Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Syssa Pilot
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Looked back through a bunch of pages can't find my problem mentioned. Has anybody lost the pickup MAGNET ? Can I replace it ? Thanks, Dave
Old 08-24-2012, 05:30 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't adjust my engines while running either. I generally get them running good enough where I trust they won't quit (rich!) then get them in the air. That's when you can tell what's going on. That's what you need to adjust for.

Jim, if your high speed is rich, doubtful the engine will be warm enough to do this high idle hang thing when you pull back on it. The problem with running rich, if there is one, is the tendency to "burble" a little in the mid range with lighter pitch props/loads (like those that might be expected on a Funtana). Leaning the high end to rid yourself of the burbling issue often leaves you with this "hang" - and you go rich to get rid of that (you need to get some extra fuel through it!). High or low, suit yourself. High leaves a burble, low leaves an engine idling on the rough side - like you should expect a 2 stroke might. Just sayin... -Al
Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Syssa Pilot

Looked back through a bunch of pages can't find my problem mentioned. Has anybody lost the pickup MAGNET ? Can I replace it ? Thanks, Dave
Yes, you can. I lost one a couple of years ago.Just make sure you clean the hub hole and magnet really well before you glue it in.

Contact Todd by phone or email to see how to get a replacement.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

JoyStick: my engine is mounted inverted, spark plug down. I value my fingers, so do not do any carb adjustments with the engine running. Just me. I think I will leave well enough alone as the engine does run just fine. I will try changing the spark plug since I am over 2 years on the original plug. I will try a new one and see what happens (lol, I will change the plug with the engine stopped). Joke.
I'm not sure how you would manage to get your fingers in a prop when adjusting the carb unless you are doing it from the front. I always have my plane restrained, by a helper, orin a starting stand, and I adjust it from the rear. I do slow the engine to idle before I put the screwdriver in the slot for the high speed screw on the gassers, it is hard to hit the slot at WOT. Been doing it that way since 1948 and never had a prop strike a finger yet. I can't evenrecall anyone getting hurt when adjusting a carb from the rear. Starting the engine is 1,000 times more dangerous to fingersthan the carb adjustment, so I would rather not do that unless I have to. I have had quite a few prop strikes and cuts from starting an engine and have seen several hundred moreover the years.

Keep us posted on how the plug change works. It may fix someother problems.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
JohnB96041

I only use an electric starter on all my engines.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:53 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Al,

The big problem here is that we're going on what we're being told, and as often as not, there's something critical that we REALLY could use that just never gets to us. We're all just guessing anyway, because that engine isn't in front of us. If it were in front of me, I'd crank it up and have it tuned in five minutes, ten if it's pretty new and still tight. Did one just yesterday, in fact. I hardly even have to think about it these days.

My Syssa-tune mixture screw tubes setup is evidence that I dislike being near props as much as anybody. But there's something I should point out here to some of the more nervous guys. When you're behind a prop, and you venture into the back of it, the trailing edge of the prop blade just paddle-slaps you away. The prop's tips can cut you, but on these gassers the tips are far away from the area you occupy while tuning the mixture needles. The front of a prop is the business end, it pulls in whatever it finds. The back of the prop is quite benign, comparatively. It spends all it's time pushing stuff away from it with a wave goodbye. Stay clear of the front and tips. Otherwise, the prop on a gasser isn't that bad. I use wood props at all times on my gassers.

Syssa pilot,

Todd will send you a new magnet, just give him a call.

Joystick, what kind of glue does that take? I've wondered about that any number of times.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Joystick TX

Okay, that is only 50 times more dangerous.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Joystick TX

I used JB Weld to put in the new magnet.

I notice some engine magnets have been "staked" by using a sharp pointed punch in addition to the glue. If that method is used, one must be careful not to break the magnet.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Syssa Pilot
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks, emailed Todd, going to see him tomorrow. Thanks, Dave
Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Joystick TX

That's going to be a long drive just to pick up a magnet.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Joystick TX

It is interesting that only some forums are slow to load.

The way I speed things up is to load the links I use the most into my browser "favorites." When I get an email from RCU, I go to the browser and select the link and it will open at the "normal" speed.

