Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pettit
Last time I flew my Rascal 110 with a new version Syssa 30cc (V2 I believe) it started easily, ran well on the ground and flew the plane fine for the first 5 minutes in the air. Air temperature at the field was around 75 degrees.

Then it started to bog down at mid to high throttle and then it died. On the ground after a long dead stick landing, the engine was still quite warm. I pulled the cowl off and started the engine easily again. I tried to richen the high needle but it would not get richer at all.

Back home I pulled the carb and opened it up, looking for trash in the screen. There was a small amount of slime but no more than 10% of the screen surface covered. Some carb cleaner fixed that. Back together, the engine still would not richen up much.

Yes, the fuel tank lines are solid, and no bubbles in the feed line.

Any ideas?

You could also have a cooling issue in addition to the carb problem. Make sure that your cooling air exit is at least 3X the area of your cooling air intake area. If you fly the plane without the cowl and it does okay, overheating is probably the problem. I have seen three Rascals at our field that had cooling problems.

I don't think you have the V2 engine, the looks of the cylinder is quite different, it has machined cooling fins instead of molded ones. Looks sort of like the old TD .049 head. Could you post a picture of your engine before you send it back?

Last edited by Joystick TX; 09-21-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:58 AM
tele1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - post some pictures. I am curious how much room is in your cowl. The Syssa barely fits in the cowl of my Venus and I haven't had any cooling issues at all.

Last edited by tele1974; 09-21-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think his engine is leaning out. Mine has lots of entrance and exit, and a bit if baffle, and it acted as be described (runs excellent on the ground but once in the air it got boggy and would die).

If it were a cooling issue, I'd expect it would be as bad or worse when he ran it on the ground.

A picture would be great, but if the cooling looks good, humor me and try opening the high needle a bit.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Joystick TX

It could be going lean, he has trouble getting it to run rich which is usually a carb or fuel line issue.

A cooling issue does not always show up on the ground because most people don't run the engine very long on the ground.

I would like to see a picture of the engine cylinder to see if it is the V2 or V1.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlenginesaustralia
ORIGINAL: Deandome

It's been established that Syssa has two different policies when it comes to customer service;

1) They take good care of customers who need parts and/or repairs on existing engines...answering emails & turning around orders/repairs promptly

2) They show contempt to those of us who have pre-PAID for new engines...ignoring every polite request for the most basic update or ETA on our orders

Problem is, given what's happening with #2, they soon won't have to bother about #1.

We gave up on point 2, because we find the same issue for #1 as well, customers engines under warranty and no communication etc. So to me seems more selective than that they just communicate with some and not others for no good reason. All I need is a one line email with an ETA or update, seems like that is too much to ask.
So we just set the engines free (back to magical syssa land) then hope they fly back home one day.
Hi guys,
Has there been any news from Syssa? It's been over a year now, and I've heard nothing from Todd. The only engine I've received was Steve's, which I sent on to him, figuring mine would come soon after that. But that was a long time ago, and since then I've received no engine, no refund, and not a word about what I can expect, or when I should expect it. I'm finally in between books, ready to get into that RC Guys Decathlon project, and pfffft. No engine anywhere to be found. I should mention that I'm expecting a V2.

Are the V1's still coming out of there?

Jim
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Originally Posted by pettit
Last time I flew my Rascal 110 with a new version Syssa 30cc (V2 I believe) it started easily, ran well on the ground and flew the plane fine for the first 5 minutes in the air. Air temperature at the field was around 75 degrees.

Then it started to bog down at mid to high throttle and then it died. On the ground after a long dead stick landing, the engine was still quite warm. I pulled the cowl off and started the engine easily again. I tried to richen the high needle but it would not get richer at all.

Back home I pulled the carb and opened it up, looking for trash in the screen. There was a small amount of slime but no more than 10% of the screen surface covered. Some carb cleaner fixed that. Back together, the engine still would not richen up much.

Yes, the fuel tank lines are solid, and no bubbles in the feed line.

Any ideas?
Dick,

That sounds like the problem I had with mine, and after much discussion, I finally followed AHicks advice at the time and changed my spark plug. My engine had spark, started (but not especially easily), but wouldn't tune. I wouldn't listen to him because I still had spark I could see. Under pressure, that changed. I'll spend 80 bucks for an anodized spinner, but I'm too cheap and/or stubborn to buy a new $5 plug. After wrecking the Monocoupe due to a flameout at 25 feet, I bought a new plug, and changed it out. The engine started right up, and tuned up nicely. Now, whenever something's not quite right and I've run out of obvious sources of the problem, I switch out the plug, and usually that solves it. (Thanks again, AHicks!)

I hope that helps you.

