Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:44 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Thanks for the link to the IBEC user manual. For those of you that didn't print one out, those jumpers can be configured to provide 5.0, 5,3, 6,1 or 6.6 volts output.

BTW, the Syssa engine is purring like a kitten with the new ignition and the IBEC is working like a charm.

Rascal 110 test flying this weekend, weather permitting

BTW, forgot to mention that the Hall Effect sensor can actually move fore and aft in the mounting bracket. I experienced intermittent spark and after checking everything, I pushed on the wiring harness where it exits the bracket. The sensor moved forward about 1/16" and the spark was perfect. A drop of silicone will keep it in place.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the Hall effect sensor tip, Dick. It's worth double checking ours to be sure.

We'll look forward to hearing how your Rascal 110 outing goes.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi Guys,

I am presently uploading a video of me flying my Super Sportster. Yes, it was the day I crunched it in to the power line, and no, that's not on tape, thank goodness. This is the earlier part of the day.

Hurricane Isaac was in town, rolling up through the gulf, and the wind was VICIOUS. Wait until you see the flags whipping in the wind, and the trees right next to it. I honestly thought that I might ding it at some point due to the wind gusts and shifts, but I was having no problems (and a whole lot of fun) with that part. Then I ran into my power-line version of Charlie Brown's kite-eating tree.

Take a good look, and a listen to the Syssa 30CC powering it through the windy sky. My apologies for the quality of the camera handling; the guy volunteered to do it, and he did he best he could. I ended up trimming out quite a number of ten and twenty second segments of the camera panning around, trying to catch the Sportster scooting along through the sky. One of the flights, the only time he was actually on the plane was when it was taxiing! Literally, ZERO other footage of the plane in flight during that segment.

I think it gives a good idea of how the Syssa performs. And how the Super Sportster performs as well. What a fantastic combination.

By the way, I have the repairs to the GSS nearly completed. Then I'll start the Syssa and check for any runout issues on the propshaft. I have an extra Syssa I can put in it, in either case.

~ Jim ~

As soon as it's available, I'll post the link up here. I hope you like it!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJs-K4HvyjY

~ Jim ~
Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Oops.

Duplicate post.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Letting the IT department know about the problem only works if: 1. There is in fact an IT department and 2. They are actually interested in fixing a problem.

They still have the worst search engine in the world. I don't know how they can not find items on their own site, but any other search engine in the world has no problem. I think they would have to pay big money to make parts of the forums ''invisible'' to searches. Looks like some of them belong to the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, got to stay on the subject and not get off track, they are ruthless about finding that: Syssa, engine, airplane, blah, blah, blah, etc.
I busted out laughing when I read the end of this post. Thanks for the laugh, Steve. I needed it.

I'm gearing up for my RC Guys Decathlon build, and for the build I ordered a Tru-Turn spinner for my Syssa. Not a cheap one. The wrong spinner came.

I called them to say that they'd sent me the wrong spinner. She told me to ship it back to them, and they'd send me the correct one. Not only that, but the one they sent me was WAY more expensive than the one I'd ordered, and they'd charged my credit card well over a hundred dollars[X(] for it. Ouch.[:@]

I asked them to issue a pickup ticket, so I didn't have to deal with the shipping or pay for the shipping, or pay for the gas to get halfway across the city to where the UPS office is. She said that isn't their policy, and that I have to ship it back.[:-]

Then she said said they'll reimburse me - up to ten dollars - for the shipping. I asked her who's going to reimburse me for the fifteen bucks worth of gas I'm going to use driving through traffic, because they won't issue a pickup ticket?

I explained that there is no UPS office convenient to my location, and that even our closest Post Office is a fifteen minute drive, and a LONG wait in line there. Couldn't they just issue a pickup ticket?

Sorry. Not our policy. [:@]

Yeah, right. Not our policy to easily and conveniently solve this problem for our customer, even though we made the mistake in the first place.

You know, there's just NO reason to work with a mail-order vendor if the convenience factor isn't present, and for me, here in Texas where Tru-Turn is, I get charged tax besides. Customer loyalty only goes so far.

I haven't been this P$%^&*D-off at an RC vendor for years.

I may order from Tru-Turn again.

Once I'm sure there's no other vendor on the face of the Earth with the item I'm shopping for.

#$%^&*(.

If I could be sure I'd get my money back, I'd cancel the order right now.

Without good customer service, you can end up with something you might as well have bought at a yard sale, where you soon find that the costs and the time you lose correcting the problem will all be on you. Oh, wait. That's what just happened to me with Tru-Turn.

It gets worse. When they first charged my card, I called and said that NO WAY should it be that expensive, and that something was wrong. She told me that everything was correct, all the costs were justified, and that it would be cut and shipped that day. [X(]I saw something was wrong, I called them and asked them to scrutinize the order, and they gave me the brush-off. And now I get to waste half my day driving around town, spending my own money on gas.

#@$#%^&*.[:@] Dealing with this sort of crap service just isn't worth it.

THIS situation is a prime example of why I always buy Syssa engines. Todd's customer service is awesome.

~ Jim ~[&o]
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Did you ever have a secret that you REALLY wanted to tell, because it was just so cool it was awesome? One you can't tell, because there's no way you wouldn't be giving away something BIG?

Yeah. Me neither.[&:]

Until today.

This is SO cool. And I thought they were gorgeous BEFORE.[X(]

But. . . I can't say anything.[]

Sorry.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 AM
JeffinTD

Regarding the IBEC, I really like that bugger, and I just ordered a couple more. It is really nice not to have to deal with charging a nicad ignition battery.

