Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 222 of 243 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232 ... LastLast
Results 5,526 to 5,550 of 6068

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Al, no apology is needed! Ijust wanted to make sure it was clear how things hook together.
    Ed Alt
    Tech-Aero Designs LLC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not looking forward to it myself. Knowing me, I'll be drawing out diagrams until I'm happy with what I intend to do.

~ Jim ~
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

I'm not looking forward to it myself. Knowing me, I'll be drawing out diagrams until I'm happy with what I intend to do.

~ Jim ~
    Just start plugging stuff in. The logic will flow, and you'll be done in less time than it might take to get through half of your first diagram...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, that link to NoBS was a lot of help. I think a few visits to that will make all the difference. I am planning to use an IBEC, for the first time, with two A123s, also for the first time.

~ Jim ~[8D]
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The IBEC didn't show up yesterday but I did look at a photo on the Syssa site. 

It seems to have a plug that connects to a control channel (maybe the gear channel in my case)  that also supplies power to the regulator board and then to the ignition box when the switch is flipped.

The 2 receiver batteries and switches have to be plugged into the receiver at the battery input and another unused channel, just like always.

Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168
    Balsa USA Brotherhood #41

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dick, I think you've got the IBEC figured out. When you get it in your hands, thinking you'll find it might be a little simpler than trying to get it straight in your head.

What a lot of guys don't know/understand is that the black and red wires are positive and negative ANYWHERE you see them. Some guys are calling that the "receiver buss" because of that. You can think of those wires all being fed from a single positive buss, and another single negative buss.

So regarding the power from the 2 switches, you can do as you say, plug them both into empty receiver channels. Lets say though you have a 7 channel receiver and are running 2 aileron, 2 elevator, throttle, rudder, and IBEC/ign. switch. You have no place to plug that extra switch in. On my Hitec receivers, I have to share the battery port with the IBEC just to get 7 channels, using a Y harness there! In this case with the channel ports completely full, because all of the positive and negative power is on the same line everywhere, the line from the second switch is usually connected to a Y placed in the rudder circuit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought that might be the case. So, we'll need enough channels to accommodate that.

I guess I'll use a "Y" connector on my rudder channel for the second battery input, since the rudder servo has got the highest-draw, and give that servo a primary power source while I'm tapping the second battery into the system.

If using the "Y" connector for that, the only extra channel that's required is for the IBEC. I'm counting my Rx channel spaces, and running low. But I think I have enough. I was giving some thought to adding a smoke system to this plane at some point, which would require another channel or two.

I guess I COULD steal the 9-channel Rx from my GS Sportster, if push comes to shove.

It's laid open on the autopsy table right now, still being put back together from last weekend's follies. It's as good a time as any to shift Rxs around.

Thanks for the research, Dick.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Dick, I think you've got the IBEC figured out. When you get it in your hands, thinking you'll find it might be a little simpler than trying to get it straight in your head.

What a lot of guys don't know/understand is that the black and red wires are positive and negative ANYWHERE you see them. Some guys are calling that the ''receiver buss'' because of that. You can think of those wires all being fed from a single positive buss, and another single negative buss.

So regarding the power from the 2 switches, you can do as you say, plug them both into empty receiver channels. Lets say though you have a 7 channel receiver and are running 2 aileron, 2 elevator, throttle, rudder, and IBEC/ign. switch. You have no place to plug that extra switch in. On my Hitec receivers, I have to share the battery port with the IBEC just to get 7 channels, using a Y harness there! In this case with the channel ports completely full, because all of the positive and negative power is on the same line everywhere, the line from the second switch is usually connected to a Y placed in the rudder circuit.

Great minds.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's something else that might help you minimize your wiring "clutter". It works EXACTLY like a Y harness, but is obviously much more compact. I didn't discover them until after doing the first of these more complex systems. They're available in more lengths than what I see available from Tower, from 3" on up. -Al

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXA48&P=7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed Alt, the IBEC's designer, said it all. You should consider the IBEC as JUST ANOTHER SERVO. The lead labeled "Receiver" connects to an empty, convenient channel on the RX. The lead labeled "CDI" connects to the CDI. That's it!!

Yes, you can program your channel for fail safe function. In fail safe, the channel drops power which kills the engine. No, it shouldn't directly use a different external power source such as a second battery, since you won't have TX control of the IBEC.

