COF
Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
dlenginesaustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: Beej

Hi All,

Well, this is a complaint I am sorry to say. I want to love this engine, the way it runs and it's workmanship but I have struck some problems that should be easily rectified but I just cannot get any customer service. I have posted my latest (Friday) email to Todd below in the possibly vain hope that he reads this forum, that he cares about customer service, and that perhaps some of you have some kind of relationship with him and/or the company that can help me to understand what's going on. I have no doubt that the problem is that in a business sense they don't have quite enough volume to dedicate people to customer service/repairs as well as manufacture and innovate, and, at the same time, not enough volume and sales margin to move to a distributed business model where agents will deal with the sales and the repairs/warrant issues etc and as manufacturers they become wholesalers. It's a common problem in small businesses but it doesnt help my $1000 investment........ Any insight/news etc appreciated. I'm trying to stay polite and constructive but, at the end of the day, I'm a very good and loyal customer who is being ignored. Beej

Dear Todd,

It has been 6 weeks since i sent this and other emails but without a reply. Similarly, your distributor in Australia has sent recent emails without a reply. As you would know if you have read the other emails, currently, I have two SAP 180s performing below their best and in need of attention. My understanding from Scott (Australian Agent) is that you have offered to replace one of these with a V2 engine but I have received no estimate of when that engine may arrive. That still leaves the other engine requiring repair, and currently I'm not getting any flying done, and the end of November is rushing at us. How would you like to proceed? Do you want the engines sent back to you directly, or through Scott? Will they be replaced/repaired by Christmas? Your attention to this would be very much appreciated - with the purchase of the two engines and props, pipe mounts etc I have spent well over $1000 with you so I'm a pretty good customer so would appreciate some communication regarding the way forward.

best
Hi ''Beej''

I still have had not a response from Todd since the email where he said he will be replacing the engine with the v2 but did not answer any of the other qns. I have asked if he wants them sent back now or should I wait and also asked for approx time frames to give you. As you know this has been going since early September. And again nil responses to any emails asking what to do next.

It is not a spam filter thing or anything that some people here have suggested because we are in Australia (figure that one out?) as when he is live and on air I get the emails without a problem. It can only be a Spam filter problem if the emails are sent in the first place.

Send the Syssa engines to me and I will ship them back to Todd with the other one I have waiting here, and we can just hope and wait for Todd to get them sorted. I would just prefer to get a confirmation email along the lines of ''Yes send them to us please'' so we can have some confidence we are not just sending them into the Abyss.

He has always... eventually sorted things out, but the 6 month turn around is frustrating.

Ive been asking for confirmation of stock of other items from them before I place an order (chicken sticks etc), and get no response to these emails either.

It is a shame his service has gone down the tube, as when when started out selling these in Australia the support we got from the Syssa Factory/Todd was great. I hope that they can get themselves sorted and be back to the service that they provided in 2011. We have sold a reasonable amount of these engines over here, and for the most part people have been very happy with them.

Scott
DL Engines Australia
www.dlenginesaustralia.com

Hi

If anyone out there in SYSSA land is in Contact with Todd, can you please ask him to contact me with an update.

Sent engines back, tracking shows they have been delivered but still cant get an answer from SYSSA.

Customer got an email over a month ago, but not us. I have not heard from him for 3 or 4 months.

Got concerned customers that I cant give an answers too, and would just like an update (good bad or otherwise) from SYSSA themselves.

