Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Venom Temp Monitor

I know some of you have installed the Venom Temp Monitors on your Gas engines to monitor CHT. I've PM'd a few of you inquiring about your install, and what you think of em. I thought I would drop this thread out here, for those of you that either have the Venom Temp Monitor, or something similar that you have installed on your Gas Aircraft engine. I'm interested in hearing about your experience with them, how you opted to mount them...and of course if any of you have modified the leads for a more convenient install...etc.

I understand these things will not be entirely accurate, I am just looking for a better baseline for in flight temps, when the measurement matters, and I figure these things are a pretty decent value as compared to using a hand held gun, long after the engine has been cooling.

Please post photos if you have them.

Thanks!
    Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Venom Temp Monitor

I'm interested also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will post some this weekend if mine come in tomorrow.

The temps i am seeing (90 deg. heat) during extended hovering, and then very long uplines I hit 311 deg. which is fine. It does not run there all the time. this is worst case. I can't tell you what my avg. running is but from seeing what it does on the ground is anywhere from 230-270.

I will be doing another install on my composite as soon as my other ones come in. Will post pics then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is a pic of the front of my H9 Extra 260 35% with DA-100. Iput red lines (sorry I did it with Paint) where I put the temp. monitor between the fins. Keep in mind that i did this on the back side of the head as I knew this would be the hottest part of the head I could easily attach it to.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82202.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	1203770  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Venom monitor is very accurate. Everyone including my self that I Know of that tested them in boiling water got a 212 deg. reading. The main down side is a short battery life. This can be cured by attaching wires and using a larger external battery. a 3a battery will last a long time. The sensor lead is short. I don't know if it can be extended or not. The reading you get will depend on where the sensor is mounted. Most people wrap it around the top cylinder fin and get max readings in the mid to high 200 deg. range. A friend with a DA 150 lost nearly 100 deg. peak by slightly richining the high end with no rpm loss or noticeable change in engine operation. This is a very useful tool.
    Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where do you mount the readout ?
    Welcome to NJ...Where fun comes to die.
    Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have extended the leads and with no noticable effect to the accuracy of the temp gauge. I mount them in the fuse where I can see them either thru the canopy or when I remove the canopy I can see them then.

The max temp I get when I do extended hovering and then a very long upline is 311 which is fine. Some say its way too high, but after talking with Tired Old Man and a few others that have been around engines and have tested them it's ok to hit peak there, just don't run it there all the time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ordered three of them ( one for each plane ).
    How many senor leads come with the unit?
    On a twin, can one unit only temp one cylinder head?

Here is where I got mine.
    http://www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=VNR0602

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that is where I got mine.

If you are running a twin, you will need two temp monitors.

hope that helps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I temporarily mounted mine on the outside of the cowl until I was finished adjusting the carb. Used double sided tape and it never even thought about coming off. Mine did not start making good power until the inflight max temps hit around 255 degrees. You want to place the monitor where you can get to it to be able to turn the unit on and off. This will reset the max temp so you can experiment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Mine did not start making good power until the inflight max temps hit around 255 degrees."

Somethying so many have yet to learn. Good job
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the RCU Gods would give edit ability back I could go back and fix my fat fingered "y" input into the word something.

So how 'bout it RCU? I might even contemplate posting in this and a couple other forums more instead of other sites.
    Never lie, and never minimize or gloss. Tell it like it is and let the pieces fall where they may. The truth always wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you saying they took your "EDIT" button away?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like how they won't let you post other website names .
    You ever try to type in Flyin.Giants and see what happens?
    Just try it and you'll see what I mean, sooooooooo stupid.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tired Old Man... would a temp of 310 peak and around 250-270 normal running be an ok temp on a DA-100? I see no adverse effects of running this temp.

I run penzoil 32:1 all the time. makes a little mess, but like the extra oil.

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcdude7

Are you saying they took your "EDIT" button away?

Yes, and the reasons have been explained in detail to him on several occasions.

The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It doesn't take but one Auburn man to be a majority" -Coach Pat Dye

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been using these for years now, they are very accurate. I place mine to wards the top of the cylinder trying to hit the top of the combustion chamber on the back side of the cylinder which is the hottest. As mentioned earlier, most engines don't start running good until the go above the mid 200's. A temp of 300 is no big deal, with these gauges you never know how long it was at the peak temp, it could have been for just a brief second and as soon as you back off of the throttle or change the maneuver the temp will drop fast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 310 peak and 270 average on the 100 is just fine. You could get it a little lower but you're not in any danger zone for the averages, but don't get much higher for the peaks.

blw

Yes, they took my edit button away and at the time they had cause. They have not had cause for quite some time now. It's been purely punitative for the last month or better. I've asked if and when they intend to return it but they have not dignified the requests (plural) with a reply. If they don't want me they should come out and say so.

For the record, at the time I became ornery and deleted a lot of posts my condition was one of near death and I really didn't care much about the day to day mundane stuff. Since it's been established that I will survive and recover I've become a bit more moderate in my outlook. So once again, if you guys don't want me here man up and say so. Otherwise continuing to restrict my ability to edit only illustrates how petty you can be.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These gauges are great to use when doing baffling, checking pipe tunning, etc. People would not realize how much temp they can drop with a good baffling job and  low pressure extraction.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks everyone for your input thus far!  RTK, you were on my list to contact so thanks for throwing in your experience. 

Some of you have commented privately, regarding the lengthening of the leads on these monitors, for more convenient locating of the device in the airframe.  It sounds like the use of a servo extension would suffice without negative affect, as tested by at least one of you.  And after reviewing what Eagletree is doing with their sensors, including the use of servo extensions, it seems like this would be a safe bet. 

What do you think?

Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The eagle tree is the cats meow if you want to spend the money.

I extended the leads on one of mine with some servo wire I had laying around and it is working fine. One other thing about the batteries, the ones that come with it don't last long, but if you go to your local pharmacy you can buy a watch battery that is the same size, a maybe tad thicker I think, and it will last much much longer. Only cost you a couple of bucks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent advice, thanks again!
    Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got mine in the mail.
    I installed two of them on my 100c Yak and will check temp and tune next couple of times out.
    The third will go in my 50cc Yak.
    After I am done messing with the 100cc Yak, I will install them on my 100cc extra 260 and start over again.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca83030.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	1210327  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the Eagle Tree with most of the whistles and bells. You can get a bunch of the Venoms for the cost of one Eagle Tree. If you don't have a laptop the Eagle Tree is not what you want. If you don't have a laptop and want an Eagle Tree the new mini laptops would be a perfect choice for transportability and use at the flying site. Gonna spend a lot of $$ to get the entire combo though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew my Yak today for three flight.
    It was 72 degrees outside when I flew.
    Cowl has been baffled since I built the plane.
    DL-100 is running awsome, great idle, spot on mid-range and it will rip the mejzlik 27 X 10 all day on the high end.
    I put a Venom on each cylinder at the last fin on the head ( closet to the sparkplug ).
    All flights were 15 minutes of 3D/sport flying.
    1st flight ( sitting in the plane ) the left cylinder had a max temp of 229.8 degrees and the right maxed @ 237.0 degrees.
    I then turned low and high needles a blade width leaner.
    2nd flight temps were, left @247.1 and right @ 237.3
    I didn't see any performance differance in the needle changes, so I turned them back to see if it would balance the head temps.
    3rd flight they were, left @ 237.7 and right @ 234.3
    Runs awsome and temps are about equal.
    I am happy.
    T.O.M., do you think the engine is running too much on the cool side?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast