Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

TBM's RCS SV 100cc twin another new twin on the block

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

TBM's RCS SV 100cc twin another new twin on the block

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
js/rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TBM's RCS SV 100cc twin another new twin on the block

I'm sticking with a proven winner ; DA !! American made too & it runs great. My DA came to my local hobby shop from TBM & it wasn't even in a box, just wrapped in some plastic & if I'd known I wasn't going to get mine in a box like they're probably shipped from DA in, I would have ordered it right from DA. I wonder what TBM does with all the DA boxes ?
Thanks, John
Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
flaminheli

ORIGINAL: js/rc

I'm sticking with a proven winner ; DA !! American made too & it runs great. My DA came to my local hobby shop from TBM & it wasn't even in a box, just wrapped in some plastic & if I'd known I wasn't going to get mine in a box like they're probably shipped from DA in, I would have ordered it right from DA. I wonder what TBM does with all the DA boxes ?
Thanks, John
[sm=lol.gif] Sorry, I couldn't help but to laugh at the American made part.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 PM
abacro

Sorry for the mix up guys,that is a Typo! It swings the Zoar at 6500rpms,NOT 7500,my bad. I usually catch my typoes,but missed that one. Again,sorry for the confusion!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without getting into the American vs this or that syndrome, a very large percentage of a DA engine is made here at home. The ignition is made in Australia. Not a bad thing due to good QA methods.

Cranks are hard to come by from anywhere in the world. There are only a few places that make them in usable blanks that we can use for our engines. That number narrows down considerably when you eliminate the places that make terrible blanks. Cylinders for various engines can come from most anywhere, but if you want good ones the price goes up, which is reflected in the end product selling price. Note that applies to places like DA, BME, Taurus, FPE, Fox. So-so cylinders can be had most anywhere and at dirt cheap prices. Unfortunately the port sizing and locations can be all over the cylinder and the internal machine work may be more appropriate for an octagon instead of a concentric cylinder. The REAL good ones are made right here in the U.S. of A. in two or three locations but few of you would want to pay what they cost. If you did you would most definately notice the better performance.

So though a part here and there on a DA may not be "made in USA", the quality of the engine line is among the best there is. I'm not a DA fanatic by any means but I do have a lot of respect for people that make a great product, and DA does so.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
aussiesteve

Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: abacro

Sorry for the mix up guys,that is a Typo! It swings the Zoar at 6500rpms,NOT 7500,my bad. I usually catch my typoes,but missed that one. Again,sorry for the confusion!
I KNEW it was just a simple typo, I hope we weren't too hard on you.

6500 rpm on a Xoar 28x10 is still impressive. I am glad that engine works so well for you.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
TVL
My Feedback: (5)

What other two engines are made in the USA or should I say mostly made and assembled in the USA . Like I have said in some of my other post I'm finally getting back into the sport after being away from it for over 20yrs. I wouldn't mind paying more for any engine now matter where it was built if it was extremely better than all the rest of them out there. But is any engine really worth double or in some cases almost triple the price. If so I'll just have to settle for a reasonably price used one that is that much better. Normally I just buy the higher priced name brand stuff in what ever I'm getting into like my bass fishing tournament gear nothing butt the best, but being a construction worker and getting laid off this winter for three weeks something that hasn't happened in about 10 yrs. and work is sill slow I just can't see going overboard right now to get this plane airborne Please keep the replies coming. THANKS Terry
Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: js/rc

Thanks, John
My ZDZ Super 80 came from TBM in the stock box. The LHS owner is probaly pulling your leg.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
TVL

Is that what you have on the Hulk bi plane you have pic's of on my other post asking about how much torque is needed on the rudder of a 35% plane that will have about 27 to28 lbs. flyweight. And how does your ZDZ perform.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Tired Old Man

Taurus is mostly made here in the U.S, but I have to say that the Mahle cylinders are made in Germany or the immediate area. The ignitions are all CH.

BME has a good portion of their engines made here. Cranks (very good products!) come from the the same place that DA's do unless DA moved that part to the home base. Cylinders are made overseas. That brings us back to what we are willing to pay for good cylinders again...