Thanks

Scott
DL Australia
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Knife/edge

Hi everyone. I to purchased one of these motors which I must say performs faultlessly. The only thing is the noise the motor makes at WOT. in excess of 92 dbls. But in the UK the threshold is only 82 dbls. I have been told that a straight flexi header pipe & canister should do the trick. The problem is can't find one in the UK. But I know they can be found in the USA. Has anyone tried one of these Headers on their Syssa 180. and if so could they please inform me where I can purchase one from. And also let me know what decibel readings they achieved. I don't mind paying over the odds. So long as it doe's the job. Many thanks to anyone who can answer my question. With regards Knife/edge
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
JohnB96041

Have you got the muffler inserts? I have a SAP180 with original muffler and the muffler inserts and at full throttle on the ground at 10 feet measures 89.0 db.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

82 is pretty quiet. What are other guys with gassers doing to get that low? Is everyone running cans?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. Not much going on in here.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Knife/edge

Unfortunately for me there are no other persons that I can ask at my club as I am the only one who has a Gas powered Model, and that has yet to fly, dew to the fact that we have a noise sensitive flying sight. and 82db is the threshold. So any information from anyone would be much appreciated. By the way I do have the inserts in the exhaust tubes. many thanks Knife/edge
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
JohnB96041

What size prop? And make? If you go up in size it could lessen the noise.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
JohnB96041

I am using a Vess 18.5 x 5.5 wood prop.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is an earlier post, from 5150flyer, that lists the measurements he made using the AMA guidelines:

"I am on the sound committee at the club and here are our real world results. AMA test standards at 10 feet and tone inserts installed:

• Vess 18x6 prop @ 96 db.
• Xoar 19x8 @ 94 db.

A DLE 30 with stock muffler and a Zinger 19x8 is over 100 db and causes ear pain within 10 feet."

If you need to get to 82db, using the USA AMA guidelines, that may be tough. An electric motor may be too loud.

I wish the db measurements were more repeatable, it seems to be more of an art than a science. The surface hardness, wind, calibration of the meter, mode used, surroundings, ambient noise, and how the tests are made all impact the readings.

I think the 96 db figure is going to be pretty close to the average that most people will get with this engine.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
opjose

Knife/edge

I've often interchanged mufflers from similiar sized motors from other companies.

You should be able to find a header that fits the Syssa engine, then add a can muffler to help lower the sound and pitch.

Higher pitched noise is usually perceived and measured as being "louder" than lower pitches.

The prop size will be of limited help as these engines don't spin fast enough for prop size to be a significantly contributing factor.

I've tried 2 and 3 blade props on the engine and could perceive no difference. A sound meter measured no more than a couple DB's off.

BTW: If they take a measurement of your plane, make sure it is done on a soft surface like grass, which deadens the reflected sound.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 AM
Joystick TX

Knife/edge, what type of plane are you flying? I have my Syssa on a Giant Super Sportster that weighs about 13 1/2 lbs. Most of the time I fly it at 1/4 throttle and it will take off at half throttle and will hover. You may be able to use a throttle stop to limit your engine to 1/2 throttle to hold down the noise until someone comes up with a muffler that will meet your club requirements.

Several people here have been working on reducing the noise. Has anyone had any signifcant sucess?

A soft-mount will reduce the noise a little, but I'm not sure how much.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Knife/edge

Hi Joystick, Many thanks to yourself and all the other fellow modelers that have responded to my request.The model I hope to fly some time, is a gold wing Sbach 342 weighing
10.1/2Lbs dry. using a 18x8 Vess Prop. can I just explain that my original request is for the location of A straight flexi header to fit the SAP 180. My problem is that I can get many types of canisters for 30cc motors localy, but I can't find any straight flexi headers in the UK. and was hoping someone might know of a trader who may stock them in the USA. That will fit the SAP180. Things are getting desperate now, as I am running out of time, due to my 77th birthday will soon be here
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a fellow who knows what he's doing suggest going to a motorcycle shop and getting some muffler packing to attach to the inside of the muffler's backplate. Apparently it will also keep oil off the plane, as it tends to burn while ccaught in the glass packing.

I suppose high temp silicone, and maybe some safety wire to hold it in place?

