Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

ORIGINAL: jack1933

I would expect a reputable company like Mercury Marine to print the truth about a product that can be used in very expensive outboard engines, why don't you try it before trying to imply the company is using false info on the lable. Weak post.
What you're talking about is faith. That's like religion. You asked a question, I gave you an answer that implied nothing, you inferred.

But it's thread drift. The original question has already been answered and it has nothing to do with Sabre oil.

CR
Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 PM
SportFlyer3

Default RE: Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

WOW !!!

Didn't really mean to start another "oil war" thread, just wanted some info since like I said before...Pennzoil was super hard to find. I probably traveled over 2-300 miles just riding around different cities that I visit looking for it on the weekends. Funny thing is SOPUS that makes the stuff is in Houston and that's only 1.5 hrs up the road from me so I thought it would have been easy to find...Wal-Mart I can hit the main highway out of town in any direction and hit one in 30 mins. The old Super Tech bottles of the same stuff used to say "manufactured by SOPUS Products" but the same bottles now say "manufactured in USA", so if it's the same stuff I'm golden. I've got a few bottles of Pennzoil for air cooled that I need to use up first before I'll need more so later if I can't find it I may switch.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 PM
kenhiraihnl

hi sportflyer...one advantage of living in the smallest state is that i don't have to drive very far to get to a wally world, garden equipment shop, motorcycle retailer, power equipment shop, napa, home depot, etc...i'm like you, money for oil is no big problem, but i hate to pay more than i have to, when the 'best oil' might be right under my nose at a bargain price...fwiw, the mystery of super tech is interesting, but i'd stick to the proven stuff (belray, stihl, husky, pennzoil, etc.)...btw, before i retired from osha, i spent a week at the chevron/phillips refinery at sweeny, just up the road from you...i lived in killeen too, and one of my kids is a 'texan'...ken
Old 02-14-2009, 03:21 PM
jack1933

If you have not tried it, then all you want to do is prove someone else wrong, or just like to argue. Another lame post, 2 of many I assume will be forthcoming.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: joseph185

I tried the quiksilver oil and had to disassemble the engine to change a leaky gasket and there was an alarming amount of wet oil in the internals like I had poured some in the engine. This was about after 1/2 gallon of fuel and it was not tuned exremely rich
Good
Old 02-14-2009, 05:09 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this worry about using the perfect oil when most of these gas two-stroke engines will end up busted to bits or passed on to someone else that will forget to put oil in the gas.

<Warning: Old Man Reminiscing Part> A fellow bought a two-stroke motor scooter off of me when in the USAF. He road around Luke AFB for a couple of weeks on the original tank of gas, happy as a peacock in a hen house. A few days after that he came walking into the barracks, looking like hell. He was covered in dust and dirt and looked as though he'd walked twenty miles out in the heat of the midday desert Sun. He was ticked because the engine seized up on him well out into the desert. Yes, motorscooters operate very well in the hard packed Arizona desert.

I asked him which kind and how much two-stroke oil he put in the fuel tank when he filled her up. He said, "What oil?"

I knew when I traded it to him for his Remington 66 .22 rifle that he was zoning out when I was telling him about adding oil to the gasoline, but I figured he got most of it. I was wrong. He killed the motorscooter.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 PM
SportFlyer3

ORIGINAL: kenhiraihnl

hi sportflyer...one advantage of living in the smallest state is that i don't have to drive very far to get to a wally world, garden equipment shop, motorcycle retailer, power equipment shop, napa, home depot, etc...i'm like you, money for oil is no big problem, but i hate to pay more than i have to, when the 'best oil' might be right under my nose at a bargain price...fwiw, the mystery of super tech is interesting, but i'd stick to the proven stuff (belray, stihl, husky, pennzoil, etc.)...btw, before i retired from osha, i spent a week at the chevron/phillips refinery at sweeny, just up the road from you...i lived in killeen too, and one of my kids is a 'texan'...ken

Cool, so you know what I'm talking about then. All the local places here and just up the road in Bay City will only carry their house brand from who knows where.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

Many of us have repeated over and over again that most oil brands will work great for the hobby flyer. Even in most cases outboard motor oil because while it is primarily designed for water cooled engines, most people don't really push their engine.