I'm running dual Li Fe's on a Specktrum power safe reciever, which seems like a nice simple combination.

As far as fail safe goes, I've got the throttle set to kill the engine in the event of signal loss.

The IBEC I have set on a knob so I have a way to kill the ignition for priming the engine, or if the throttle servo or linkage were ever to fail. I prefer to assign the ignition to a knob, or trainer button, so it would be tough to accidentally kill the engine.

Naturally, if the Rx ever lost power (unlikely with redundant isolated batteries and a fail-on switch) the ignition power would also be cut.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Kinda quiet, so I'll stir the pot a little, again...

Regarding IBEC's-
Have you considered the fact an opto switch will perform identically, and when it's ign. module output is set to the proper voltage level using a diode or 2, the cost to get this performance is significantly less than an IBEC?

Granted, the opto isn't quite as simple, but once getting it's output voltage set properly is understood, it's value becomes pretty apparent....

-Al
Old 09-07-2012, 05:46 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

You're saying that the ignition voltage output on the IBEC from Syssa cannot be adjusted.

Is that true? Because that's what I'm reading from your post.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Kinda quiet, so I'll stir the pot a little, again...

Regarding IBEC's-
Have you considered the fact an opto switch will perform identically, and when it's ign. module output is set to the proper voltage level using a diode or 2, the cost to get this performance is significantly less than an IBEC?

Granted, the opto isn't quite as simple, but once getting it's output voltage set properly is understood, it's value becomes pretty apparent....

-Al
I'm not sure how the opto switch aloneis used to eliminate the ignitionbattery.

The IEBC has the opto switch built in.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM
ahicks

You pick up the power for it from the receiver buss? Easiest way to do that is to use a Y for both the "control" and " battery input" leads? The newer Rcexl have a couple spots you can jump with a tiny spot of solder to do the same thing. Directions w/diagram come with them. Probably not a job for a soldering rookie though...
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
JeffinTD

If you did that, wouldn't you also need something to filter rf noise on the power side to protect the rx?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I did some research. The IBEC actually IS an opto-kill switch, with other features incorporated into it.

I think THAT holds more value, not least of all for the reason I got it FREE with my Syssa engine I purchased during the Syssa Summer Special.

And then there's the thing I can't tell you.

It's. . . nope, nope, I just can't.

But it's SO cool.[8D]

~ Jim ~
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: JeffinTD

If you did that, wouldn't you also need something to filter rf noise on the power side to protect the rx?
There are some that might make that argument, but I think that's offset greatly by the number of guys running the setup described without issue?

It's anyone's call, I'm just tossing this idea out for people to mull over. You can get these Rcexl switches comparatively cheap with some careful shopping, have the whole setup running (with diode(s) for less that 20.00.

Jim, it's tough to compete with free!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:26 PM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

You're saying that the ignition voltage output on the IBEC from Syssa cannot be adjusted.

~ Jim ~
Jim,

Should be jumpers on the IBEC to select the desired voltage, 5v, 5.3v, 6.1v, 6.6v.

Andy
Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

~ Jim ~
Jim,

Should be jumpers on the IBEC to select the desired voltage, 5v, 5.3v, 6.1v, 6.6v.

Andy

Oops, Sorry Jim, I didn't see your message or it didn't register, or something....
Yes, Andy's right. They come set to 5.3v by default.

As there is no voltage regulation in a regular opto switch (like the Rcexl), you can't adjust it? But that's easily done with diodes placed in it's output wire to the ign. module. 6.6 volt (5 cell NiMh, and LiFe/A123) pack generally uses 1 diode, which drops the voltage about .7 volts, getting you into the comfortable range of of most opto switches.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 AM
pettit

Just a few words about the first flights on my SIG Rascal 110 with a new Syssa 180HP engine. Other than taking a lot of "rocks and flips" of the prop to get the carb primed, the Syssa 180HP performed flawlessly.

No overheating, no wierd sounds, plenty of power and a perfect choice for the Rascal.

Here's a video link.

http://youtu.be/UIm6SXQfD6s
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Dick,

Nice flight! And the Rascal is a real beauty. Looks like you had some pretty good winds. I like flying in winds like that, but usually could do without it on a Maiden!

I'm jealous of your cameraman. It's tough to find somebody who can follow a plane around the sky and make it look easy.

Great job!

~ Jim ~
Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

pettit,

Nice maiden flight. How do you like the Rascal 110? The SYSSA 30cc is a power house once you get it shoe horned in the cowl. Really nice fit. I normally rock my prop back and forth about 15 times for the first start of the day. After that about 6-7.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM
pettit

The Rascal is a nice easy relaxing plane to fly, even in a windstorm!

Now if I can find a set of matching floats before winter sets in, I'll be even happier!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: pettit

Now if I can find a set of matching floats before winter sets in, I'll be even happier!
I believe Sig is working on a set of floats.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: pettit

I believe Sig is working on a set of floats.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Syssa received my engine in for repair February 10th 2012 and I don't have it back yet.
I've called, and I send the same email every day trying to get a response.

A week ago I sent another engine in for some work to the address on the website and it came back undeliverable.

Are they still in business?

Thanks
Bob
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

??? February?? I've sent engines in since then and got them back. It never takes longer than 2 weeks, 3 at the outside - for mine to make the round trip.

I've called and talked to Todd twice in the last two weeks.

syssaaircraft "AT" gmail.com is a good email.

~ Jim ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.