Sullivan SkyWriter Smoke System

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
erikpmort
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sullivan SkyWriter Smoke System

I DIDN'T KNOW-

that people were plugging the power in to the reciever? i've heard of people doing that, but not with that pump... I am currently running mine off a very small 8.4V 600mah battery weighs 3.8 oz.... reason why is my first sullivan didn't work out of the box, i called they said "try a more powerfull battery, they are stiff when new" bought the battery, and fully charged, got nothing... they replaced the motor and got it back... then i had another motor a while later that had bad soddering connections.... so INSULATE THEM GOOD no direct mounting to the fuse... no way.... so i want to hear from people who have plugged their skywriter into an extra channel on the RX... does it draw much? i have lots of extra mah to go around cause i'm running fromeco's but other opinions i get are don't do that cause the pump can go bad or somthing and draw too much current? i'm not sure i've just heard that wasn't a good idea- but if i could save the battery weight i'd love to.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 AM
jaybird11

Why would you want to take a chance on starving your system and maybe loosing a airplane over 5 ounces or $20.00????? on large planes we use 4 batteries,one for reciever and thro, one for power bus to servos,one for egn, and one for smoke, if you cant do the weight get a bigger plane would be my sug.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
erikpmort
My Feedback: (52)

wow you pulled this post out of a time vault buddy
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
j-j

Default RE: Re: Bennet (B+B) Smoke System

Hi, I'm new to this smoke system. Just bought a STINGER 120 with a Bennet smoke system installed,and would like phone number or web site for bennet.The plane is old "97" and not finished . I hope you or someone can help. Thanks j-j
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/
Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Okay first off I realize this is a old subject, but my question is. Where do you hook up the lines for a three line setup? 1. is obviously to the pump, 2. is for filling, and 3 is a vent. Does the vent line need to be pressurized like the fuel tank? also if so can I put a tee in the pressure line to the fuel tank to pressurize the smoke tank. If this is not correct someone please tell me exactly how theirs is plumbed.
Thanks
Alan
Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 PM
RCAddiction

No, the vent line should not be pressurized. That would be bad. You have a pump, hence no need to pressurize the tank.

Clunk line to the inlet of the pump - Tygon
Fill line to a bent down piece of tubing or short clunk line, whichever you like - Brass, tygon, and/or Hayes black fuel line.
Vent line - make a loop of vent line up and over the top of the tank like you may see in many gasoline tank installations, so that you don't have smoke fluid siphoning out if the pump is off. Tygon.

Line from pump to engine should be mostly Tygon, and then make the last couple of inches which connects to the muffler out of Hayes black fuel line. Tygon will melt if connected directly to your muffler.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 PM
RCWI

Im having a problem with my pump running at less than 100% of travel from my reciver. its like there isnt enough current to run the pump at a low speed anymore. What could be wrong??
Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM
RCAddiction

So you are saying that the pump is either on full blast or completely powered off, with nothing in between?

If you hear the pump gradually increase in speed, but no more flow comes out until it's at 100%, look for air leaks on the intake, blockages/crimped lines on the outlet, a bad pickup in the tank, or a check valve that's hanging up and creating a blockage (that's not how they normally fail, though)

Check connectors, splices, switches, batteries (do a discharge and charge cycle). What battery voltage are you running? If all checks out positively, could the ESC in the pump has failed.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
glennnnski
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, i recently bought the Sullivan skywriter smoke pump and installed on my 27% carden yak54. this pump works great!!! Had trouble with the slimline smoke pump but this is great. would recommend this pump over any other pump. I am running the with a 26 Oz tank with a 700 MaH lipo battery. plugged right into battery port and works fine. i do have one question, what ATV percent would you recommend i have mine at 50% and it last maybe 5 min .
Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 AM
liquid_TR

using 1000cc tank on a plane with DL50, best continuous smoke time was around 6-7 minutes. with intermittent use it can go upto 10 minutes. BTW I cursed my sullivan skywriter alot last weekend. Its hard mounted under the engine box. the problem was it worked intermittently.. I got mad, went home at the end of the day, pulled the cover and found out there is virtually no soldering job done on the motor terminals. the noise capacitors legs were just crossed through the motor terminal holes, not even crimped to hold the terminals. - hence intermittent operation with vibration.. Now its soldered tight, and wont come off unless I want them to come off. You dont have to soft mount the pump, dont worry about vibration damage, as the speed controller inside is not hard mounted or glued to the base of the case. its free floating, so It wont get vibration damage any time soon.

I cant believe I paid 75USD for this regular gas pump with an ultra cheap esc in a "nice" casing.

I guess $2 for the motor, $3 for the esc, $2 for the pump, 50cents for the base plastic, $3 for the cnc casing, $2 for wiring and ferrite $60+ for the brand name...

I'd have done better job with alot better esc and motor combination on my own..
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
mattingly820

get rid of the ck valve all together,,,i took it out and no problem....works great my fellow pilots....really...
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: mattingly820

get rid of the ck valve all together,,,i took it out and no problem....works great my fellow pilots....really...
I realize this isn't a new post but, I did try removing the check valve and it worked good.