Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Old DL-50 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 PM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old DL-50 questions

I have an old DL-50 that I want to resurect....See attached picture.....Top is original DL carb....says its a walbro wt-414A....bottom is the carb that came on my DLE-61 that was replaced with the walbro equiv....question is....can I just switch the plate from the original walbro with the pulse line to the DLE 61 carb? They are identical except this plate.....is the pulse line needed? can I retrofit the '61 carb directly?

Next question....probably stupid.....I've got a Bowman ring for a DLE 55....is it the same ring as the '50? Just courious because I could fit it while I would have everything apart....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DL 50 vs DLE 61 carb.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	2101302  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:49 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The carb plates will interchange. Put the old one on the new carb, and hook the pulse line back up with new tubing.

The best way to be sure about the Bowman ring is to call Frank. In lieu of that you could put it into the 50cc cylinder and check the gap. The gap should be almost zero. Then check the fit in the piston ring land. It should fit with very little clearance but no sticking. You can use a feeler gauge to check the clearance. Less than .003" should be ok.

Be sure to check all the bearings in the old DL-50.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 06-07-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I still have an original DL 50 in my 1/5th Mig 3. Runs like a champ.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM
castlebravo

Thanks for the replies! The original carb has a busted fuel nipple so it's good to know I can just swap the new carb over with the original plate. I have an inquiry into Mr. Bowman. The reason I'm asking is I mistakenly ordered a ring for a DLE 55 thinking that this engine was one....then I pulled the cowl off and discovered the older engine. I got it installed in a H9 Carden Yak from my ex as part of a package deal. The Yak got a new DLE-61 as a result and I had a NIB Walbro that I just retrofitted to the 61. I just got a great deal on a GP Ultimate that this DL-50 would be perfect for. I'm scrounging the shop for stuff to put into it so I should have it flying fairly cheaply...

CB
Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM
castlebravo

Frank replied while I was typing the above....unfortunately the rings are different. Per Frank: The rings are different in
top to bottom thickness and DLE 55 has larger bore.
He offered to replace the ring for just a few dollars shipping however I'm just going to order the proper ring and then donate the 55 ring to our clubs bigger bird event as a prize. It'll be a $18.50 lesson to always look before pressing the "Buy it Now" button......

CB
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM
vertical grimmace

I used that DL 50 in a GP Ultimate as well. It is a great combo. Spongy stock gear did not like the big prop though, so I bought the gear for the Xtra 230 or whatever it was that GP offered. Like $12 for those struts. A direct swap, and they are much stiffer than the Ultimate's.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM
av8tor1977

Just for your info, don't trash can that old carb. It can easily be repaired.

See here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...rb-repair.html

Be sure not to miss post #6 in that thread.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 06-10-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM
castlebravo

Av8tor.....If you knew me....you would know that I NEVER throw anything away! I have so much crap laying around that I will never use again....but you never know.....after the apocalypse I may be able to use that 14.4Kb modem again.....

Vertical, Yeah....those gear legs were the true weak point on an otherwise excellent airframe. As a matter of fact.....because I never throw anything away.....I may still have a spare set from the old airplane.....good luck on finding them however I'll be running a 3 blade (Mezj 20x8) so hopefully my clearence will be a little better....we'll see

CB
Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 AM
av8tor1977

"Av8tor.....If you knew me....you would know that I NEVER throw anything away! I have so much crap laying around that I will never use again....but you never know.....after the apocalypse I may be able to use that 14.4Kb modem again....."

Funny!! But I think at that point we'll be back to smoke signals!

AV8TOR
Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by castlebravo
Av8tor.....If you knew me....you would know that I NEVER throw anything away! I have so much crap laying around that I will never use again....but you never know.....after the apocalypse I may be able to use that 14.4Kb modem again.....

Vertical, Yeah....those gear legs were the true weak point on an otherwise excellent airframe. As a matter of fact.....because I never throw anything away.....I may still have a spare set from the old airplane.....good luck on finding them however I'll be running a 3 blade (Mezj 20x8) so hopefully my clearence will be a little better....we'll see

CB
The last time I checked, the extra 330 gear were still available from Tower. It is nice to have an Ultimate in your hanger. I suppose the best option would be Aeroworks. That ARF did have a good long run compared to others.