Jim
Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by TexasSkyPilot
Hi guys,
Has there been any news from Syssa? It's been over a year now, and I've heard nothing from Todd. The only engine I've received was Steve's, which I sent on to him, figuring mine would come soon after that. But that was a long time ago, and since then I've received no engine, no refund, and not a word about what I can expect, or when I should expect it. I'm finally in between books, ready to get into that RC Guys Decathlon project, and pfffft. No engine anywhere to be found. I should mention that I'm expecting a V2.

Are the V1's still coming out of there?

Jim
Jim, glad to see you're getting some play time.

I have a copy of your latest book; going to read it on the long flight overseas. It is hard to find a book that is "safe" to take into some countries.

It has been a long time since you sent that engine to me. I wore it out, sent it back for repair and have it back now. I replaced it with a DLE-35 and am on the second one of those. My GSS is still going strong.

Took a couple of weeks off to build a new barn-type tool shed. Will be back to flying after next week.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you've been getting so much flying time in. After I crunched the GSS quite a while back, I got it all rebuilt, and after a few flights I ended up writing again, with two books simultaneously, and since then the GSS has hung patiently on the ceiling. It's been long enough now that I'm worried that the batteries are nearly pooched or aged-out. I'll check them, but I'm in caution-mode right now, and won't feel entirely comfortable until I have new ones installed. Nothing lasts as long here in the Texas heat.

I'm glad you got a copy of T.I.T.O.R. to take with you. The UFO crash at Roswell has great international appeal, so it's a pretty safe book to take along. I just released AERODYNAMIC in eBook form last week. I haven't had a chance to see if it's showing up online yet, because I was on a book-signing tour in Washington State last week. It should be by now. The audio book version of T.I.T.O.R. should be available any day now, which is pretty big news.

Since it doesn't appear I'll have a Syssa to work with, I guess I'll look into one of the others. Suggestions?

By the way, while on my book-signing tour in the Pacific Northwest, I learned to fly-fish, and I caught two whitefish, a cutthroat trout, a big steelhead, and a salmon. What a hoot that was! Everybody needs a day off once in a while, and Washington State is like an outdoor paradise. And, uh, oh yeah, I even signed some books!

Jim
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Anybody heard of the Aerovate 52CC twin, and whether it's any good?

Jim
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Aerovate = RCGF, except you payed more for them. Marketing hype was the only difference. The guy responsible no longer in the business to my understanding. If it was a good deal and I had a home for it, I wouldn't hesitate. There are several other small twins in that category now as well.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I'm trying to find pricing to compare, but this one seems like a good deal.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Joystick TX

Jim, nice to hear you are able to do some fishing too.

I have two Syssa's and neither one is on a plane. My Bell Hop construction is stopped, so it may be a while before one of them gets back on a plane.

I really like the new DLE-35. I don't think it is significantly more powerful than the Syssa. I can't tell any difference on my GSS. Just going by the vertical performance it seems to be the same. It does not have the throttle response that the Syssa has which makes it hard for me to hover well, probably due to it liking a lower RPM which means a bigger diameter prop and higher pitch., I have not spent hundreds of dollars trying different prop manufacturers, diameters and pitches, just went with the one available at the LHS.

I'm liking the new RCU, I just saw it do an auto-save of this message. Hope that works. I'm still in the habit of copying my text before I hit post.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I've seen it do several auto-saves. That's good news. I can't recall how many times I forgot to save my post, and got zinged when I went to post it up.

Here's what I'm looking at right now. Hobby King dot-com has a 53CC twin boxer gas engine for sale for $335.64

I've looked through the used engines here, and I've decided that since I can't get Todd to send me my Syssa, I guess I'll get something else brand new. I rarely have ever bought a used engine that didn't come complete with its own problems. Seems like it would provide plenty of power for the RC Guys Decathlon.

Any opinions on that 53CC twin engine? It's been years since I owned a twin, and I don't think I've ever owned a twin gasser. I'll bet it starts nice once it's tuned. I was GOING to get a twin Syssa, but that could be a real long time in the coming.

It feels weird finally making the decision to walk away from the Syssas. Sad to think that I'll be in this for over 800 dollars by the time I'm done, but if I can't get my new engine from Syssa, I can't get it. What other choice do I have, after a year of waiting?

Jim

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 09-23-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:30 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

EME makes a very nice 35cc that is offered by Mile High RC.

Last edited by karolh; 09-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

OMG. You won't believe this. Guess what I just found on my porch. There was a box with a Syssa in it, and on the case is a very fancy inscription that says V2.

I had ordered an IBE with mine (actually, I bought it through a special where I pre-ordered and was supposed to get a free IBE and the V2 at a special price), and it didn't come with an IBE, it came with a chicken stick. I don't use chicken sticks. It DID have the backing plate I ordered with mine, and it does have standoffs, but I don't know yet if they're the length I ordered. I also ordered muffler inserts, and I'll look for those.

Well, the Decathlon can't have two engines on its nose.