There's a possibility that a good line of engines could be coming out of Australia (all Ozzie made) in the next year or so. Can't say who the maker will be yet though.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 AM
aussiesteve

Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 AM
TVL

ORIGINAL: flaminheli

This site even states that it has enlarged DA cylinders plus a little better pic of it. [link]http://svgroup.en.alibaba.com/product/204108257-50409291/R_C_Airplane_Hobby_Model_Engine/Latest_Version_100cc_Twin.html[/link]
Go back to flaminheli's post on page 1 of this Thread and pull up his attachment it says they are using two enlarged (DA 50 CYLINDERS). if this is true your getting good Cylinders on a engine for under $500.00 or should I say the best cylinders If they really are {DA} CYLINDERS
Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 AM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"If they really are {DA} HEADS "

They are not.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

They most certainly WILL NOT be DA cylinders. There is no way DA would allow that without a huge fight.

Also, alibaba is just a marketing/distributor organization and not the actual manufacturer. It is a site devoted to lining up manufacturers' products to interested bulk buyers or importers.

p.s. my brother's and Dad's DA-100s came directly from DA wrapped in a plastic bag and in a generic box. I guess DA feels they do not need to ship every engine around the world, so why waste money fabricating some form-fitting box.

TVL, I have several ZDZ's and they all run great. IIRC the Super 80 is on sale at Troy Built for around $675 right now, that is a hard price to beat on a GOOD engine.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Tired Old Man

I forgot to mention that Fox and FPE are largely a U.S. products for those interetsted. There's two more engine makers that makes some really nice twins here at home but I can't remember the names. Perhaps someone else will input them later. None of this is to start an arguement, just for reference info.

TVL,

What has lead you to beleve that DA has the best heads made? Leaving that aside, if anyone else was using DA heads they would have to have been bootlegged out the back door of the casting foundry and I don't think that's happening.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 PM
TVL

Sorry guy's I meant cylinders. I edit in the correction
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The term heads and cylinders are synonymous.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 PM
TVL

In the TBM's overview on this engine they say not to use gas with ethanol/methanol because it will damage the diaphragms in the carb, is this true to all of the gas engines out there or is it that RCS is using a inferior carb.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 AM
mrbigg

Most carb's gaskets nowadays seem to take alky alright. I've never had a problem. I'm using it in my SV 26.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 PM
TVL

Mrbigg do you have any other SV engines besides the 26, and are you happy with its performance. I'm surprised their isn't more people willing to share their experience with these engines whether it is good or bad. There has to be a lot of them being used out there.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM
mrbigg

I only have the 26 andI only have a few ounces through mine. It started right up and was easiy to tune. I'll have it flying by Saturday hopefully. I reopened a business and have been short on time.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:59 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

A little off the topic but is Taurus engines still up and running ??i thought Bill O was giving it up . Just curious i have had 3 of the 52 size in the last 5 years and one of the best running 50 cc motors out there.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Anyone have any ifo on the sv100 from tbm?? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:23 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: BAS

A little off the topic but is Taurus engines still up and running ??i thought Bill O was giving it up . Just curious i have had 3 of the 52 size in the last 5 years and one of the best running 50 cc motors out there.
I was just looking at their site the other day. I believe they are still in business and it looked like they were coming out with a couple of new engines.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM
murray44

I don't have any info concerning theRCS SV 100 twin, but I do have some time on the RCS SV 50cc. I bought it from Mike when he was still in Maryland and want to say that it has performed well for me. I only have 5-6 flights on it and have it installed inan Aero-Works 35cc Extra. I'm using a ZDZ 22-8 prop with aTBM silent beauty pitts muffler. This model still required approx 8oz of nose weight to achieve the recommended 3" cg location. I'm now in the process of slowly removing the installed noseweight between trips to the flying field. As stated, the SV 50 has performed wellandprovides plenty of power forthis model. I don't have any rpm numbers at this time, but I have checked theplug color which is what I would call medium/darkso hopefully the needles are set about right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.