Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Dan, Gary and others using a tuned pipe,

More info on the coupler from Rendegade who advised me that the stuff he is using is from Purosil, which is an Aussie supplier. Rendegage said that it lasts about 100 flights, is relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Got the specs on the Purosil silicone tubing (SAE J20 R1) and did some poking around today and found a [link=http://www.siliconehose.com/commerce/ccp11370-870id4-ply-silicone-saej20-compliantgl-c40-087.htm]USA-based supplier[/link] of the material, whose specs are SAE J20 R1, which they refer to as ''silicone turbo hose''. The 7/8'' ID size costs $0.83/inch, and I ordered 18 inches of it to try out.

EDIT: price/unit corrected! Thanks, d bodary...
Bob,

If it lasts 100 flights it would be very worthwhile. Regular couplers on glow stuff lasted about 100 flights so that would be on par. I read the specs....apparently the reinforcement is polyester which doesn't have a temp rating more than 400F. I wish they made the right size from the higher temp red silicone with the nomex reinforcement, but they apparently don't. Have you called them? Maybe there is something available not shown on line

I maidened the Extra today. Info on the EF Exra 300 78" thread. My header came off the engine after 15 minutes of flying. I like your solution on the bolts and will likely copy it

Matt
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM
rlnstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone received their engine lately? I ordered mine 2/25 and haven't heard anything yet.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 AM
cmoulder

If it lasts 100 flights it would be very worthwhile. Regular couplers on glow stuff lasted about 100 flights so that would be on par. I read the specs....apparently the reinforcement is polyester which doesn't have a temp rating more than 400F. I wish they made the right size from the higher temp red silicone with the nomex reinforcement, but they apparently don't. Have you called them? Maybe there is something available not shown on line

I maidened the Extra today. Info on the EF Exra 300 78" thread. My header came off the engine after 15 minutes of flying. I like your solution on the bolts and will likely copy it

Matt
Received the hose in the mail yesterday. It's interesting, with a sort of blue-colored, coated, spiral-wrapped fabric on the outside and red silicone inside with the strengthening fibers embedded. Looks good, but only time will tell. I won't be installing it right away because my latest arrangement is still working pretty well. However, it is a bit more cumbersome and more difficult to repair in the field than the simple hose. If the hose works it will be a better long-term choice.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

I maidened the Extra today. Info on the EF Exra 300 78'' thread. My header came off the engine after 15 minutes of flying. I like your solution on the bolts and will likely copy it

Matt
Received the hose in the mail yesterday. It's interesting, with a sort of blue-colored, coated, spiral-wrapped fabric on the outside and red silicone inside with the strengthening fibers embedded. Looks good, but only time will tell. I won't be installing it right away because my latest arrangement is still working pretty well. However, it is a bit more cumbersome and more difficult to repair in the field than the simple hose. If the hose works it will be a better long-term choice.
I called them yesterday. They don't make a 7/8" hose from red, high temp, gasoline resistant silicone with the nomex reinforcement. The smallest they make from that combination of material is 2"...sigh!

Matt
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 AM
cmoulder

I called them yesterday. They don't make a 7/8" hose from red, high temp, gasoline resistant silicone with the nomex reinforcement. The smallest they make from that combination of material is 2"...sigh!

Matt
OK, if the red-colored silicone has an increased resistance to gasoline, then the main (inner) layer of this hose might be the right stuff.

Also, I noticed that since the engine is getting close to completely broken in and properly leaned, the exhaust has very little oil and gas residue coming out the pipe, and the inside of the pipe taper has a little dark gray-ish carbon but is dry.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob
I switched props to Mejzlik 18X6 on stock muffler. I got 9200 RPMs on the ground. Was flying great until I had a radio cliche. I had no control until about 3 ft from the deck, slammed through a huge tumbeweed and amazingly recovered!!! I flew it back about 75 yards and landed her like a B-17 coming back from a mission over Berlin. HOLY@$#%!!
She took some flack horizontals,elevator, left wing, flap and aileron required complete recovering. The good news, the Giant Stick airframe is good to go. THis is one RUGGID model!

