Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rear dump Pitts muffler for G20?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 AM
JIMARRINGTON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear dump Pitts muffler for G20?

What are the pros and cons of using a rear dump Pitts muffler for the Zenoah G20 if any? Will it improve performance or take away performance? What are the sources? From what I have seen, the muffler for the G23 and G26 fit the G20. I have found one made by slimline and from Wackerengines. Wackerengines is quite a bit cheaper. Has anyone used one of their mufflers? I have used some of their other parts for weedeater conversions and they seem to be of good quality.

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
arobatx

Default RE: Rear dump Pitts muffler for G20?

-disruption of airflow through the cylinder fins with a pitts hanging right behind it, for less than optimal cooling
-They are heavier than a side dump diverter
-they are significantly better than OEM exhaust for the zenoah
-they are quieter and a bit less powerful than alternative side dump diverters, like Abell Rc or Bennett

-in most planes where the G20 would be installed, the weight of the engine is of key importance, and thus so would the power. If noise is of no consequence at your flying site, the Abell or Bennett is your best compromise of cost, weight and power. Of these two, the Bennett has a smaller footprint for tight in cowl installs.

-best performance and quiet, is with appropriate header/tuned pipe, followed by header/cannister
-next best performance would be with Abellrc or Bennett type side mount diverter, very light, inexpensive (loud though)
-third in line would be the wrap around pitts, average cost, average sound
-coming in last is the OEM mufflers, quiet, heavy, restrictive
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

In addition to Chad's list of mufflers, the Cermark's lightweight 2 oz. side dump unit for their SPE26 fits the G20 and gives a significant boost in power over the stock unit (similar to the Abell) while maintaining a reasonable noise level.

Karol
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
JIMARRINGTON

Thanks guys.

I ordered the side diverter from Dick Bennett this morning. I want to see if I can squeeze my G20 into a Hanger 9 P-40 that I have been flying with glow OS 91 FX. If it works out good I also have a Top Flite FW190 kit to build. I have been flying my G20 in a Great Planes Tiger Moth. Although it flies it well, I was a little disappointed with the power. Hope to see some improvement with the B&B diverter.

Tired of glow mess
Jim
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
karolh

The B& B diverter should add approx. 500+ rpm over the stock muffler. What size prop have you been using on the G20.

Karol
Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
JIMARRINGTON

TF 15x8 wood.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM
JIMARRINGTON

Received my side diverter for my G20 from B&B yesterday. Great service. Ordered on the Thursday and got it on a Tuesday. Looks like it will save a good deal of room under a cowling. I also ordered a points eliminator for an old Quadra 35 I have. Mr. Bennett even called me the day I ordered it to confirm my order. I had ordered it by fax. He also explained to me how to install the points eliminator. I was really impressed with the way my order was treated. Highly recommend their service.

Jim
Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 AM
karolh

Bill is one from the old school, dependable and a no nonsense person who knows his stuff.

Karol