But if you want dual batteries, set those up to your RX. Remember the IBEC is JUST ANOTHER SERVO connected to the RX. BTW- for those of you needing a second battery for safety, consider the Dual VReg by Tech Aero. You can use a pair of LiPo's for example, say 1000 ma each, to power everything.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Matt.

The fail safe is another factor, one I know I hadn't yet considered. That's easy enough to do.

To go to Joe Nall and many of the other big bird gatherings, I understand that the engine opto-kill feature has to be available to one of the radio switches, so it can be shut down by itself, right?

Al,

You were supposed to tell me about that doubler BEFORE the big brown truck dropped my Tower order on my porch - five minutes ago.[] It never fails!

Looks like a handy little part for adding a battery to the rudder servo. Wow - 20 guage -[X(] that's perfect. Heavy guage wire.

It also solves a small dilemma I was looking at from my prospective conversion over to using the A123 packs, which requires cutting the light-colored wire that goes from the switch to the Rx. This provides a handy place to use my bind plug on my JR/Spektrum gear while the main battery remains plugged into the power channel. Pulling out and plugging in battery connectors is never a good idea, if you can avoid it. Binding is an occasional thing, so this solves that for me.

But, **SHUDDER**, it's FUTABA. EWWW.

I wonder if they have it in JR/SPektrum, etc? Or will I have to do some whittling? lol

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just checked their JR/Spektrum version. 22 guage wire. Not good.

A little whittling never hurt anybody. Thanks for the link, Al.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I can see now why the IBECis so easy to use. It doesn't even come with instructions!

Two labeled cables and a third that goes to an LED.

The two little jumpers are probably used to set the regulator output voltage. Mine is set for "A" and the "B" one isn't jumpered.

I take it that to change the voltage out, you jumper "B" and put the "A" jumper on only one pin.

I'll leave it like it is.

Off we go......

Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess you could check the outgoing voltage with a meter.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll do that tonight and report back tpmorrow.

If I had a receiver and transmitter here at work, I'd do it right now, but TI probably wouldn't like that.

Icould use a signal generator set for 100 HZ with a 0 to 5 volt square wave pulse at 1.5 MS pulse width into the receiver lead signal wire, power up the receiver power lead with 6 or 7 volts and see what comes out of the regulator lead.

(yes, that works for servos)

Maybe I'll just wait 'till tonight...

OK, Icouldn't wait!

With 6.8 volts into receiver red wire and signal generator into receiver yellow wire, both referenced to black wire, the LEDlights up at 1.5 MSpulse width, which is center of the range between full up and full down.

With the "A" pins shorted, (as it comes from Syssa) the output voltage at regulator lead is 5.2 volts which will probably drop to 5.0 or 5.1 under load.

With the "B" pins shorted, the output voltage is 6.2 volts, again most likely dropping a bit under load.

I set the jumpers back to where they were originally, with the "A" shorted and the "B" not shorted.

Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Thanks, Matt.

The fail safe is another factor, one I know I hadn't yet considered. That's easy enough to do.

To go to Joe Nall and many of the other big bird gatherings, I understand it has to be available to one of the radio switches, so it can be shut down by itself, right?

~ Jim ~

Jim, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. "Fail Safe" on computer radios is a preprogrammed set-up of your radio, a set-up that you choose, that is enabled only when you lose signal. It basically brings all servos (remember the RX sees the IBEC as a servo) to a predetermined position. One doesn't flip a switch or move a lever to enable "Fail Safe" excepting the regular ON-OFF switch in the front. It's automatic and one that hopefully no radio will have to experience....but they do!!

It is tested by switching your TX off. All servos must travel to their predetermined position, usually neutral for flying surfaces, low on throttle and off on the IBEC ( you should see the LED go off)
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Spektrum DX7 has only one "fail safe" channel, the throttle, and that feature can be turned on and off. When programmed on, and the transmitter is turned off, the throttle comes down to a predetermined low throttle position. When you bind the receiver to the transmitter, wherever the low throttle position is set, that's where the throttle goes when the transmitter is switched off.

All other 6 channels stay where they were prior to losing signal.

My JR 9303 can be set up to move all channels to any predetermined posiition, like everything neutral except throttle, which may be low throttle. Whatever you set up when you bind the receiver, that's where they go.

Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the switches need a solid signal to stay on. If you loose your "bind" for instance, that switch is going to shut the power to the ignition off without further adoo. Brown out, same scenario. In either case the capacitors will continue to run the ign module for a few seconds, so if you're going to test this function give it a second to shut down. Anyway, I think that's all the "fail safe" you need regarding any rules that I've ever heard of. That and the ability to turn the module on and off with your gear switch (if that's what you decide to use).
    -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whoa.

Those were two different paragraphs, and two different items. The first made a reference to how it works - or how it CAN work - during fail-safe. I know how fail-safe works (in my sleep), I just hadn't given the IBEC much thought relative to fail-safe mode until it was mentioned there. As Al mentioned, when you lose signal, it shuts down anyway. I don't even think there's a choice or a setting. No signal, no spark.

The second paragraph was a comment about Joe Nall requirements, and that sentence made no mention of fail-safe whatsoever. In fact, that sentence specified "by itself," which can't mean fail-safe, since fail-safe affects everything at once.

As Al also mentioned above, you need to be able to kill the spark module with a switch on your radio. I was talking with somebody who attended the last Nall, and there were a whole lot of people who had to go run for the vendors' booths to buy Opto-kills, IBECs, etc. because their birds were not yet equipped with them. I was just making conversation, wondering if others had heard the same thing as I had.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pettit

Well, I can see now why the IBECis so easy to use. It doesn't even come with instructions!

Two labeled cables and a third that goes to an LED.

The two little jumpers are probably used to set the regulator output voltage. Mine is set for "A" and the "B" one isn't jumpered.

I take it that to change the voltage out, you jumper "B" and put the "A" jumper on only one pin.

I'll leave it like it is.

Off we go......
    You don't need to guess or do any testing. The users manual is available at: www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi folks
    To save my self the head ecke i chose to just go with two A123 1100mah packs on seperate switches and use a 4.8 2300mah nimi on a seperate switch for the ignition . And because i am using all hitec gear there is no need for a voltage reg. one pack goes into the batt plug and the other goes into any other channel i choose and that is y'd in with my rudder and with that set up i can fly all day with no problems at all plenty of power for sure .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

I as well did the adding this forum to my favorites and i works very well for me now no waiting for it to load only about 10 seconds now and like you said what to do about the sight loading the new post reply's
    Not sure if this is the right spot, but, I have griped about RCU web response via email notice for some time now. I finally ran the good old ping plotter on www.rcuniverse.com and here are the results. Maybe this will help the IT department.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30197.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	1796786  
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ho folks
    To save my self the head ecke i chose to just go with two A123 1100mah packs on seperate switches and use a 4.8 2300mah nimi on a seperate switch for the ignition . And because i am using all hitec gear there is no need for a voltage reg. one pack goes into the batt plug and the other goes into any other channel i choose and that is y'd in with my rudder and with that set up i can fly all day with no problems at all plenty of power for sure .

A muchsimpler, lighter weight,and safersetup would be to not use the ignition switch and battery and just use an IBEC. That will also give you control of the ignition from your transmitter. Also if you have a receiver fail or brownout your enginewill shut off or go to low throttle. The battery and mechanical switch for the ignition module are high failure items compared to the IEBC, not to mention the issues and hassle of charging twodifferent battery technologies.

Having the LED to show when the ignition is ON has saved me a lot of problems. It alone is worth the cost of the IBEC.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi john
    The ping results you posted is actually showing what is called a farm and from what i see there is that the big part of the fail is rite in the middle at the #6 ping but this couldalso be a server problem as well .

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

I as well did the adding this forum to my favorites and i works very well for me now no waiting for it to load only about 10 seconds now and like you said what to do about the sight loading the new post reply's
    Not sure if this is the right spot, but, I have griped about RCU web response via email notice for some time now. I finally ran the good old ping plotter on www.rcuniverse.com and here are the results. Maybe this will help the IT department.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

Letting the IT department know about the problem only works if: 1. There is in fact an IT department and 2. They are actually interested in fixing a problem.

They still have the worst search engine in the world. I don't know how they can not find items on their own site, but any other search engine in the world has not problem. I think they would have to pay big money to make parts of the forums "invisible" to searches. Looks like some of them belong to the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, got to stay on the subject and not get off track, they areruthless about finding that: Syssa, engine, airplane, blah, blah, blah, etc.
    Steve
    Check Six!