Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mt 57..... Runs like crap

Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mt 57..... Runs like crap

I tried moving the sensor. I modified it so it would move a quarter inch in the direction of advance. I started at the factory location and slowly tried moving it a little at a time advancing. i noticed no change other than when i got it up to 1/4" past the factory location, the top end rpm decreased slightly. The engine still started and idled very good and low, even at the most advanced setting. Before giving up, i went the other way and retarded a little. the sensor wasn't modified for this direction so could only go a little....no change. I am now waiting on a new ignition from tommy that is in the mail (from china). If the new igniton doesn't do the trick, i have run out of ideas. I'll report back when i have tried the new ignition....
Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
outssider

well i tried a new ignition and it's the same, no change.

here is a video that says it all....
i know the engine sounds fat on the low end but it's not ! it will sound the same no matter how lean you make the low end ...even solean that it wont hardly transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDKuxIe954

Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

if it won't adjust out put a new carb on it, I have had a few problems with the HDA carbs and usaly a new one solved the problem.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: outssider

well i tried a new ignition and it's the same, no change.

here is a video that says it all....
i know the engine sounds fat on the low end but it's not ! it will sound the same no matter how lean you make the low end ...even solean that it wont hardly transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDKuxIe954

Definitely has a miss to it.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
outssider

ORIGINAL: KenLambert

if it won't adjust out put a new carb on it, I have had a few problems with the HDA carbs and usaly a new one solved the problem.

the carb adjusts fine...i can lean the crap out of it...but it doesn't change the sound of the engine...i triedleaningit so far that i got a 12 minute flight and only used about 6 oz of gas.......
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: outssider

ORIGINAL: KenLambert

the carb adjusts fine...i can lean the crap out of it...but it doesn't change the sound of the engine...i triedleaningit so far that i got a 12 minute flight and only used about 6 oz of gas.......
Yes, but can you lean it far enough to kill it? High and Low end?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:45 PM
outssider

high end yes...low end i adjust when off, so if i tried that, it just wouldn't start.....have leaned down so far it wont transiton atallthough....just stops.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:57 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it do this on the ground too? You may have some in-cowl air pressure/turbulant issue that only affects the low to mid while you're flying. You can plumb your carb vent plate to the insdie of the fuse. I'd try this. If that diesn't work you can install a velocity stack. One of these or both may clean up this missing.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
outssider

if you look at video, you will see it does it on the ground too!
one of the first things i tried was venting to inside of cowl from that diaphram plate.

have not tried velocity stack
Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't vent it "outside" if that's would you meant. I'd plumb it into the fuse to keep drafts off it. That's what I did. It helped. But the velocity stack got the most improvement. They cost about $3 plush shipping and can be purchased in many places. Ithink Wrongwayrc.com has them. ValleyviewRC.com has them. And probably any vendor that sells CCRC engines.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
outssider

i vented it inside of fuse...but it made no difference anyway...ran like crap before and after

engine is going in for service tomorrow....i'll check back in when i get the motor back
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
scottr/c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having almost same problem i can not get rid of the miss. not very pleased with it call the service and they said they would call me today or tommrow and well try to trouble shut i but id rather just sent it in.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:58 PM
ACMichael_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jake,
I noticed your response some time ago to an MT-57 engine that was running poorly and made some indications about the proper setting for the reeds. I too have an MT-57 and was wondering if you could tell me if the condition of the reeds impacts the ability of the engine to create the suction necessary to pull fuel from the tank. I cannot prime my MT because no matter how long I flip the prop the fuel never progresses towards the carb. I have rebuild the carb and checked for a spark and have been trying to turn over the prop on a fuel system that I know works because I pulled it from a working setup.

It is my hope that someone might be able to share some wisdom with me so I can finally go flying!

Thanks

Michael
Old 07-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Solder the hole shut in the choke butterfly. Makes a world of difference. If you are not good at soldering, just clean it good and use a small piece of aluminum muffler tape. Also check the gasket between the crankcase halves. The 57 is famous for blowing a chunk of the gasket out.