Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 PM
trickpony4
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This site is currently unavailable.
If you are the owner of this site, please contact us at 1-480-505-8855 at your earliest convenience.

Yes sir, I'm getting the same thing!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

That's a shame.
I bought a couple of engines when they first came out.
Had some issues with the engine and service.
I tried to buy American, but it didn't work out.

Sad in a way,,,
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 AM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Yep, it's a shame! I bought one of Todd's early engines. It ran very well with no issues. After quite a few run hours, the con rod bearing failed so I sent it in and they rebuilt the entire engine for very small charge and turned it around in 3 days. My main reason to buy this engine was because it was built in the USA and I wanted to support manufacturing in our country when possible. So recently I purchased a DLE 35...it runs well and when needed I can get parts and service...but it's Chinese and therein lies the disappointing part. Sorry to see Syssa go...Todd is a great guy and I certainly got my money's worth from this great little engine. Hopefully some day the atmosphere will be such that manufacturing will come back to the USA and especially for the small manufacturers!

M
Old 05-29-2015, 06:30 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Just got my first Syssa 30cc and now they are shut down?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:36 AM
opjose

Nope the web site is back up.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Ok thank you? Love the 30cc sized plane's, easy to transport, so this is the first of many Syssa 30cc for me.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

http://syssaaircraft.net/

I just checked it. Works fine now.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

When did he move to SC, I thought he was in Conn.?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:12 AM
FlymoreRC

Originally Posted by soarrich
I'm a long time supporter of Tood's engines. Have two, and love them both!
Why SC? My guess is better weather, and better business environment.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:15 AM
soarrich

Not Why, When. I'd move in a heartbeat if I could get my wife to go.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 AM
FlymoreRC

Not Why, When. I'd move in a heartbeat if I could get my wife to go.
Well, I'm working on the wife issue as well.
my target locations are Southport NC, and New Bern NC.
Cost of living is 25 to 30 percent lower than Connecticut. And, the weather is more tolerable.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Best news I've heard today!
M
Old 05-31-2015, 07:31 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first I heard about the SAP move south was from one of Todd's suppliers around February this year. But the move may have been earlier.

I have two brothers in SC and thought about retiring there myself. Better Weather and lower cost of living are the main reasons. But since i also have two schoolage grandchildren to raise, it has stopped me. Schools kinda suck in SC.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:11 PM
soarrich

Originally Posted by MTK
But since i also have two schoolage grandchildren to raise, it has stopped me. Schools kinda suck in SC.
Try Raleigh NC, my daughter moved there 7 years ago, the schools are soooo much better there. Two of my grandsons are 14 & 16 are going to NC State High School on NC State's campus, when the graduate from high school they will also have an Associates Degree from NC State. I'm in Middletown NJ and I thought we had great schools until my daughter started telling me about their schools.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Earlier this year, January or February. Got tired of the cold winters and the ridiculous Connecticut business taxes.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Gungadin

Sent my engine to Todd in SC about a month ago for up-date and the new style muffler. Been trying to get my engine back as I figure a month should be plenty of time for this process. But his phone mail has been full for 4 wks. so you can't leave a message, and he has NOT answered my 3-4 e-mails that I sent in the last 3 weeks. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this situation, and would think twice about dealing with Syssa again. Just sayin.

Dan
Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gungadin
Sent my engine to Todd in SC about a month ago for up-date and the new style muffler. Been trying to get my engine back as I figure a month should be plenty of time for this process. But his phone mail has been full for 4 wks. so you can't leave a message, and he has NOT answered my 3-4 e-mails that I sent in the last 3 weeks. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this situation, and would think twice about dealing with Syssa again. Just sayin.

Dan
I wish that phone mail & all the ways of business places have to avoid answering was NEVER invented. Like all the phone options you get jerked through just for example trying to call a Doctors office to get information. Really burns your butt........
Old 06-28-2015, 02:16 PM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

I didn't want to come out complaining but sent my first of two I own back in early December. Sent the second one in a month ago. After untold emails and no responses I figure SYssa needed my $850.00 engines more than I did. Don't have either one at this time.
i have been a supporter at every turn but when service is poor, poor ,poor you have to say it like it is. Summer in MN is not that long but seems to not make a difference to SAP.
Todd said they moved the shop because electric was less and expected he had to get his main business back online, I get that but never a promise ship date is just not acceptable.