I'm not sure why this works, but to me it is just the "new" way that RCU works. I think RCUs' motto is "a new feature a day."

Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: jcacropilot

I have seen three of these engines. they look very nice. I have no experience with them but 2 out of the 3 guys that own them at my field have had nothing but problems with them, the 3rd guys was NIB and he had never ran it. Not sure if it is a ID 10 T error or not. But I was told to go with the DLE 30.
If you point to this forum, they may be able to solve their problems and enjoy great running engines.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: Sterling McC.

Well I finally recieved my second syssa today, I ordered late June so it took a while. It has the new style muffler which looks good and I also got a few things I didn't expect....Todd threw the muffler sound inserts in the box as well as his cdi mount. I did not order these items so was pleasently surprised to find them. I was a little choked that it took so long but in the end well worth it. The guy makes a quality engine and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they work in the air. I have to admit I was alittle nervous when I didn;t get responses to emails and phone calls, but my story has a happy ending. I just wanted to let everyone know.
Any progress on the plane with the twin Syssa's?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM
hyflyer9

Here is a problem that i have never run into before I have had my engine repaired by Todd it runs good and a good top end butonce i come back down toidle itstay's a little high on the idle and then drops andtends to surge a little up and down over and over and after about a minute or so it quits the engine has had 3 tanks and gas threw it so far and i am using good fresh gas with a 40-1 mix of castrol 2 stroke temps oil andan APC 17x10 prop and i am getting about 7600 at full throttle . I figured that the low end was lean and kept turning it out an 8th at a time but it is still doing it even with the low end out at 2 1/4 -2 1/2 turns should i keep trying to richen it or should i just give it more run time .
Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I see 2 things. First is the prop. The Syssa is much happier running up (well?) over 8k.

The second is your low run time.

2.5 turns on the low seems excessive. The surging is right after a wide open throttle run? Will it do the same if you run it at 1/4 throttle a minute prior to pulling all the way back to idle? Have you tuned this engine right from the get go (high and low), or are you running it on the settings it came back with?

OK that's 3, sorry!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 PM
hyflyer9

if i run it at 1/4 and then back to idle it still does it even if i dont go the full throttle and yes i am starting at the settings it came back with but will try and reset to the specs and start over also Todd told me to use this prop for my War Bird he said it would give me a little more rpms and still have the speed
Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Joystick TX

My three questions, in case your carb adjustments don't fix it.

1. Did you "remove" the carb throttle return spring? Had a guy in our club do that and his engine ran exactly like yours.

2. Deleted. I was going to ask about the carb filter screen. My favorite.

3. Did you replace the spark plug? Jim's favorite.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM
hyflyer9

it came back with a new plug and the spring is stiil on it i just unhooked it and no i haven't checked the screen but i am about to do just that.also i had the spring unhooked before and it didn't efect it
Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

it came back with a new plug and the spring is stiil on it i just unhooked it and no i haven't checked the screen but i am about to do just that.also i had the spring unhooked before and it didn't efect it
Unhooked is ok, removed is not.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:59 PM
JohnB96041

Probably been asked before, but which carburator does the SYSSA 30cc engine have on it? I need a overhaul kit.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 PM
hyflyer9

the screen and fuel filter have both been cleaned with alcohal and then used the air gun to blow them out as well as the carb and i could not see if there was any thing in it at all .
Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Joystick TX

It's a good idea to check for air leaks in the fuel system. I just hook up a small 2 oz gas tank, with a short section of new fuel tubing, temporarally to see if it cures the problem.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:27 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I think the 2+ turns out is a red light warning. You're supposed to START at 2 turns out and lean it from there.

This is on both screws.

~ Jim ~
Old 08-25-2012, 01:31 PM
hyflyer9

The manual say's 2 turns out for the high end and 1 1/2 for the low end
Old 08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Mine says 2 for each, then lean down from there. But it is an older manual.

Todd probably realized that you can practically start from 1-1/2 turns and then lean out (turning the screw IN) on the low end.

I mentioned that a few pages ago when we were sorting out a high-temperature problem.

The point is, the screws shouldn't have ended up MORE than two turns out in any case.

~ Jim ~

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.