Anyway, our field is in the middle of no where, with our nearest neighbor being a rock crushing concern, so I probably won't try it until I have cause to have the motor off.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Joystick TX

I would think a local machine shop would be able to make a header for you at a reasonable price. I have been able to make them from brass and also copper plate and tubing for glow engines. I have seen the straight, nodrop,headers for sale, but there was not enough technical info to know if they would fit the Syssa engine. Not sure why you need the flexi pipe, seems like a flexible tubing would work for the header to canister connection.

You may want to check out the forum "RE: SAP 180 (Syssa Performance), there is a lot of discussion about noise and tuned pipes there.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
moto-x

Has anyone talked with Todd or know if the V2s are ready for sale?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Joystick TX

The V2 is not quite ready yet. Getting close.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM
AGNI 5

Had to send in my Syssa for service.Sent a email to Todd and received a prompt reply saying he would repair it with return shipping paid by him. Though the repair is simple I chose to send it in. Sent on 11/3/13 and received on the 10/4/13 repaired. Now how is that for service.Excellent! NOTE WHERE I LIVE.Tell the manufacturer exactly what the problem is and be honest about it and you will be repaid  with excellent service I did buy the engine direct from him and waited for 21 days for it to be delivered about the average delivery time.
     Any one worked out how to operate the choke using a servo or other wise?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM
bob418
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: AGNI 5

Had to send in my Syssa for service.Sent a email to Todd and received a prompt reply saying he would repair it with return shipping paid by him. Though the repair is simple I chose to send it in. Sent on 11/3/13 and received on the 10/4/13 repaired. Now how is that for service.Excellent! NOTE WHERE I LIVE.Tell the manufacturer exactly what the problem is and be honest about it and you will be repaid with excellent service I did buy the engine direct from him and waited for 21 days for it to be delivered about the average delivery time.
Any one worked out how to operate the choke using a servo or other wise?
Here is a link to the video of how my choke is setuphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgD6vS1eo94
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Joystick TX

AGNI 5 - Glad you had a good experience. I had servo operated choke for a while and went to a simple nyrod system with a spring to hold it in the off position. Works great and gives a positive choke every time. You can see pictures of it if you go to my gallery.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

82 is pretty quiet. What are other guys with gassers doing to get that low? Is everyone running cans?

82db is about the same as 2 people having a spirited conversation. Tell the guys that made that rule to fire up their cars while holding the meter 10 feet away...they won't pass. Tell them to drive past at 50 mph in highest gear, they won't pass.

To pass that rule, you will need a hell of a good exhaust system, a big prop, and sub 6000 rpm on a 30cc...and possibly a carb muffler as well. Intake noise is louder than you might think.

A public square with some people in it is likely to not pass 82db.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 AM
AGNI 5

Thanks for suggestions regarding the choke arrangements. Anyone Tried a 17*10 or a16*12.Read recently that some guys are running a 15*14 prop. on their racing machines. I fly mostly sports aerobatics
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Joystick TX

I just checked my Gallery and noticed that most of the pictures were corrupted and can't be viewed. The odds that they will come back during the migration to the new servers are slim. I took those back in 2011 and can't find them right now. If you want pictures of the choke setup, I can take some new ones. I added a choke to the Giant Super Sportster with Syssa 30cc gas engine. I removed the factory choke setup because it did not seem to be as reliable as I liked. I used a 3/8" rubber compression fitting, epoxy gluded to a short 3/8" maple dowel and Nyrod tubing running back to a servo in the center of fuselage. Works great - the servo pushed the rubber compression fitting into the choke hole from the rear like a big rubber finger.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Joystick TX

Here are some pictures I found of the mod to the carb screws, converted them from "v" slot to phillips head and put in a guide to make it easier to find them when the cowl is in place. The carb choke can be seen in the picture, it is in the retracted or off position. The plywood mount is adjustable so the rubber stopper can easily be centered in the carb opening.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65563.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1870736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41045.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1870737  
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Joystick TX

I see that was a big waste of time. If you PM me with your email, I can send you the pictures that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.