Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I've been reading this thread, and I hope all you nay sayers never try to bring a new product  to life!  Tyssa, you are to be commended for your effort, especially in todays economy.  The market you target is a tough one, and I personally wish you well in your efforts.
best of luck
zx32tt
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Thanks zx32tt and Stephane...appreciate it!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I like the idea of three stand-offs rather than four, frees up the area to set linkages up for the carb.

What does "all rigid tapped formed threads" mean? I understand the difference between a rolled thread and a cut thread, but those are external threads, I assume you describing internal threads.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 AM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Just my .2 cents and a little late I know, but Iam getting into gassers right now....didnt want to spend to much money on an engine.... Iam more then sure that I will be letting a plane or some other equipment go to have one of these. Dont get me wrong, not everything coming from China and other places are no good, there is a lot of things to be said about imports, they do great....However, Ibelieve that all the importing is a major contributer to the crisis at home....Its just to easy to buy the cheaper imported stuff, how can you compete with the cost of operating overseas? YOUCAN'T! So whenever I have the chance to buy American, I do it, cause that means I am helping support my fellow American. And apart from being a Veteran, I am take a imodest pride in my country, jsut like anyone should.....

On another note, soarrich, you have been helping me with my gasser issue, think this will fly that extra we were talking about? It may be on the small end, if not, I have another plane I could use this engine on but do you think it is a reasonable range?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: CastorTroy2150

think this will fly that extra we were talking about? It may be on the small end, if not, I have another plane I could use this engine on but do you think it is a reasonable range?
I think this would fly a GP Patty OK, I'm not sure it would 3D it though, but I don't think Patty ever did 3D in the full size either, so I'd say it will fly it appropriately.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 AM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

[/quote]

I think this would fly a GP Patty OK, I'm not sure it would 3D it though, but I don't think Patty ever did 3D in the full size either, so I'd say it will fly it appropriately.
[/quote]

Well then looks like Im gonna have to have me an american sweetheart......mmmmmmmm can feel her in my hands now.....
Oh and Tsyssa, Iam really disappointed in you....that USA milled into the side in that picture....Should be at least 20% bigger, red white and blue and play the national anthem when you press it(with option speaker jack for those of use who would like to install speakers on our planes)!!!!on a serious note, I would not worry at all about it selling...at all....period... your going to produce a quality product..NUFFSAID!FIN!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Syssa Aircraft

The carb is very easy to setup with the linkage.  It comes with the threaded stud coming out of the ball link...so all the modeler has to do is spin on some 2-56 Sullivan golden rod and go back to the servo.

The throttle is off to one side and goes straight back...no no problem.  Its very easy to get at.

One thing....I hope modelers that change to gas from nitro take advantage of my engine by putting the tank as close to the cg as possible...this makes for much more consistent flying characteristics.

Also, I have to thank my dad greatly for getting me flying with the PT trainer when I was 9 years old...I still have as much fun (or more) now than I did back then.   I'm gonna sound old now...but man...have things changed since then!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:41 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread forming is done by deforming the metal rather than cutting it.

http://www.balax.com/forming.html

Rigid tapping refers to the machine feeding the tap in and out under power feed at the appropriate feed rate equal to thread pitch. The machine keeps track of the angular positon of the tap the whole time. This keeps the threads shaped properly without the chance for gouging.

I think that this engine will do fine. I do not believe in buying the cheapest that will do the job. I'd rather have a used quality product than buy an equally priced new cheap import. Much of my own measuring equipment for my homeshop is second hand top quality.

When I go buy dumb plastic party cups at Wallyworld I make sure they are made in the US. There just is no way to justify the waste that goes into making a cup in China and shipping it by ocean freight to the US to save a few cents. One ocean freighter burns 500,000 gallons of bunker fuel one way from China to the US, then it still has to be distributed in the US.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Nosedragger

Actually rigid tapping is in referrence to the tool holder type. Regular tapping on a machining center uses a tap holder that has compression and extension spring to accomodate for feed errors in the Z axis.Rigid tapping uses a solid body tool holder that does not let the tap  "float".
 Solid tapping requires closer synchronization of the spindle and Z axis than normal tapping. Its an standard or an  option  on more precise machining centers.
 Mentioning rigid tapping in the picture does suggestion the machining is being done on  machine made to higher standards.

