Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Hi!
Looks fine but...the silencer looks like a joke! Way too small!
Problem for all two strokes is that they need a large volume silencer to really reduce noice and sound well (not sound like a moped!).
That's why a cannister is needed. Look forward to a manufacturer that can make a two stroke silencer that doesn't reduce horsepower and doesn't sound like like a moped!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27061.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1221549  
Old 06-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaka,  I wish everyone could use a cannister...but a majority cannot due to the airplane design and size constraints.  Our engine definitely does not sound like a moped...lol
We will be offering a nice cannister for our engine soon.

bob...looking forward to talking with you as well...

Konstantinos...thanks!  Hello to Greece...we will be able to send our engine anywhere in the world that we are allowed to ship to.

JeffR...thanks...actually a few people saw my engine at Nall 2009 and were encouraging me to design a nice 200cc. Its not off the table...but its a bit of a financial investment and time...making an engine takes lots of focus.  I wont make an engine just to have one for sale...I want it to be something great...something outstanding...if its just ho hum or the same as whats out there...to me there is no point in doing it.  I strive for greatness and innovation.

Daddysam...it is a CM-6...there is no other way to go.  The plug is straight and you actually do not save much by angling it.  It is straight for performance and combustion chamber shape reasons. Angling a plug can get kind of messy...and we have a very nice hemi head design...I would not want to change it...after all that work...plus the spark plug lead goes nicely right in between the muffler outlets back to the plane.  Soon I will have some better photos for you to see.

By the way our connecting rod center distance to stroke ratio is over 1.8:1.

thanks all..
Old 06-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Syssa Aircraft

by the way jaka...what plane is that in the photo?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

HI,

Before you get too many back orders on this new 30CC, what's process so I can order one from you. Ithink this engine will be the perfect fit for the new Funtana 125 that Ihave on back order and it's not due to till the end of July.

Regards,

Chuck
If drinking and driving are illegal, then why do bars have parking lots???

AKA
Old 06-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Chuck, we wont take any money from you until the engine is ready to ship...

You can give us your information...by email..and let me know what your putting the engine into.  Does the new Funtana have the same firewall to hub distance as the 100X?  I think it is 5.125"?  If so we have a standard standoff for 5.200" which would be very close to what you have.

Actually I had a Funtana 100x with a test engine in it last year...it was a blast to fly.  Nearly a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio with an 18x6.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Todd,

You ask a good question.I don'tknow, so I checked the Horizon web site and they don't have a soft copy of the assembly manual on line for the new Funtana 125. Isent them an email requesting the information. When Iget the info from them I'll send you an email with the dimensions.

Thanks

Regards,

Chuck
If drinking and driving are illegal, then why do bars have parking lots???
Old 06-20-2009, 04:14 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd, Is the cylinder jug yours also? I understand that the better jugs for utility engines come from Taiwan. It's cool to see an American made product. I'm not into large engines, but would hesitate to buy any of the imports just because. It's nice to be able to spend dollars at home when it's possible and practical. It's too bad that's not really possible with smaller glow engines.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Sure..thanks...
I'll have to dig up some photos of the funtana with the SAP180 in it.  Actually, it balanced really well without adding weights anywhere.

Adding ballast weight to an airplane is like putting an ugly tattoo on a pretty woman.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: karolh

. Plus Ralph thinks it's a winner so for my money it does not get much better than that.

Karol
If you made this post from what I posted, I never said he said they were a winner, Just that they looked good, not saying they are not a winner just do not want to mislead what was said by Ralph to me.

Milton

Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Vacaman

What a nice engine you got there Todd.
I think that a great design, quality and customer service worth the extra money. For the numbers this engine would be a good sustitute for a ys140, a little heavier, but much less fuel costs.
I am about to build a giant profile, and this engine seems great for it . When is the release date?

Old 06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC Extreme power

ORIGINAL: karolh

. Plus Ralph thinks it's a winner so for my money it does not get much better than that.

Karol
If you made this post from what I posted, I never said he said they were a winner, Just that they looked good, not saying they are not a winner just do not want to mislead what was said by Ralph to me.

Milton

Milton,
Yes I did and thanks for the correction. It was never my intention to mislead and I would surely hate to offend 'anyone' one way or the other.