The Syssa stayed running and helped me save the plane.
Glad your Stick was able to take a bea.... (wait, that may sound bad) survive the impact.

I think if my engine got up to 9200 RPMs the DB police would be after me. I try to keep below 8500.

How has the engine been running lately, did you get through a gallon of fuel yet?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Got engine back from prop hub key fix. Put plane together and went flying, i have been missing my gasser!! Runs very well 8850 high, running at 8730 with vess 18/6.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob
I switched props to Mejzlik 18X6 on stock muffler. I got 9200 RPMs on the ground. Was flying great until I had a radio cliche. I had no control until about 3 ft from the deck, slammed through a huge tumbeweed and amazingly recovered!!! I flew it back about 75 yards and landed her like a B-17 coming back from a mission over Berlin. HOLY@$#%!!
She took some flack horizontals,elevator, left wing, flap and aileron required complete recovering. The good news, the Giant Stick airframe is good to go. THis is one RUGGID model!

The Syssa stayed running and helped me save the plane.
Glad your Stick was able to take a bea.... (wait, that may sound bad) survive the impact.

I think if my engine got up to 9200 RPMs the DB police would be after me. I try to keep below 8500.

How has the engine been running lately, did you get through a gallon of fuel yet?
Thanks,
Engine is doing well so far. I have a gallon through it with max RPM at 9500 for the Mejzlik 18 X 6. I tuned it down to 9200 on the ground. It was loud but not any concern where Im flying. I prefer the 18 x 8 and am looking for a Mejzlik. I've re-covered the stick and it looks as good as new. I still can't believe it survived with so little structural damage. Its a TANK! More flying this weekend...
Old 04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
jdeltano

Just mounted my Syssa to my Pilot RC 73" Yak

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84171.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1414972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82237.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1414973  
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
AJsToyz

Got to meet Todd today at the show, looks like he was selling engines pretty fast!!

Andy

Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a engine from Todd this morning. I was there 1 min after they opened. I have it here beside me.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:14 AM
AJsToyz

So you were one of the guys that grabbed one up fast?! Good move!! If I learned anything at the show from the past couple years, get there early. One of my brothers was there early and he could not believe people were taking stuff out @ 9:30 in the morning.

After show day, its "Honey do" day, I might try to run mine around the yard a little later and let it breath.

Andy
Old 04-10-2010, 06:26 AM
w8ye

Todd and his dad were very nice and accommodating
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

It must be a very rewarding feeling to see one's product such as Todd's Syssa engine doing so well so early since it's introduction. Hopefully he will lend a listening ear to all you end user's meaningful opinions and incorporate subtle changes and improvements along the way to help make a good product even better. So far it seems as if he has indeed been listening to our needs.

Karol
Old 04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I bought a engine from Todd this morning. I was there 1 min after they opened. I have it here beside me.
You will love the engine.

BTW - I noticed on your profile you had a starter bench with some short uprights that would not work well for high wing airplanes and another bench that may tip forward with the power from some of the larger gas engines if the benches are made from untreated lumber or if the flight box is not mounted properly. I also did not like my transmitter balanced on a 2x4.

Here is a different design that will not tip forward as easily and it has plenty of room to put a flight box, transmitter, etc. on the top. It is also very easy to build, even at the field. They can be made from treated or untreated lumber. The second picture has the old bench in the background, notice the concrete block at the tail of the bench to prevent the tipping problem, and Walt with his "gasser" running up on the new bench.

Name:	Lj22445.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1415323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95767.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1415324  
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 AM
AJsToyz

Now I feel like a turd, I didn't realize that was Todd's dad! <I didn't shake his hand> I should have figured though, seems like Todd and his dad get along very well and do alot of stuff together.

Andy
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You will love the engine.

BTW - I noticed on your profile you had a starter bench with some short uprights that would not work well for high wing airplanes and another bench that may tip forward with the power from some of the larger gas engines if the benches are made from untreated lumber or if the flight box is not mounted properly. I also did not like my transmitter balanced on a 2x4.