Thread forming in aluminum is superior to cut threads as they are actually cold forged they are significantly stronger.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 AM
WarbirdPilots
My Feedback: (209)

LOL, I am loving this thread.  It is nice to see the Connecticut modelers chiming in.  I was actually made aware of this great engine a couple of weeks ago by Joe at Build Right Fly Right Hobbies in Wallingford.  He is very excited about its incredible performance numbers and its small dimensions and weight.  I approached Joe about maybe wanting to go gas for my KMP Spitfire, and expressed my concerns with needing an engine to fit in the narrow cowl with as little cutting as possible.  This engine should fit right in and with the rear exhaust, it is thinner than any other gas engine I have seen. 

I have done research on 26cc gas engines, and what I have found is that for my application (KMP Spitfire) and many other warbird applications, you are going to spend about $250 or more for the engine itself.  Then you are going to need to purchase an inverted wrap around pitts muffler for an additional $150.  So you are already at the $400 mark and the engine is only 26cc.  And on top of that, I will still have to do some cowl cutting because eventhough I would purchase a wrap around muffler, the exhaust still originates from the side of the engine.

So for only $30 more, at the $429 street price, I am getting an engine that will fit nicely in any narrow cowl, has a larger displacement, AMERICAN made quality and reliability, and comes with customer/product support from an individual that has clearly shown he is upstanding, intelligent, and customer service oriented.  You can learn a lot about an individual just by the way he responds to positive and negative posts. 

I wish you the best of luck Todd with your business venture, and know this engine has a very bright future in todays market.

Adam

Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

The more I see of this engine the more like it!  Todd, the fact that you include a muffler is a real plus.  The three standoffs are a bit unusual.  I'm a bit concerned about how high the standoff is compared to the centerline of the engine.  Could you post a mounting template so folks could see if it would fit their applications?

And a request to the moderators could you clean this thread up so that it is an informative thread about Todd's new engine, and not folks flaming each other?

Sam
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Todd,

I remember talking with you during the X100 thread and your plans for a Motor! 

I wish you all of the Best of Luck!

And Congrats!

Ed "Hibrass" Harley
Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Man 32 and running this business, I give you cudo's especially in this economy. Funny, whenever someone here's CT, they think $$$$$, but the truth is no, most of us are only little $, Itoo grew up in a country part of CT, lived in a slightly bigger house, and no my parents wern't rich, none of us were except that neighbor kid who's dad was a doctor, but it's just a misconception of CT. I'm 33 and I do live in a nice area now, but it wasn't always like that, I still am only slightly past the halfway point on getting to the 6 digit income most people view CTers to have. I do believe that we should all buy american. With that said, not everybody needs a good strong 30cc for 3D, if I did buy one, it would land itself in a 105" nosen citabria, so Dirtrider250 has no leg to stand on as far as the size of a plane. I don't ever want to run a 100cc extra, but I'll run a 80-100cc in a hostetler scale plane or the valiey avation fw190 plans I have.Heck, I'm buying a $1400 os 4 cylinder for one of my kits, that seem absurd to some, but it's what I want to see in the plane, the price of a good product is forgoten very quickly over the cost to replace a cheap product that doesn't last as long. With that obscure rant, I will be buying one of these engines due to the fact that it's made in the usa, local, and he truly knows what he's doing and everybody deserves a chance.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Thanks Adam...Hey you should come check out the engine some weekend when we fly in Farmington...
Sam...no problem...we already have a template...so I will post it on here in a short time...

The third standoff leg is actually not that high..1.227" above the centerline of the engine. It fits just about anything. If there are a few models that have issues with this...Ican machine a different rear mount to the engine...but so far Ihave not come across this issue.
I will put a template up here...but when you print it out...you will have to make sure that the scale is correct by checking the reference dimension to the left. The template that comes with it is, of course to scale, exactly. Hope it helps.

The resolution of the logo did not translate to the gif very well...but Im sure everything else will be pretty detailed and accurate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29174.gif
Views:	61
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1222648  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Syssa Aircraft

oh...and the carb cut out is not correct in this template...it has to still be changed to less of a cutout.  The engine goes right into a Funtana 100x with no issue...and the firewall on that is pretty small.  It is a 100 size plane.

