Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Texas...I know it gets hot where you are (100 plus)...but even in 93 degrees F with high humidity, 87 is fine...even under severe loading conditions with marginal cooling. I really took great care in designing the hemi combustion chamber, compression ratio, cooling fins, etc to balance power and reliability for long life. We have had zero detonation problems so far. Remember, higher quality fuels are not available everywhere...and I wanted to make sure that our engine will run well with no problems on 87.

93 octance was tested some time ago and we lost 100 rpm off the top.

Todd,
That's an interesting approach. I also liked your explanation of the metals used. Very high quality materials.

Thanks
Jim

Moderator reformatted editing codes so the post would read as intended by Jim
Old 06-24-2009, 07:16 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is about Todd Syssa's new engine design and it's application to model airplanes

There are a couple of you who insist on trying to argue international marketing strategies, race, economics, politics, quality of other products, and carry this thread away from the original topic and most of these have been removed.

Some of you same people have made some good pertinent posts that were left in place.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gee, I thought I'd posted a few more times than this.....that explains it. I'm not crazy.

Just a baaaad man.

Jim
Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

A follow-up post to my last one, here are the standard specs on the SIG Sun Dancer 50CC Bipe.

Wing span - 71.5 inches

Wing area - 1668 sq inches

Length - 66 inches

Flying weight 17-18 pounds

wing loading 23 ounces/sq foot.

Engine: 3.2 (50CC) to 4.2 (70CC)

Those are the specs. Knock a pound or two off, or maybe three, and it might change things. Obviously it won't have the B^lls to the walls power of a 50 or 70CC, but it has a ton of wing, so I'm weighing it out this way and that way. If it equals or can exceed the power of a 42CC then it appears it would do a fine job of flying the Sun Dancer around. It would certainly reduce the wing loading, which would in turn reduce the actual requirements due to reduced overall weight.

It sure has me scratching my head and thinking about it..... This might be what I've been looking for.

But just like when I sit around with my flying buddies, I'm interested in other opinions on this combination. Heck, that's half the reason we're in this hobby. Doing it alone would be boring!

Thanks

Jim
This engine won't be enough for the Sundancer. I don't think you would be happy. I friend had a DZY48cc twin in one and it did not have unlimited vertical. It was spinning a 20x8 Xoar. When taking off he could go vertical for about 80 feet and then have to level off. When powering a bipe, you just can't look at the all up weight. You have to remember that there is alot of drag to overcome with the extra wing, cabanes, and interplane struts. Looking at the RPM numbers provided for this engine, I would not put it in a bipe weighing over 14 pounds. Keep it in a bipe around 11 to 12 and you'll have a nice hotrod. 13 to 14 would be scale like.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Smacka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Super08

I am thinking this engine would be a perfect match for the new Aeroworks Cessna 195 that will be coming out. I believe it is designed for the 26~34cc class.
Wow! I sure love the "lines" of this Cessna. I am not too crazy about the color scheme but I am sure I will/would eventually warm up to them. Does Aeroworks have any information/specs on this bird? Was it showcased at the toledo Show, or something like that?

I realize that this post is slightly off topic..but...but...but...I am looking at this plane from a "hmmm...maybe it would be a good fit for Todd's new engine" standpoint. I appreciate your patience with my questions.

Thank you for the info!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking on the Aeroworks site last night for mention of the plane and I couldn't find anything.

Certainly an attractive plane and it appears to be a good candidate for use with this new engine
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is off topic, but the Cessna was showcased at Toledo this year. I am not sure when the production version will be released. Here is a link to an earlier discussion on it.
Specs are as follows:
Wing span - 90"
Wing area - 1350 sq in.
Fuse length - 69.25" (rudder to cowl)
Weight - 15 - 17 lbs.
Engine - 1.6 - 2.2 glow or 30 - 35cc gas

Price - TBA

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8659189
Old 06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Keep in mind, 3D is NOT my style, standard aerobatics with limited vertical and hammerhead stalls are my type of flying.

This engine won't be enough for the Sundancer. ...... I friend had a DZY48cc twin in one and it did not have unlimited vertical....... When taking off he could go vertical for about 80 feet and then have to level off.
My 50cc twin in a 17 pound scratchbuilt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b4oYv4vbUg

I think this strong 30cc would do what he wants, the Sig is very a docile flier.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Syssa Aircraft

I think it would very well in the Cessna...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Birman

Todd, is the ignition system also your design or is it from someone like CH?
Thanks,
Birman
Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Syssa Aircraft

The ignition is an RCEXL...they are very, very reliable...and work very well...just ask anyone in the know. RCEXL is the ignition to use for singles and twins.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

When can we expect the release and how long from order to delevery?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Birman

Thanks Todd.