Karol
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

Talked to Todd today and cant wait til he ships them. I'm on the order list. Gonna put it on an old Yellow Aircraft Giles g-300 for testing.......

Jamie
Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i need video
Old 06-21-2009, 12:02 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Beautiful motor,.......BUT that muffler is just exhaust tubes. That may work for the guys in AZ or Nevada, but on the east-coast it's going to cost fields.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Its quieter than you think.   Also will be offering a cannister muffler.

With the silencers installed in the exhaust...its even less.

I'll get you the numbers soon.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Todd,
   There is a pattern communitee screaming for just such an engine! I run pumped OS 160s at about 8200 rpm with ES pipes on 18.1x10 APC props. Would there be a problem making 94db? Have you done any RandD with pipes ,power and noise?  Noise is not a killer for me but  to fly the NATS there is a noise rule to comply with.  I really want to BUY AMERICAN!!!
                                  Go Man!! Go!!!
                                                    RC11  
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RC11... exactly my thoughts! The ZDZ 40 F3A is just a bit too heavy. This motor however, would work just fine if the power is there.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

Its quieter than you think. Also will be offering a cannister muffler.

With the silencers installed in the exhaust...its even less.

As we get older our hearing degrades, you might want to get it checked. I flew with a guy who's planes where so loud they hurt and I always complain to him about it, his response was" It's not so loud", one day I notice he had two hearing aids, it might of been a battery problem.

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

Also will be offering a canister muffler.
I try to run canisters all the time. The rear exhaust is great.
Good luck!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Syssa Aircraft

LOL...my hearing is really good...makes up for my 20/200 eyesight in one eye. I wear earplugs in the shop all the time.

Actually I dont think you will have problems with that prop at all.

If I recall (I am always doing sound tests, but dont have my computer with the data with me as its sunday and am at home) the last test I did was at 8800 rpm with an 18x6 Vess prop over concrete at 25 feet away perpendicular to the prop....3 feet above the ground...and got a max reading of 93 or 94. Now this was not with the sound restrictors in (which make a difference) with the stock muffler you see. Also, this was at 8800. At 8100 (with the 10 pitch prop loading more) the sound may even be (more than likely) below the limit without the cannister.

Whats nice is the rear exhaust on my engine will exit right out and easily go into a cannister, which I plan to make soon.
If some F3A guys have input on a desired size cannister...maybe I can whip one up. After all...we have full welding and machining capability here. I actually have a sweet orbital tig system here for round parts. I plan to offer a header also by itself so people can use whatever cannister they want if they dont want an SAP cannister.

So...let's here it F3A guys!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Syssa Aircraft

hear it! and where earplugs...wow spelling)

I guess I was hungry for breakfast and was typing too fast in that post.

sorry...forgot to answer one question...did not do any pipe tests yet...soon though.

I estimate that with a pipe you will get 700-850 rpm over included muffler you see.  And that is the exact muffler that will come with the engine...its been tested extensively and we have already made 500 of them...so...

Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been reading this whole thread with some interest, and I have a few comments.

First, I'm interested in the engine, and I haven't read thoroughly enough to know what the weight and power, etc. all are for it, I'll find that all out in time. But the second immediate thought is that THIS is America's future. Sure, we all appreciate a "good deal" and buy Chinese engines, they're cheap and run well enough to please most of us. Heck, I have a CRRC and another one with other letters...whatever it is. SPE, Ithink.

But sooner or later we all have to face the fact that the American economy's speed ofrecovery depends entirely on the rate that Americans buy American goods. $429.00 is a little high, I'll grant you that. $389.00 would sound a lot better to most of us and actually put it within reach to many more of us.

That being said, having set up a factory before, I know how it works here. Your startup costs are very high and the first runs may cost the customers more until some of the startup costs are recovered. I imagine a price adjustment will come in time, because in the end you still do have to compete in the market.

Jim
Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 AM
RC11

If this motor is suitableup through masters in pattern ,power and weight wise it is areal bargain at $429.  The cheapest adequate set up in a pattern ship is the OS160. With the motor , header ,pipe and pump you are looking at an easy $600 bucks. And there is the fuel cost also.
 A YS 170 with the CDI can cost Way over twice that.
    I know we are getting the cart before the horse here but  if you can give us some real numbers on props, power weight and noise you will be absolutely amazed at the interest you motor will generate. I know RPM on the ground is arbitrary at best but if you can create a gasser at 39 oz. that will turn an  APC 18.1x10 at 8000 and do it quietly , the pattern community will beat a wide path to your door! Will you be hireing in the near future?
  And did I hear you say with a linear throttle response?