I've waited over a year, asked for a refund, and just a couple of hours ago, I went ahead and ordered the Hobby King 53CC twin. Do I laugh or do I cry?

Anybody want a brandy-new, genuine V2 Syssa?

Jim
Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Thought you would be selling the HK twin instead of the Syssa.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

This build project was supposed to start this time last year. Anybody can tell you that I was a huge fan of the Syssa engines, but after a full year of waiting and then being ignored for months when I cancelled my order and asked for a refund, I think it's safe to say that's one honeymoon which is well over. Suddenly, this box is on my porch.

More than likely, I'll stick with the HK 53CC twin.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

I just purchased a Valley View RC 40cc twin cylinder. It's getting great reviews and people rave about the Great Customer service
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

For the Decathlon project, the 30CC single was minimal power, so a 40CC twin might not be enough. I'll stick with the 53CC

And yes, Valley View has a good reputation, and I've gotten engines from them before.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 AM
tele1974

Post a pic of the V2. I haven't seen one yet.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasSkyPilot
For the Decathlon project, the 30CC single was minimal power, so a 40CC twin might not be enough. I'll stick with the 53CC

And yes, Valley View has a good reputation, and I've gotten engines from them before.
As long as you are spending big on engines, a FG-57 would be neat in a Decathlon.

Seriously, having seen someone flying the 53 twin in a Yak, I think you will like it.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

tele 1974,

If you have a V-1, take a photo of it, and it's the same thing. It has more fancy inscriptions on the crankcase, and other than that, it's identical. It looks nothing like the photos of the V-2 prototype, and it does not have that fully machined cylinder we were shown photos of. Same cylinder as before, same muffler as before, same crankcase as before. Just a little different inscription on the crankcase. I was told that the V-2's would have a thicker liner/coating in the cylinder than the V-1 did, for longer engine life. Does it have that double-thick liner? I have no way of knowing.

The Syssas I've had so far have all run great, and I think that this one would run great as well. But I won't be using it.

Jim
Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I got my v2 almost a month ago & posted about it here(w/pics): http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...here-last.html

From what I've heard, asking to return it to Syssa will do as much good as 'cancelling your order' did; ain't.....gonna....happen. But in my thread I talk about how Joe @ Build Right, Fly Right Hobbies in CT acted as an intermediary with me, as he's close to Todd (I think he's the "Joe" you see named on Syssa's 'Contact' page). Call him up if you want...I'm sure it was no coincidence that my engine shipped within a few days of my last-ditch, cry-for-help call that I gave him (I forget how I finally found out he was connected to Syssa...)

I'm sure it's a case where, like me, they sent what they had when it was ready & will send you the other parts when they can fabricate and/or receive the parts (I had to wait on the standoffs, as they were a unique size).

Frustrating as all this was, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially if Joe does indeed fill the role of a true customer-service dept, like he did so well & graciously with me. Syssa is a manufacturer; Todd should let someone else do the busy-work, as he clearly doesn't like doing it himself!

PS, if you, Jim, or anyone else does reach out to Joe, ask about that machined cylinder head issue. I, too, was expecting a machined head, not the cast one I received. The Tilotson carb is new, though. Still, you have to wonder if this is actually the 'true' v2 they planned/plan on releasing, or just a re-carbed v1 (with a new engraving) that they shipped to us squeaky wheels so we'd quit whining?

Last edited by Deandome; 09-24-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

In my long experience in R/C, there's nothing worse than a company ceasing to communicate with its customers. What reason could they possibly give to explain not responding, not refunding, not cancelling the order, and then, after a full year goes by, sending it out anyway? Plus, the order was incomplete, and it doesn't look anything like what I paid for.

The way it came, and the discovery that it didn't come complete or looking as we were promised, well, that speaks volumes in itself.

In 35 years of the R/C world, I've stood right here, in this exact spot, many times before.

Something's not right here.

Jim
Old 09-24-2013, 05:41 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hey, Deandome, how's it going?

Fun fact: I was promised the very first V-2.

If Syssa intended to follow up with an upgrade, then something to that effect should have been communicated to us. I'm glad that they're attempting to create some sort of customer support, but it would have been nice to have seen some of that support in the way of a phone call or returned email when I cancelled by order and began asking for a refund back in April, or anytime since then.

It's not OUR job as customers to have to continually seek answers for issues, especially when the company should have communicated with us and given us those answers. The only thing that's been communicated to me is a rather clear message that I'm going to take what I'm given, and like it, because the customer comes last.

I understand that many folks still have great confidence in Syssa, and that's great, because for one of those folks, I have this brand-new V2 at a real deal. Comes complete without the Opto-Kill switch I ordered, but it DOES have a chicken-stick, and a prop-drilling template, as well as the backup mountplate, and maybe muffler inserts.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.