Here is a different design that will not tip forward as easily and it has plenty of room to put a flight box, transmitter, etc. on the top. It is also very easy to build, even at the field. They can be made from treated or untreated lumber. The second picture has the old bench in the background, notice the concrete block at the tail of the bench to prevent the tipping problem, and Walt with his "gasser" running up on the new bench.
I didn't care for the bench with the short uprights you were referring to either. I always had someone hold the plane for me with that bench that was closest to the shade. I don't know who made it for it was at the previous field before we moved to that one. I was instrumental in getting 5 new AMA style benches (actually laid out by Charlie Meyer of the Meroke R/C Club) made by our club at that field and two of them had the lowered platform for the giant scale planes as in the extreme background of your picture. http://www.meroke.com/sbbuildinginstructions.htm

Your design looks nice. Promote it where ever you can. The modeling community needs an alternate design to satisfy human individuality.

I fly at a different field now and we cannot have any benches remaining at the field. I use a tee frame affair mounted in a heavier style B&D Workmate. It fits my U-Can-Do 60 and Twist 60's with the Saito 125's. I keep my flight box and transmitter on the tailgate of my truck. I also have a standard size AMA style bench at home but it is awkward to be moving to the field and back.

The picture below is off the old dangerous style flight bench. The guy in the background that you cannot see his face is BLW, one of the other moderators in Engines.

Name:	Fd91083.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1415330  
Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Now I feel like a turd, I didn't realize that was Todd's dad! <I didn't shake his hand> I should have figured though, seems like Todd and his dad get along very well and do alot of stuff together.

Andy
That's you all over, Andy!

No, seriously, I'm sure it was no big deal, though I'll bet you would have enjoyed meeting him as Todd's Dad.

Dear Abby might have to send you a book on Ettiquette, but I think you'll survive.

Actually, I'm a little jealous that you got to go to the show, period! Sounds like it was a good show.

~ Jim ~
Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Nice bench, now if it was able to be folded up for storage that would be awesome! If we put that up at our field and just leave it, some moron would steal it.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM
AJsToyz

Jim,

It was pretty cool, Todd and his dad get along really well , and his dad can't be very old , um dad status? LOL Ok well, I better say it now before I get to far.

Hi Todd's dad !! It was nice to meet you!!

The show was pretty cool to say the least, to bad you couldn't have been there. I did get a chance to look at a few things, but one of my favorites is still the Dragster. Its just to cool to see a scale super charged V8 fire up!

Andy
Old 04-10-2010, 02:03 PM
jdeltano

Andy, did you get a chance to check a Kangke Howard DGA while you were there? I was thinking of buying one of those and another Syssa to go with it . Can anyone here speak to the quality of the Kangke ARF's?

Thanks
-Jeff
Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
AJsToyz

Jeff,

That area was pretty crowded when I walked through so I didn't get a look at there planes. I missed a few things and remembered and am still remembering now.

My new 4" Wheels are up in the swap shop still!!

Andy

Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Ken Cz

ORIGINAL: jdeltano

Andy, did you get a chance to check a Kangke Howard DGA while you were there? I was thinking of buying one of those and another Syssa to go with it . Can anyone here speak to the quality of the Kangke ARF's?

Thanks
-Jeff
I gave the Howard DGA a good look as it on my list of things to buy at Toledo.
After reviewing up close I decided to wait-
The windshield is an extremely poor fit that the Owner admitted he tried to disguise with white tape. Just fits and looks poor.

The plane he had on display was one of the first and obviously they have a few kinks to work out.
How it will fly is another story but the overall appearance of this "Golden Age" aircraft sure got my attention!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Nice bench, now if it was able to be folded up for storage that would be awesome! If we put that up at our field and just leave it, some moron would steal it.
I found that I could put the pictures of the folding cart in MY GALLERY on here so I don't eat up the engine forum space. Right now I only use it for small planes, size .60 and under.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Joystick TX

Flew my .90 sized Ultimate Bipe with a 1.3 gasser today, I thought it was going to fall out of the air at any moment. I'm spoiled now, I sure do miss the "stump pulling power" of the 1.8 Syssa. If the plane wasn't so old, it would get an upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.