RC11
             Many have tried and not succeeded. I hope you can pull this thing off! 

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m not saying that the value isn’t there. And it’s great that a certain portion of the flying population will beat a path to his door. That also means that rest of the population pretty much WON’T. The American economy and the world economy are in flux right now, that means that the last man standing will be the one with a realistic and flexible game plan. American products are going to have to sell for less by the time all the adjustments have been made, that’s why everything is in flux right now. I doubt that tsyssa will find things to be any different. Wal-Mart hasn’t done what it has done by offering only expensive American products, and that has taken away from the American workers.

Only by adjusting prices can we compete. Not blow-for-blow, foreign labor like Chinese labor is far too cheap. It’s great to be able to extol the virtues of good American craftsmanship, but that alone won’t convince many folks. Bring the price just a LITTLE closer AND extol the virtues and benefits of solid American craftsmanship, and MANY more folks will be able to rationalize spending some more for an engine.

Let’s not kid each other. We all know that pretty much every one of us has gone and shopped at Wal-Mart, knowing that somewhere your basket full of goods just unseated an American worker from his job. We’ve all gone to that cheap tool store and bought something made in<place></place><country-region></country-region>China.

We’ve all got families and budgets and kids in college and you-name-it waiting to eat up our money. If we’re going to rationalize spending more on a 30CC engine it’s got to be giving us enough reason to make that decision. I can pick up a CRRC engine for 200 bucks. I want something with American quality, and that’s worth more, but $429.00 plus shipping ??? That’s more than twice as much! Yes, it’s beautiful, and I feel like I want one. But most guys also have wives who will want to know what they want to spend the money on and why. Now, my wife is great. She’ll say sure, go ahead. My last wife and the three before that HATED my planes, and I had to play hell getting a few bucks here and there out of the budget. THAT is the norm out there, and in this economy with savings being lost in the market and all that I would bet that things are even worse that way for most guys. $389.00 and I stand a chance of being able to convince her that the value is there compared to the others. I’m not speaking about my present wife, I’m speaking for the other regular guys out there. Or say $399.00 delivered. Something like that.

That’s just my take on it, and as I said, it’s not just the value, because the value is there. It’s what the average Joe is going to be willing (or able) to spend to have that. The big money in this industry, except in very rare cases, is not made from the specialized market, it’s from the average guys, and 10 times as many of them are scrutinizing what is available and more often are spending money on more modestly priced items. Striking a balance between the very best and the very most expensive.

That’s my 2 cents worth!

And I still think I’d want one.

Jim

Old 06-21-2009, 10:57 AM
RC11

well written and I totally understand and agree. My contention is that no one has been able to do this domestically or from overseas with gas
 at any price. If this motor can make real numbers ( 8000 rpm at 39 oz. with an APC 18.1x10 and last) it will be  in a class all by itself and worth the bucks. To me...      We will have to see some numbers and then make the investment. Then the proof will be in the flying.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Texas...I hear you loud and clear...but many do not understand what the real cost of a china engine is...and many dont understand what it takes to make something of this quality.  

Right now...we do not expect to have a million engines out there...we are in a slightly different section of the market...I wish I could desperately lower the price...but that would mean cuts in quality somewhere...and I did have a vision that many people want...and I have to stick to it.   Believe me...the price should be higher...I lowered it as much as possible so as many people could afford it as possible...but look at even some "mainstream" 26cc gas engines which are made in "other places" and they cost more and offer less performance at a higher weight...and still at a higher price when it is all said and done.   How much does a real aftermarket pitts muffler cost?...because you know you wont use the one that came with the engine.

I think if you add it all up...even $429 is a good deal for what you are getting.  Its difficult to get into all the details...but consider one thing...for example...connecting rod bearing race tolerances and surface finishes...this is never talked about generally...but I put a heck of a lot of time into getting this near perfect as it can be...

Compare an engine from a Honda to a Chevy anyday...and one will see what I mean, regardless of where the vehicle is made.  its all about quality of materials, engineering, and tolerances....and that stuff is not free...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.