A couple of us from "professional" experience discourage Amsoil use because of carbon formation and excessive wear at the low mix ratios.

If I was a hobby flyer, I would use any good quality 2-stroke oil since the engine will probably get crunched in an impact before it even sees 100 hrs of run time. I would break in the engine on any quality oil but lawnboy which leaves a thick residue of "tar oil" on the piston after the breakin run. If the subsequent oil does not have a good mix of cleaning compounds, this gunk turns to carbon.

The difference between a multipurpose outboard oil (tw-3) and an oil developed for aircooled engines is the mix of cleaning compounds in the oil. These change depending on the expected running temperature of the engine.

Personally, I breakin engines with dino oil and use dino oil full time for the life of the engine. In high engine stress applications, I mix 20:1. In more "normal" work stresses, I mix 40:1. I currently use Pennzoil air cooled and I just ordered a couple of cases of 8 oz bottles for $27 a case plus shipping.

Elson
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM
jack1933

Are your notes about the outboard oil opinions or facts? If facts what data are they based on? If you are too busy to go get a gallon of Quicksilver and try it, then your opinions are just that, opinions. Why must we continue to try to prove some one else wrong on these forums? do we all sufer from NPD in some way? Outboards and our aircooled engines run at rthe same relative temperture, all this nonsence about aircooled engines run hotter than water cooled engines is simply not true.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

rcbugman is one of the extremely few (count them on ONE hand) persons who is on this forum who *does* run our engines in challenging environments for thousands of hours. He's done the work of looking at high time-high-stress usage engines at teardown, and found that lubricants vary.

The information about "outboard" v.s. "air-cooled" is absolutely accurate, and can be easily gleaned from the tech sheets of the products, at least for some of them.

Nobody is taking shots at your opinions about Quicksilver. In fact, many probably are learning from them.

As others have said, the original question has been asked and answered.

Edited by Rcpilot to clean up the thread.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I just received this message - THREE times - from jack1933. Guess I'm not supposed to post here anymore.

<Just who do you think you are, some kind of expert? your reply to my post to bugman is entirely out of line. I havbe noticed your surerior attitude on forums in the past, now you reply in this childish manner. Please keep your foundless opinions about whether or not I protest to much to yourself. "Judge not" jack strickland>
Old 02-15-2009, 06:41 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one have never tried Quicksilver and never will in an aircooled engine. I've used outboard oil before in one of my dirtbikes and when I tore it down to rebuild, it was full of carbon. Was the oil to blame? Don't know. What I do know is that Pennzoil Air Cooled is doing a good job for me. Piston crowns are clean, ring grooves are clean, mufflers don't have a gunk in them. I can get 8oz for a buck and a quarter and I won't be switching anytime soon.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 PM
rc bugman

Jack1933,

We are still waiting for you to provide data to backup your strong opinion about your favorite oil.

How about some pictures of one of your high time engines? Tear it down, show us the pictures before any cleaning, tell us about your flight regimes and tell us how many hours are on the engine according to your log book.

Elson
Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM
jack1933

ORIGINAL: rc bugman

Jack1933,

We are still waiting for you to provide data to backup your strong opinion about your favorite oil.

How about some pictures of one of your high time engines? Tear it down, show us the pictures before any cleaning, tell us about your flight regimes and tell us how many hours are on the engine according to your log book.

Elson
I am telling you that I have several engines that have had nothing but Quicksilver from the beginning, Including 5 that I have built over the years. The most time on any of them is a Sthil 5.7 c.1. with over 600 hours. Recently pulled the plug for Scott Morgan to look at the carbon, he said "not enough to even clean off" Send him an email if you don't believe me. Am not going to take any of them apart. Dont keep a log book, no reason to do so, as I know, after 30/50 years of using Quicksilver in my airplane engines/Merc outboards, that the internals of all the engines will be spotless. As I suggested in a previous post, instead of trying to prove me wrong, why don't you try some? I feel sure it will be far better than anything you are using now. Please.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:40 PM
rc bugman

Jack1933,

My problem is that I am a scientist. Peoples opinions without pictures or data are just that, peoples opinions.

