Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 37 years of flying RC, I got out of the hobby, but I have friends here in RCU (like Steve/Joystick TX!), so I still post now and again. I've sold everything; the last thing to go was my plane with a Syssa engine, and I hated to see them go. I'm big on planning ahead, so I kept quite a few parts around, and every winter I sent my SAP180 in for that year's upgrades and a general checkup. In all cases, I got back a pristine engine, and it ran like a top. I always ran my oil a bit richer than the recommendations, and used a mix of synthetic and regular, so you might say I'm a bit anal and I ran my own regimen for engine care. I never did see any indication of wear, and it was a killer engine for power and response. So, as far as the Syssa engines go, I have zero complaints. It was better than any other gasser I ever ran. I remember fighting with a DA50 years ago; the Syssa wasn't temperamental like that. Saito glows were my lifetime favorite motors.
Then there was that year when I made a deal with Todd to buy his prototype V2 engine (with a removable head that never went into production) , and after a year went by I realized he had sold it to somebody else and I asked for my money back. No money came back, but a stock-standard V1 showed up at my door, which I sold on the spot for whatever I could get selling it here in RCU.
That was when I realized that Todd is going to do what Todd wants to do, and no amount of moaning or complaining will change that. My personal belief is that when he finally gets around to producing and selling the engines full-time, most of the folks will steer clear of him. There will be no trust left. He makes great engines, but he's a crappy businessman when dealing with the public. He's used to military contracts, and for some reason he doesn't really GET it that there are people out here counting on him to stand and deliver.

~ Jim ~
Old 08-10-2016, 10:42 AM
kakariki
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully if Steve can get things sorted out with Todd, he can relieve Todd of some of that work. The engines are very good, they just don't have service and parts backup. I gather a lot were sold in the US and a lot of flyers don't want theirs to be paper weights.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:24 AM
FlymoreRC

Ben,
not sure how others feel about their Syssa engines, but I love the two I own. One of whichis in a 3D plane, and performs flawlessly with rapid response to throttle input and rpm wind up. Much faster than my other friends lower priced 30cc engines.
The other engine is in my 1/4 scale s super cub, which does not requre the precession of a 3D plane, yet contines to operate without a hitch.
And I have other engines, 15cc to 55cc, which run well, but not to the level of my Syssa.
Michael
Old 08-14-2016, 05:43 PM
the pope

I dont think many doubt there a good engine . Its the rest of the package that sucks . I would love to buy one but you never know if your going to be left high and dry with no parts , support etc so I wont . The boss has shown pretty much since day one that he has nothing but contempt for his customers . Red is a saint but if Todd doesnt feel like doing the right thing he doesnt and Red cant do a damn thing about it . I dont know how he could read all the negetive comments and still not give a rats behind . Cheers
Old 08-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm on my third DLE-35ra and haven't missed the Syssa at all.

If he was able to quadruple the power of his engine and cut the price by 90%, I would still not risk subjecting myself to the aggravation of putting up with his lack of customer service and total indifference.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice (or thirty times) shame on me.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Joystick, if I remember correctly, you one of the original supporters of the Syssa engine.

The DLE 30 that I bought to replace the Syssa after just a few months is still going very strong with all its original parts. It was apart for inspection several years ago then just reassembled.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Joystick, if I remember correctly, you one of the original supporters of the Syssa engine.

The DLE 30 that I bought to replace the Syssa after just a few months is still going very strong with all its original parts. It was apart for inspection several years ago then just reassembled.
Yes I was. I was impressed with the engine and came up with the mod for the muffler working loose which was incorporated into the design. Loved the engine, hated the lack of any form of customer service.

I'm only getting about 250 to 500 hours on an engine before one has a bearing failure. The Syssas and the DLEs both seem to last about the same number of hours. The ignition modules seem to fail at about the same number of hours as the bearings. I could try adding more oil, but I just follow what the manufacturer recommends.

Cancer has slowed down my flying a lot, went from running a gallon of fuel or two a week to a gallon every two or three weeks. It seems strange to look at my old log book and see where I made thirty flights a week, it seems impossible now, I just don't have the energy. Two or three flights a day and I'm worn out. I had to switch to a small electric plane for a while because I couldn't lift, or start, my Giant Super Sportster. Anyway I'm finally getting back into it again. My newest engine may last me three or four years.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:41 PM
JohnB96041

I tried to place an order on the SYSSA web site this evening for a couple of 18.5 x 5.5 vess props and the web sited would not let me place the order. Tried creating a new account and that failed. The web site seems to be very unscured. Not good. Sure would like to get a couple of these props on order.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
I tried to place an order on the SYSSA web site this evening for a couple of 18.5 x 5.5 vess props and the web sited would not let me place the order. Tried creating a new account and that failed. The web site seems to be very unscured. Not good. Sure would like to get a couple of these props on order.
I may have two new ones in my shop. Let me know if you don't have any luck with SYSSA and I'll see if I can find them.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:52 AM
FlymoreRC

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
You could try contacting VESS and explain your need. Todd must have had some sort of deal with them, but if he can't supply, perhaps VESS will step in.
Michael
Old 08-23-2016, 03:46 PM
the pope

