Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I do have some of the turbo hose but haven't used any yet. I have been using some 7/8 regular silicon hose and surprisingly it has held up so far in my testing. I'll use it till it blows and hopefully I will be comfortable with a pipe length by then. Thanks to all for the great thread and all the help. It is so good to have everyone share their info!
RC
Old 04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: RC11

I do have some of the turbo hose but haven't used any yet. I have been using some 7/8 regular silicon hose and surprisingly it has held up so far in my testing. I'll use it till it blows and hopefully I will be comfortable with a pipe length by then. Thanks to all for the great thread and all the help. It is so good to have everyone share their info!
RC
Rick, which silicone hose are you using now, the blue stuff?

We're in for a bit of crappy weather so I think I'll install the turbo hose just to get a definitive answer as to whether it will work for us.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Bob,
Regular white from McMaster Carr. It is holding up so far but I'm sure it will blow the 1st round of the 1st contest.
I wonder if some screen over it would help it to hold up. The turbo hose is really heavy and thick.
Rick
Old 04-17-2010, 08:18 AM
cmoulder

Bob,
Regular white from McMaster Carr. It is holding up so far but I'm sure it will blow the 1st round of the 1st contest.
I wonder if some screen over it would help it to hold up. The turbo hose is really heavy and thick.
Rick
OK, I'm using that same white silicone as a "jacket" over the aluminum spacer and the fiberglass/teflon tape. It appears to be holding up very well since it's not exposed directly to hot exhaust gases.

Going to install the turbo hose anyway, and when I remove the current coupler later this evening I will know what's going on with the spacer and the FG/Teflon tape beneath the silicone hose. And of course I'll be running it thereafer with the turbo hose alone - a much simpler arrangement, if it works.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

Bob,
I have to ask this question. Is it worth all the hassel you are going thru in terms of added performance or is it something you are trying to overcome? Guess I'm asking what added RPM you are getting from the pipe?
Good luck with your quest!
Ben
Old 04-17-2010, 11:19 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For others reading this, a new quite pipe and header assembly as well as the associated parts from MAC's is pretty well going to do away with $300.

So to spend that much extra you need the performance for a reason?

http://www.macspro.com/tunedpipes.asp

Old 04-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Gungadin

You Bettcha !!!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

For iothers reading this, a new quite pipe and header assembly as well as the associated parts from MAC's is pretty well going to do away with $300.

So to spend that much extra you need the performance for a reason?

http://www.macspro.com/tunedpipes.asp

Macs pipes are much too heavy for the intended application. The carbon fiber pipes we use are from ES Composites and they are about 1/3 the weight of the aluminum ones. Cost is actually slightly less than the Macs ally pipes too (that was a surprise)

I've discussed the available boost in performance much earlier in this thread. It is quite a boost. I started a different thread in the Pattern Forum where many other details pertaining specifically to piped matters are being discussed.

I'm not sure whether sport fellas understand (or care) why Pattern people would spend
400$+ on an engine and another 250$ on the exhaust system. But we do!!

The ability to turn much more prop is one such reason; Reducing the noise footprint to a whisper is another. This same engine will turn 18 and 19x10 props all day long on the pipe at very useful rpm. It will not do that on muffler
Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.escomposites.com/petrol.htm

Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: bigben

Bob,
I have to ask this question. Is it worth all the hassel you are going thru in terms of added performance or is it something you are trying to overcome? Guess I'm asking what added RPM you are getting from the pipe?
Good luck with your quest!
Ben
When it all gets dialed in, it will be worth it. Putting a gas engine in a pattern plane is a fairly new phenomenon, and being new to tuned pipes and soft mounting engines has made for a pretty steep learning curve for me. My present coupler is working fine, but the turbo hose simplifies things. Much easier to replace a single piece of hose than the spacer/tape/jacket concoction.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
babflyer
My Feedback: (2)

I have a handful of flights with this motor on a hangar 9 150 size mustang. First flight dead sticked. I think the fuel line kinked with the added heat of actually flying with the cowl on. I knew it bent pretty sharp before hand anyway. Oh well didn't seem to hurt engine as far as I can tell. I am having trouble getting it to draw enough fuel on choke but I think this is again because of my setup. The mustang doesn't allow the use of the outer normal hole of the choke plate. I will fix it somehow. I didn't realize untill close inspection that the choke plate wont go closed the whole way the way I have it set up.
18X6 zinger pro was not nearly enough prop for my aplication. The motor can handle more prop it seems with ease. Zinger pro 18x10 made a huge difference. With the 18x10 the plane flies just fine and actually winds up having a cool sound on a dive to buzz the runway as it unloads a little more where the 18x6 was turning fast regardless of how you were flying.
To fit a Zinger pro 18x6 with a tru turn spinner was no big deal. To fit a 18x10 was! It's thicker and the crank isn't any extra long so I bored a forstner bit down into the face of the prop a little so that basically the nut went on the crank as far as it did with the 18x6. You only get maybe 2 threads engaging on the jam nut which is needed to accept the spinner bolt, without modifing the prop. I know a top flight 18x12 Needed bored even more than the 18x10 but I don't know that I will run it.
Engine runs great right now, Hopefully I am right about the choking situation and that once it closes off completely it fires up much faster. The rear carb rear exhaust is wonderfull for my setup. Good power, good speed, easy neat installation.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

RC
Rick, which silicone hose are you using now, the blue stuff?

