Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 50NG questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ZDZ 50NG questions

Need a little help…

I have an older (not black head) ZDZ 50NG that I picked up at a swap meet, to be installed in my GP Ultimate 1.60 Spent a while last night trying to test run it on the stand, need to do a few things. (did get it to fire and run for a bit - just not well)

The Walbro carb doesn’t seem to be drawing fuel, might as well rebuild it. Carb has “Walbro” “WT” “76A” and “319” stamped on it – good online source for a rebuild kit?

The spark plug is a “BPMR6F”, and sits in an inverted “cup” that also captures the plug cap (strange indeed). Does someone sell an ultra thin walled socket for this? Looks like 5/8”/16mm, but even my thinnest walled sockets aren’t close to fitting in the “cup”

Looking at the TroyBuiltModels site, I _think_ he has all this – but not sure what I’m looking at.

Thanks

Jeff/LAX
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ZDZ 50NG questions

Carb kit is a Walbro Part # K10-WAT, should be available at the local lawn equipment or saw shop. All new ZDZs come with the special socket for the spark plug, call TBM, they'll have'em. If you want to replace the spark plug make sure you notice the cut off tip, it won't fit in the cap if you don't cut it off.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 PM
OldFart1

Thanks Jody. Local saw shops are pretty scarce down here - found this on Troy's site

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WALRKWT225.html

Troy has the plug and plug socket too - but the plug is "standard". Any trick to cutting the top I need to know, or just match the old one. Gap?

THANKS!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:14 PM
pe reivers

just cut the top off. Gap 0.5-0.6mm is fine.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 PM
OldFart1

Thanks Pe. Troy carries the modified plug - but is of course out of stock!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

That is the right carb kit, I have plugs if you need them, I'll modify it for you also if you want.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 PM
OldFart1

Thanks Jody - I ordered a carb kit, plug and plug socket from Troy. It will be at least a month (maybe two!) before the plane is ready - I'll try my hand at modifying a plug, if it doesn't work I'll let you know - appreciate the offer!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 PM
pe reivers

If you can handle a hacksaw, you will do fine. Just don't cut off the flange that's on top of the ceramic insulator.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new friend just brought his ZDZ over to me this AM. I told him about the Frank Bowman piston ring, and he sent it to frank for the new piston ring. Boy does that make a difference on how much more the crankcase sucks air in now...even without spark plug in. He has a Falcon ignition and the spark does not seem good at all. We are thinking of replacing it with the RCexcell CD unit. What do you think? I did notice that with the cap that is on the Falcon ignition does not let the spark plug thread all the way in...so about 3-4 threads are exposed in spark plug hole. Seems like a bad thing...sharp edges can act like a glow plug!!!! Any and all Ideas will be helpfull. Best Regards Capt,n