He's probably got boxes of them but he would have to open the boxes but he's too busy and important to do that for his customers . Cheers
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 AM
JohnB96041

Ok, here is the results of a web order to SYSSA. I placed an order (finally) via the internet to the SYSSA web site and ordered 2 18.5 x 5.5 Vess props. Order was placed on Aug 23, 2016. I received the 2 props in the mail this morning. Not bad turn around. Maybe there is hope after all for the SYSSA engines and other equipment.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:01 PM
kakariki

Hi All
My Syssa which has been running perfectly has developed a fault. Prime it and 2-3 flicks it starts and only runs for about 5 seconds and stops. 2-3 flicks again it starts and only runs for about 5 seconds. I have adjusted the needles but no change, anybody have any ideas.
Thanks Barry
Old 10-14-2016, 12:37 AM
erieqc

Check the screen in your carb it might be plugged and only letting enough fuel in for that period of time. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by kakariki
Hi All
My Syssa which has been running perfectly has developed a fault. Prime it and 2-3 flicks it starts and only runs for about 5 seconds and stops. 2-3 flicks again it starts and only runs for about 5 seconds. I have adjusted the needles but no change, anybody have any ideas.
Thanks Barry
Old 10-14-2016, 04:41 AM
FlymoreRC

Originally Posted by kakariki
Hi All
Thanks Barry
Also, check for pin hole leaks in fuel line between carb and fuel tank. Check around carb nipple fuel inlelet. Pin hole air leaks have also occured inside the fuel tank along the pickup line at the copper tube connection, usually a problem when fuel drops down to expose that area.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:16 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Also check the two carb to engine case retaining bolts for tightness.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:22 PM
kakariki

Thanks for all the clues, I'll check them all and keep you posted.
Thanks Barry
Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all else fails check your fuel tank. Clunk could be plugged or fuel lines damaged inside tank.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
Also check the two carb to engine case retaining bolts for tightness.
Good Idea.....John Take care
Old 10-17-2016, 06:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AJsToyz
If all else fails check your fuel tank. Clunk could be plugged or fuel lines damaged inside tank.
AJ, you got a Syssa 30...you old dog. Just Kidding, John
Old 10-18-2016, 12:10 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh but it's not mounted. e moved and everything is still in boxes. It's ok though I have a couple of places it could go but will take time.

How you been John?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:09 AM
Joystick TX

I have two Syssa engines that have been sitting around my shop for several years. I decided to build a biplane use the "good" engine on it. My "backup" engine has bad bearings. I don't know if anyone at Syssa is still working on engines, so I don't want to pay the postage to send it in if it is just going to rust away on the dock.

Anyway, I made a Chuck Cunningham design "Lazy Ace" biplane out of Coroplast and put the Syssa on it. The build is covered on another thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Me and de plane sml.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	2243334   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Landing sml - Edited.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	2243335  
Old 11-02-2017, 05:18 AM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

Default No Syssa

There is no one at Syssa so do not suggest you send it to them. There are other options to get bearings changed but would need to research the correct replacement. Red Raider who was trying to revive Syssa USA sent the spare parts back to Todd Syssa and personal engines returned to those of us who had sent them to him in hopes of a revival.
Sweet little engines but zero support.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:47 AM
Joystick TX

Bigben, thanks for the info.

I knew that Red Raider was trying to help with repairs, but have not heard from him in over a year. I sent him PM's but never had any replies. He may be dead, or so disgusted with Syssa that he can't stand to discuss them anymore. I also tried to help Todd out, but it was like beating a dead horse. Syssa needs to get an award for the worst customer service on the planet.

I'll run the engine I have that works then replace it with a DLE-35ra when it dies.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 AM
av8tor1977

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice plane. Haven't heard of that one in years. A 30cc gasser ought to be about perfect. I might be interested in buying a copy of those plans from you; I always wanted to build one but never got around to it. It was considered a BIG airplane back in the day...

Regards your Syssa's. Bearings are not as specialized as people think. Engine makers use standard off the shelf bearings. All you have to do is measure the o.d., the i.d., and the width, then go to Boca Bearings and look up your bearings by size, and order them. Boca has great bearings, a huge inventory, and great service. They also carry the seals too; once again determined by size. If you order from them, just get their standard bearings. Their standard bearings are better than what many engine manufacturers use. They carry many higher quality, exotic bearings, but just their standard bearings are more than adequate for our use, and are actually an upgrade to many of our engines, especially the Chinese engines.

Piston rings can also be bought from several custom ring makers at reasonable costs. With just a little patience and a cheap hole punch kit from Harbor Freight, you can easily make replacement gaskets. So, unless you overheat an engine or run it without oil and ruin the piston and cylinder, or severely damage the crankcase or crankshaft in a crash, you can keep an out of production engine going nearly indefinitely. You're not likely to ever wear out the piston and cylinder in normal use; only possibly the ring(s), and even that would take a LOT of flying use as long as the engine gets clean air. (Planes flown off dirt should really use air filters.)

I'm guessing this info might make you feel a bit better about your engines. There is even someone lurking in these forums that I believe has machined new pistons for them on a "one off" basis.

Good luck with your Lazy Ace. How about a video of it?? Did you post a build thread of it somewhere?

AV8TOR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.