We're in for a bit of crappy weather so I think I'll install the turbo hose just to get a definitive answer as to whether it will work for us.
Don't know if would work for your application but some guys just use silicone heater hose for couplers between their header pipes and can type mufflers or pipes on gassers. Might be worth looking into! Its available and fairly cheap ... also reinforced.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 AM
cmoulder

I went ahead and installed the turbo hose. Will fly sometime mid-week and will find out how it works!

Also installed a DB 3" FAI-style spinner, and had to enlarge the slots a lot for the APC prop. Was astonished to discover that a simple Dremel sanding drum works much better than a grinding wheel. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37919.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1420792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64962.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1420793  
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

babflyer,

Are you using a tuned pipe in the Mustang? What rpms were you getting with the Zingers?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
MsgtRob

Much flying this weekend, another 15 flights or so on the stick. Engine is running great, 102 mph (Radar gun aircraft speed) with the stick and an 18 X 6 video attached..

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11036826&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11036826&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

20100418111434 from Rob M on Vimeo.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us54638.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1420921   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg17745.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	1420922  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

Much flying this weekend, another 15 flights or so on the stick. Engine is running great, 102 mph with the stick and and an 18 X 6 video attached..

No offense, but the math doesn't add up there. 102mph prop speed would be ~18000rpm.

That said, that is a really cool video. I like the nerf "bomb".
Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Joystick TX

MsgtRob,

Only 102 mph? I guess you need to upgrade to a tuned pipe!

I like the bomb, do you have it set up to mark like a BDU-33? I need to put some on my Sportster.

Glad you and the engine are doing well.

P.S. Looks like you have not had any rain for a while.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM
SteelersRule!

My Ryan STA 120 is 13 1/2 pounds. Not looking to do 3D or anything, I assume the Syssa will be more than adequate, yes??
Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Joystick TX

Lou,

I think my Giant Super Sportster is heavier than that and it will climb straight up out of sight so you should have no problem with your plane. I am using an 18x6 Zinger right now. Will pick up an 18x8 today, not to get more thrust, don't need it on the "cruiser" airplane, just want to reduce the noise a little.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
AJsToyz

Lou,

I don't think you would have any troubles at all. Nice slim profile with plenty of power. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Rob,

I like the bomb! Way to cool!!

Andy
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
SteelersRule!

thanks guys!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM
MsgtRob

[quote]ORIGINAL: wpmcnamara

Much flying this weekend, another 15 flights or so on the stick. Engine is running great, 102 mph with the stick and and an 18 X 6 video attached..

No offense, but the math doesn't add up there. 102mph prop speed would be ~18000rpm.

That said, that is a really cool video. I like the nerf ''bomb''.

Thanks, good fun. THe airplane itself was radar clocked at 102 mph (Not the prop speed!) The nerf drop is done with a standard servo, piece of carbon rod, some spare hardware and 3 old plastic glow motor mounts (with nose wheel steering) as bushings for a sliding rod. The nerf has an eye hook screwed through a ziptie and a piece of ply. We dropped it about 25 times ad the zip tie/hook never failed. The nerf on the other hand starting to split on the seam, but stopped at the ziptie. MUCH FUN!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

[quote]ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: wpmcnamara

That said, that is a really cool video. I like the nerf ''bomb''.

Thanks, good fun. THe airplane itself was radar clocked at 102 mph (Not the prop speed!) The nerf drop is done with a standard servo, piece of carbon rod, some spare hardware and 3 old plastic glow motor mounts (with nose wheel steering) as bushings for a sliding rod. The nerf has an eye hook screwed through a ziptie and a piece of ply. We dropped it about 25 times ad the zip tie/hook never failed. The nerf on the other hand starting to split on the seam, but stopped at the ziptie. MUCH FUN!
Not to wander to far off topic, but it was my understanding that in level flight, airspeed would always be less than prop speed due to slippage and inefficiency. Ground speed, which would be what a radar gun measures, would be some combination of air speed plus/minus wind speed. While you can certainly gain airspeed in a dive, I wouldn't expect it to be >2x.

Back on topic I'll return to drooling over an incredible piece of engineering and trying to figure out how to justify getting one and an airframe to go with it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM
MTK

What do you mean "Prop Speed"?? I don't think you want to say prop speed per se....prop speed is rpm. Prop tangential speed varies from zero at the hub to well over 400 mph at the tips.

I think you mean air speed that the prop throws back through it's disc area. This will also vary depending on where the plane is (ground or air).

If the plane is at SNL flight for example, air speed through the prop disc is only about 10 mph faster than the plane.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
babflyer
My Feedback: (2)

No tuned pipe, just the stock muffler. Rpms were in the 7k's with that zinger pro 18x10. Im on the rich side I am pretty sure, trying to break it in the way I always have done airplane engines. I tune my gassers in untill they just barely run right and then leave them there and don't lean them any more. I know the low is rich still thats for sure. That prop flew my mustang very well were the 18x6 just wasnt enough prop for the plane regardless of how easy the engine spooled it up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.