Hibrass...yes...I do remember you!  Thanks!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM
hairy46

Hey Todd that USA on your motor looks so nice, Thanks! Bob

Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the post that some people knew was coming......I've cleaned up a lot of the name calling and general arguing in this thread. I will continue to do so if anyone feels that they just have this itch to keep up the nonsense.

I tried to PM everyone who had their posts edited or outright deleted. I may have unintentionally missed notifying someone.

Please keep all exchanges and comments friendly and nonpolitical. These are the simple and lenient rules of RCU. 
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
wjvail

Deleted by poster...

Old 06-22-2009, 02:12 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I am quite aware that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but why such a negative outlook??

Karol
Old 06-22-2009, 02:38 PM
wjvail

Every time there is a spirited discussion on RCU, such as this one, it first gets edited and then oftenclosed. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8655634 Threads that actually have a discussion where not all the parties agree don't go on long. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_76...tm.htm#7716124

What has gotten this thread in trouble is that it's not only about a new engine on the market but has also begun to include a discussion of America, America's abilityto compete in a global world and why this new engine is roughly 2 1/2 times the cost of engines made elsewhere. These are such obvious discussion points that it is little wonder that this thread has drifted back and forth between "a new engine" and "engines from other places". Some are discussing a new engine and others are arguing for, or against, its price in this global economy. Still, this violates the "no politics" rules of RCU. It is not possible to compare this engine to others on the market without at least touching on the global economy and politics behind it.However, that is not permitted. If we cantalk about this engine and ignore the pricing andany comparison to much less expencive engines inthe world, this thread will go on.... Otherwise it will be closed.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

If this engine, can put out the same #'s as a O.S. 160FX then i'm sold.  I just went giant scale this spring .... first with an GP Yak54 with the 160 in it and then a 50CC extra with a DA50R in it.  I'm already thinking about swapping out the 160 because of the amount of glow fuel i go through.....  Great job on getting this venture going.

Geoff
Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Todd,

I'm interested in your engine, and no, the price does not have a lot of bearing on whether or not I would purchase this offering.  I'd be interested in learning the extreme dimensions of the engine (from the crankshaft C/L). 

$429.00 for a quality engine?  No problem.  I have spent nearly that much on an industrial 26cc engine when you consider all the charges for tweaking and trimming the engine, and adding a quality ignition system, and it still does not make the numbers that you claim for yours.

I suppose my biggest question is: will if fit inside the Cowl.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Stickbuilder...did you see the mounting diagram?
Ican send you the dimensions externally of the engine...just pm me your email.

As the gentleman said...lets try to keep to questions about the engine...and not politics...lets be productive and get questions answered!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Flyfast1

This engine could be a nice option for warbirds, where the rear carb and rear exhaust reduce the amount of cowl that has to be cut. One plane that comes immediately to mind is the new version of the KMP Hurricane, which is rated for a 35cc gasser. A 50cc gasser would require too much cowl to be cut, even with a wrap around pitts muffler, and would be overkill anyway, while a 25cc size engine does not have enough power. Ihad a 26cc gasser in the first version of the KMPhurricane and it was adequate, but would not be enough for the current larger (and heavier) version. This 30cc offering might work very well. I think someone else mentioned that the price is actually competitive with the Chinese imports if you factor in having to also buy a wrap around pitts muffer, that usually runs at least another $100 (if not more). Iwill be interested to see some performance numbers with a 10 or 12 pitch prop.

-Ed B.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

Iwill be interested to see some performance numbers with a 10 or 12 pitch prop.

-
I don't think anyone is going to be running one of these with a 10~12" prop,16~18 is more likely.

As far as the price goes, comparing it to something it's likely to replace, a big Saito , YS, or OS, price isn't an issue. Do you think the scale guys are going to spend $1500 and a winter on a plane, then save $150 buy getting the cheapest engine? I fly with a lot of guys that would only buy a cheap engine, but if they get 50 flights on a plane before they drill for oil with it it's a lucky plane. Two different markets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.