Birman
Old 06-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Syssa Aircraft

It will be about 3 weeks now...
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Rich,

Nice video. Also the onboard video too.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

The AW Cessena is alive and well... being tested right now with a Saito, but will be using a Gas 30cc as well.

Another plane that is not out yet that will be good for this wil be the ExtremeFlight 78" Extra when it arrives. It's suppose to be lighter than the Yak which will put it sub 12 pounds.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Smacka

Thank you all for the info on both the AW plane and the Extreme Flight plane. I guess I need to decide whether I want to dabble in all out 3D with the Extra or in trainer/aerobatics with the Cessna.

Either way, these are good problems to work through

Have fun, and thanks again...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Syssa Aircraft

daveruminski,

I never used anything other than a solid mount...the engine does not vibrate anymore than a glow engine...it actually runs smooth for a single cylinder.

...never had any vibration issues any airplanes it was in...even the stock Funtana, which is pretty lightly built...it is a 10 pound or less plane.

I guess you could use one...maybe it would reduce noise slightly...but I think you should really try without it...

When I originally designed the crankshaft and went by the formulas and present practices, I got it close as possible but redid the forging dies a few times to refine it.

As many know, balancing a single cylinder engine is a balancing act. Its not as simple as some might think.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

A follow-up post to my last one, here are the standard specs on the SIG Sun Dancer 50CC Bipe.

Wing span - 71.5 inches

Wing area - 1668 sq inches

Length - 66 inches

Flying weight 17-18 pounds

wing loading 23 ounces/sq foot.

Engine: 3.2 (50CC) to 4.2 (70CC)

Those are the specs. Knock a pound or two off, or maybe three, and it might change things. Obviously it won't have the B^lls to the walls power of a 50 or 70CC, but it has a ton of wing, so I'm weighing it out this way and that way. If it equals or can exceed the power of a 42CC then it appears it would do a fine job of flying the Sun Dancer around. It would certainly reduce the wing loading, which would in turn reduce the actual requirements due to reduced overall weight.

It sure has me scratching my head and thinking about it..... This might be what I've been looking for.

But just like when I sit around with my flying buddies, I'm interested in other opinions on this combination. Heck, that's half the reason we're in this hobby. Doing it alone would be boring!

Thanks

Jim
This engine won't be enough for the Sundancer. I don't think you would be happy. I friend had a DZY48cc twin in one and it did not have unlimited vertical. It was spinning a 20x8 Xoar. When taking off he could go vertical for about 80 feet and then have to level off. When powering a bipe, you just can't look at the all up weight. You have to remember that there is alot of drag to overcome with the extra wing, cabanes, and interplane struts. Looking at the RPM numbers provided for this engine, I would not put it in a bipe weighing over 14 pounds. Keep it in a bipe around 11 to 12 and you'll have a nice hotrod. 13 to 14 would be scale like.
I appreciate the thoughts, but Hotrods I've got by the dozen. Unlimited vertical I've done......but really never cared about. Except when I fired off Estes rockets as a kid. Sweet flying bipes.....those are things of beauty. I'm willing to bet that the Sun Dancer with this powerful 30CC will fly much like my SIG Hog Bipe used to with its Saito .91.......sheer majesty. It might even have a little more than that.....either way it's how I like them to fly. I'm going to focus on this and see if it's what I am looking for......I've been looking for a very specific combination for this.

Understand also that I already have a new 3MM TOC 53CC gasser with a canister if the numbers and results on this don't pan out. I'm set either way.

Jim
Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM
weezle

I thinik this engine is going to be a winner!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Me too.

Jim
Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
ottertok
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Todd, looking forward to receiving my engine and looking forward to purchasing one of your future twins.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
highflyer66

Todd.. I'll take one.... CRRC makes that 40 in a kit? Been looking at that. 10oz heavyer then there 26. Thats not bad for a 40.
DLE-30 coming out soon. So what!! A made in the USA 30!! My friend I Might take 2...Good luck T0DD..SYSSA..We all will watching your website..
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: ottertok

Hi Todd, looking forward to receiving my engine and looking forward to purchasing one of your future twins.
Hi Ed,
I too have one or possibly two of these beauties coming my way.
I,ve been waiting for them to be released since last August.
What kind of exhaust are you planning on using? I,m seriously thinking about an ES Composites carbon pipe setup.
It should get this puppy breathing really well, possibly even getting the thrust #,s up into the low 20lb range.
The new EF 78" Extra due in a couple of months should be an awesome combo just as Jake pointed out earlier.
This engine put in this airframe with a tuned pipe setup is going to be awesome!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31851.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1224158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32440.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1224159  
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Todd,

I'll take one too. I'd like to talk to you about what kind of muffler you think would be best for the SunDancer Bipe, and if smoke is a possibility. I'm not married to the idea, just thinking about it.

I'll work with whatever timetable you have.

Feel free to PM me for more information whenever you need it.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.