Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA50I

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
69 roadrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA50I

Iam putting a DA50 on a yak what is the minimum dist. from the carb to fire wall. I have about 3/8 in. do I need to cut hole in fire wall and build a box on tha other side of the wall. Thanks 69 Runner
Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: DA50I

Cut a hole and just leave it open, that is all I do, If you build a box you might just cause some air flow problems for your carb.

Milton
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were just discussing this in the Extreme Flight 88" Yak thread. A couple of use put some balsa sheet on the inside blocking that hole. It can let fuel and oil into the engine box. Both of us had good luck blocking it up. Now the inside of my engine box is bone dry. Doesn't hurt engine performance. Like Milton said, the hole is to give the engine non-restricted air into the carb. We just got sick of the fuel and oil getting in. All rear carb engines do this from my experience. Really not a big deal if you wipe it up now and then.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about the same clearance, stock stand-offs, didn't cut any holes and engine performs flalessly for months now. think about how much air you really need to get by there.......venture is only the size of a dime
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
JoeAirPort

Well you don't want to get too close or you will impede air flow at some point. You can cut a hole and put a balsa box on the inside of the firewall to get lots of clearance and keep the fuel out of the engine box. Pretty easy to do. Or you can cut a hole and just put a balsa sheet on the inside (this is what I did). It will give the thickness of the firewall as added clearance. So you have the 3/8" you have now + 1/4" of the cut out firewall.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Mr. Mugen

Glad someone asked this. I was wondering the same. Mine has a hole cut in firewall already and I was wondering if I should block it. Only because of dust and some small wood shavings inside the fuse. Vacuum in the field box?

Kevin
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
JoeAirPort

Make sure you turn the plane upside down and shake that stuff out now and then....especially when you're all done.