Show me some pictures and then I will decide whether I should waste the taxpayer's good money in my time and materials to give it a second look. There were equally strong opinions about a number of oils including Amsoil until they were tested in a test which you attacked. Now, there is a much lower opinion of some of these oils.

No offense, but without pictures or data, I value your opinion as much as the people who used to tout Amsoil and Mobile. They did not hold up under testing.

I am finished with this thread.

Have a good day.

Elson
Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 PM
jack1933

Hi Elson, I am sorry you feel this way. you have a nice day also.

Jack
Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 PM
jack1933

Hi all, All I was trying to do is pass to you one little piece of info about a product that I have found to be excellent for our use. I have nothing to gain from this info, if you decide to try Quicksilver and like it, I would appreciate your telling me about the trial. Thanks

Regards to All

Jack
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd need to see how the stuff did in a real world environment.

Test as follows: Minimum engine run time of 8-10 hours continuous or longer. Props using pitches close or equal to the diameter. Extremely heavy aircraft weights for displacement. Relatively high running temps, say 125c to 150c for the duration of the engine run. Power levels rapidly cycled from say 4,000 to 7,000 rpm, with no time spent below 3,700 rpm. Let's make that engine work and earn a days pay. Need at least ten flights like that to enable a fair internal assessment. I don't give a hoot about piston crown carbon unless it's all the wrong colors. It's the muffler, exhaust port, piston skirt, and ring I want to see.

As for the usual types of model flying, the stuff is probably just fine. Then again, so is the cheap stuff at Wally World. One can toss all the ratings and manufacturer specs on the table they want. What the oil does in actual severe conditions is the proof of quality level.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 AM
tkg

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I'd need to see how the stuff did in a real world environment.
As for the usual types of model flying, the stuff is probably just fine. Then again, so is the cheap stuff at Wally World. One can toss all the ratings and manufacturer specs on the table they want. What the oil does in actual severe conditions is the proof of quality level.
Reality says that the average engine will last just as long with the Wally World stuff as with Quicksilver, If its mixed right, the carb is set right and the engine has proper cooling.
Further reality says that the life span is about 25 hr until they get planted[X(]
Old 02-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Tired Old Man

25 hours is a bit optomistic don't you think? Especially for a 3d flyer.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 AM
jack1933

Does the real world enviornment include any 2 stroke engine? I have done exactly what your test requires, in a Mercury outboard engine. In the 60's, we went offshore 50-100 miles about every weekend fishing in the gulf of Mexico. I cannot see how your test could be performed by the average modeler, flying model planes, maybe so in your line of work. As hobbiest, we can not devote that kind of time to flying. The Quicksilver will work as well or better than some oils and will only cost you 18-22 dollars a gallon. If one flys a lot, competition flying etc. This is certainly worth consideration.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 AM
jack1933

When exactly does an opinion become a fact??? My experience with Quicksilver is NOT an opinion, it is based on facts...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Tired Old Man

If it's worked for you then what's the problem generating all the rancor? Use it. Most don't fly outboards and none of my engines are watercooled but what the heck.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

This reply is not to Pat, but to this forum in general.

Again, Quicksilver IS NOT a typical outboard oil. It is a multigrade oil that is certified to NMMW TC-W3 AND API-TC rated. There is no reason to argue with Jack about this point because this oil carries one of the ratings we desire (API-TC or JASO-FC or better are the ratings I look for). It should work for most RC use, as his decades of use will attest. Jack isn't just a "putt around" pilot, he is a serious IMAC competitor in the Unlimited class.

Whether it works for a UAV is of little concern to about 99% of users. Very few of us fly for more than 15 minutes at a time. If I ran it I would maybe check the canister more often. With mufflers I wouldn't worry.

This argument is on both sides boils down to a misunderstanding of the qualities of Quicksilver, thinking it is just a standard TC-W3 oil and not actually rated for air-cooled engines as well.

I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so most of these useless "winter arguments" will subside. We are all friends here but get hung up arguing about the number of angels on the head of a pin.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
SportFlyer3

Here ya go people...

Put all you Quicksilver oil related crap here...

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8482443/anchors_8482443/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8482443]Quicksilver thread !!![/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.