This could have been a hell of a U.S. Company but customer service has to step up! I like the way the engine is made and runs but need to be able to count on the service, perhaps contracting with another to handle service Should be implemented.
Fly a lot and enjoy!!!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:03 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over a number of years I've developed an opinion about just what goes on with Todd. Since taking on a government contract, he doesn't always come through on the promises he makes. I think he stretches himself pretty thin, trying to fulfill his government contract AND continue to provide services and products to the R/C community, his first customers. In his R/C provider days, we got used to stellar service from him. It was too good to last, one might be tempted to say. This is a little like playing the stock market now. We might wish that we could get the same service as before, but we really need to face the cold, hard facts. His government contract HAS to come first, or he will lose the contract. The US Government doesn't play around when it comes to that stuff, no matter what we might wish, or how badly it hurts our feelings. I bought an early-run Syssa 30CC single, and had great luck, free updates, fast service, and few complaints. I was so happy that when Todd asked me if I wanted his prototype V2, and showed me the photos, I said yes, absolutely. He promised me I would have it within one or two weeks. I paid for it, and after a year of waiting, I realized everything I wrote above, and was kind of P.O.'d when I realized that some months before, Todd had sold my prototype engine to somebody else. I cancelled my order, and five days later, a V-1 engine showed up at my door. Grrrrr. I tried to call them to send it back, but nobody would return my calls, so I sold it here on RCU to the first person who offered enough.
I think Todd's products are good. I think that when Syssa provides service AND product, the R/C community comes in a distant second priority for him, and that won't change in the foreseeable future. He tries to maintain his ties with the R/C community in case the government contract goes belly-up, and we suffer poor customer service/response because of it.
Expect everything that comes with this, and when nothing better than that happens, you won't be disappointed.

Jim
Old 06-28-2015, 03:13 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Giant Super Sportster still has a Syssa on the nose, and since it runs well and has few problems, I've left it there, since the cowling is cut for it. No complaints about the performance, and the gas economy is very good. I'll run it until it's no longer practical and then I'll replace it with something else and order in a new cowling for the new engine - maybe a DLE? What I WON'T do is send it in and wait a year for it to come back repaired.

Jim
Old 06-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Jim. I also have two Syssa engines. Had good service and customer support at the start. Got fed up with the lack of response using phone and email. Was happy to buy an American made engine, but had to switch to the DLE's in order to have something to fly. I will use the Syssa's on the Bell Hop I'm building and when they go TU, I won't send them back for repair, I'll just switch it over to a DLE 35ra.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Gungadin

Well I hope I don't have to switch to DLE. Maybe DA though.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:12 PM
JohnB96041

I must be living right or something. I placed an order to them 2 weeks ago. Got an email that one item was back ordered. I replyed that I would wait until all the items were available for shipment. Got all items today. That seems to be pretty good service to me.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

John, that's the problem. A company needs to have reliable customer service, it should not be hit or miss. The next time you need something, it could be days, weeks or months and you may or may not hear anything. A couple of years ago, I was flying 300 to 400 hours per year and I sent my engines in for repair several times and sometimes the service was fast, sometimes slow. Any repair time estimates were a joke. They returned one of my engines with someone's modified carb, I never did find out why or what happened. I was waiting for weeks for an engine that they said would be shipped in two or three days. Syssa was non-responsive, no one would answer the phone and the answering machine, if they actually have one, was always full so I couldn't leave a message and they seldom answered my emails. They also never used tracking numbers like 99.9% of the companies that I deal with. Jim and found out that my engine was sent to him by mistake and he sent it to me, otherwise I would still be waiting on my engine. A simple tracking number could have saved me weeks of heartburn. They lost a good customer and a lot of recommendations. Have had several friends bit by the poor service that I always hoped would improve. Now, when people see my engines and ask about them, I tell them "don't bother."

BTW - I have a business and my family has three businesses, two small ones and one multi-million dollar one, and we take great pride in our customer service. It is hard to call and not get a person because we have two backups (all in the U.S.A. by the way). You also don't need to press any numbers to get English, or any department, you talk to a person the old fashioned way. It is not rocket science.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:06 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 Great !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.