
The mufflers were replaced free of charge by Tom at Valley View RC
The problems that I have had were my own: plug wire shielding rubbing
under a plastic clamp...
ALSO, DO NOT twist the plug cap wire when removing
My friend I fly with has four also and no problems...

Do Not run them to lean , sounds like why others are having
problems with heat and bearings... ( maybe not ) (maybe )
Old 01-02-2009, 12:38 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: ChopperMike

I've been tossing this around for about a month myself. I'm going to be building a 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker powered by a gas engine (the shipping guy here at work just told me it's here!) and unless something happens before I buy the engine, it will be a DL-50. I've gone through hundreds of posts over the last few weeks and the vast majority of people who have the DL-50, many of which have or have had DA's, say you're wasting your money buying a DA over the DL.

It seems that many of the guys who are down on the DL engines are DA snobs who, like many other snobs who own an expensive car, motorcycle etc., say that the DL is junk, you get what you pay for etc. And I've also discovered that the DA is not without it's own problems. So buying a DA is not going to mean you won't have problems.

For my money the DL-50 is worth a shot. I'm well aware of the many knock-off engines. Over the years I've bought cheaper engines, many of which were copies of O.S. engines, only to take the engine back to the hobby shop and get the O.S. that I should have gotten in the first place. But everything I've read about the DL says its a very good engine.

One thing I've been told is make sure you buy it from DLUSA, the US distributor. The service you get from them is great and they apparently inspect the engine before it's shipped.

Mike
Mike,

So what you are trying to say is that you are a O.S. snob.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:54 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: frieshoo

I received my first DL50 on 02/10/2006. I have about 400 flights, 4 crashes, and misc. abuse on the engine. No bearing problems what so ever. Penzoil 40:1 with a Vess 23A
Ahh the Pennzoil....you'll probably get another 400 by staying with that exact oil and mixture ratio.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: frieshoo

I received my first DL50 on 02/10/2006. I have about 400 flights, 4 crashes, and misc. abuse on the engine. No bearing problems what so ever. Penzoil 40:1 with a Vess 23A
Ahh the Pennzoil....you'll probably get another 400 by staying with that exact oil and mixture ratio.
Yep. My ultralight buddies put me on it, and I'll never go back to .... I'm not going to start another oil war thread.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I think I am going to go back to it as well. When I switched to synthetic I gained no rpm at all. So why switch? My engine has performed well and stayed next to carbon free with Penzoil.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Super08

I think I am going to go back to it as well. When I switched to synthetic I gained no rpm at all. So why switch? My engine has performed well and stayed next to carbon free with Penzoil.
Me too running the same ratio. DL over the DA is a no brainer.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
thevirginian

Yep, Pennzoil for aircooled 2-strokes is the ticket. After about two to three gal's the switch to BelRay Mc-1 is an even better choice. Your motor will be spick and span inside. My Dl-50 gets better and better with every flight I put on her. No problems what soever (knock on wood )
Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM
jbarnes

I've got four of the DL 50's and a DL100 and several DA's. The DL's seem to run fine but I think you have to expect those motors to be throw aways. The mufflers are of poor quality and although I've used all of mine they do seem to have a nasty habit of falling apart due to vibration I'm guessing. So, comparing the DL to the DA everyone says you get a free muffler but quality is a issue. You also have to deal with those metric bolts on everything. Its required me to stock an entire set of new bolts after buying these motors. I think what you need to factor in is the actual cost of ownership of the various brands. I'm always surprised at how much the used DA's bring. I'm not sure we are going to see the same pattern of high resale for the DL's. Customer service is top notch at DA. So, my humble opinion is that the actual cost of ownership for the DA may be slightly lower than the DL's but the cash outlay up front is greater going the DA route.

One thing for sure to check with the DL's is spark plug gap. They aren't even close to the recommended gap from the factory. I've had no ignition failures on my motors and have noticed that when using your ear they tend to run lean when compared to tach results. I'd use a tach to confirm the top end and back down 200 rpm to make sure you running rich enough. Also check you plugs to ensure they are not showing a lean burn.
Thanks, Jerry.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM
ChopperMike

So what you are trying to say is that you are a O.S. snob.
I guess with regards to glow engines I was (was, since everything I fly now besides the 1/3 scale Spacewalker I'll be building, is electric) an O.S. or Saito snob.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

I had tried a number of cheap glow engines and was never happy with any of them, always went back to O.S., Saito, or Supertigre. I think this may be the basis for some turning up their noses at engines like the DL, Area 51, etc. They've gone cheap on their engines and have regretted it.

Everything I read about the DL though says it performs very well and the service from Bob @ DLUSA is great. I've pretty much decided it's going to be the DL.

Good luck on your build. Whatever you decide I hope you like it and it flys well.
Thanks. I hear the Spacewalker is a sweet flying airplane and it's the biggest I've ever had! The biggest to this point was an 80" span Ultra Sport 1000 powered with a ST3000 and that was a nice flying airplane too.

Mike

Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 AM
weedy-burton

ORIGINAL: ChopperMike

Mike
speaking on behalf of the "DA snobs" I think some should remember where all the design and research for the DL was done.Im pretty sure the chinese didnt do it, you only have to sit a DA and A DL together to see that. If it wasnt for companys like DA and 3W etc I doubt youd have your DL'S. Dont for a second think that Im anti DL or Chinese engines either, Im actually waiting on the new DL 210 for a project on the go. Just give credit where credit is due, most engines have their problems and most are usually user related.

Cheers
weedy
Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 AM
ChopperMike

If it wasnt for companys like DA and 3W etc I doubt youd have your DL'S.
Oh absolutely. The DL is clearly a copy of the DA and by the pictures I've seen of the internals is very similar inside as well.

This is the case for a lot of things. Honda pioneered the variable valve timing that many other manufacturers are using on their engines. Toyota had the first Hybrid followed shortly by Honda and now there are many others building Hybrids.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
georgee

[/quote]
speaking on behalf of the "DA snobs" I think some should remember where all the design and research for the DL was done.Im pretty sure the chinese didnt do it, you only have to sit a DA and A DL together to see that. If it wasnt for companys like DA and 3W etc I doubt youd have your DL'S. Dont for a second think that Im anti DL or Chinese engines either, Im actually waiting on the new DL 210 for a project on the go. Just give credit where credit is due, most engines have their problems and most are usually user related.

Cheers
weedy
[/quote]

DL210?Pls be more specific.Is there a new DL engine on the way?

Georgee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.