Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE30!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEW DLE30!

I recently bought a DLE30 and its completed installation in the intended home.  I notice a spring installed inside the spark plug cap which, after trial fitting a couple times, has fallen out and I am having a difficulty putting it back in. I also notice what appears to be a replacement spring supplied so, I am now wondering if this spring necessary for effective operation of the ignition and engine?  Can I forget about it and carry on with breaking in the engine?

Thanks

DaleD

Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The spring is required , operating without it is not advised
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: roknHS

Does anyone have experience with the single bolt prop adapter? Is there any difference in the vibration characteristics of the engine when using the adapter? If the adapter is not machined perfectly, I could see a potential problem with vibration.

I've tried VV twice on this and have not received any answer........guess they're busy.
I'm using one. It's machined to fit the prop hub. If it's installed properly, I don't know how you would get any runout/vibration due to it's install IMHO.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 PM
stanordave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tossed the spring in all my engines, they run just fine without it.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM
gen3v8
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DaleD

I recently bought a DLE30 and its completed installation in the intended home. I notice a spring installed inside the spark plug cap which, after trial fitting a couple times, has fallen out and I am having a difficulty putting it back in. I also notice what appears to be a replacement spring supplied so, I am now wondering if this spring necessary for effective operation of the ignition and engine? Can I forget about it and carry on with breaking in the engine?

Thanks

DaleD

Just sit the spring as well as you can in the cap and fit the cap, Its a tight fit.
The engine will run fine without the spring BUT your radio gear may suffer interferance.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: CK1

The spring is required , operating without it is not advised
I can't see where the spring accomplishes anything other than making the cap harder to install. These springs are supplied with DLE engines that use the Rcexl ignition where other similar engines using the same ignition and plug caps do not use the spring.

If the shield (outside) of the plug cap fits the plug securely and I have never seen one that didn't, how can that spring help improve the grounding of the shield to the plug in any way.

Just my semi educated $.02 worth on the matter.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
YAT-28E

What size tank is recommended for the DL30? I am thinking of using in a 20 lb scale project.
Also, has anyone used the shaft extension to push it out 3/4"?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

I have a new DLE 30... my first gas.... What airplane would you recommend for this engine? what would your favorite airplane be and what weight do you recommend....?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Richard,
Put it on a four star 120, and dont worry about the weight.
Alan
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 PM
cmptrguy

Richard:

The Pilot RC 25% aircraft (Extra 260, SBach 342, and YAK54) are all nice airplanes and are made for this engine. I have the SBach342 with the DLE30. What a nice combo. The quality is outstanding and hardware is all good and is there.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
cmptrguy

Richard:

Also the Sbach 342 and DLE-30 combo weighs in at 12-1/2 lbs ready to fly.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Sbach342Guy

Extreme Flight RC 78" Extra 300 works great with the DLE-30

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/78extra.html
Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Capt Cash

Engine troubles. Had about 4 dead sticks today and one a few days ago. If anybody has any ideasthat would be great as this is my first gasser.

What I can tell you now:

- New DLE-30running NGK CM-6 plug, 4.8v 2500 mAh NiMH ign battery.
- 1.2 gallons of fuel run through so far at 32:1, first 20 oz was on the ground.
- 42% Opto kill switch.
- Properly vented 16oz tank with separate fueling, venting, and engine fuel line with walbro 527 felt clunk.
- Lots of black exhaust crud the first gallon but it's starting to subside now. I'm told this is normal.

Since the intial start this engine has ran smooth as a kitten. Broke in with 18x8 prop, now running Xoar 19x8 getting about 7200 rpm. Running factory needle settings intiatially at sea level. Leaned the low and high 1/8 turn today after the dead sticks, still no difference. The transition has always been perfect without even a hint of a hiccup since day one.The engine performs perfect in verticle, inverted, etc. Idle is great and has only gotten smootherwith just a little burble between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle.The trouble usually comes afterthe first 5 min. While just cruising wings level at half throttle or soit'll just start coughing for no reasonwith a severe reduction in power and usually die.Sometimes it'll startcoughingatany power setting though.On one landing it was still running, butata pathetic very rough low idle withalmost noresponse to fullthrottle followed by a backfire and flameout. With the engine cowl offresults are thesame. I can also usually get it torepeat on the ground ifI run it long enough.Subsequently, without doing anything to the engineit starts right back up 10 min later,running fine like nothing happened.

The pluglooks fine ata nice brown color and dry. The ignition battery has never gotten below about 5.2v. What'sodd is most times it's also making a loud backfire right before it quits but it just runs perfect the other 99% of the time. Today my first 3 flights were 20min each and all went great, thenafter 5 min intothe 4th flight the dead sticks started. I also charged my ign battery at the field thinking that was it but I doubt it. One thing of note also is that when the engine is running very rough on the ground I can see that thered ignition light from the opto kill switch flickers.

I'm thinkingthis could be an ignitionor timing issue?, ordo I just not have the needles tuned correctly? Thanks all.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Truckracer

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Capt Cash

Engine troubles. Had about 4 dead sticks today and one a few days ago. If anybody has any ideas that would be great as this is my first gasser.

What I can tell you now:

- New DLE-30 running NGK CM-6 plug, 4.8v 2500 mAh NiMH ign battery.
- 1.2 gallons of fuel run through so far at 32:1, first 20 oz was on the ground.
- 42% Opto kill switch.
- Properly vented 16oz tank with separate fueling, venting, and engine fuel line with walbro 527 felt clunk.
- Lots of black exhaust crud the first gallon but it's starting to subside now. I'm told this is normal.

Since the intial start this engine has ran smooth as a kitten. Broke in with 18x8 prop, now running Xoar 19x8 getting about 7200 rpm. Running factory needle settings intiatially at sea level. Leaned the low and high 1/8 turn today after the dead sticks, still no difference. The transition has always been perfect without even a hint of a hiccup since day one. The engine performs perfect in verticle, inverted, etc. Idle is great and has only gotten smoother with just a little burble between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. The trouble usually comes after the first 5 min. While just cruising wings level at half throttle or so it'll just start coughing for no reason with a severe reduction in power and usually die. Sometimes it'll start coughing at any power setting though. On one landing it was still running, but at a pathetic very rough low idle with almost no response to full throttle followed by a backfire and flameout. With the engine cowl off results are the same. I can also usually get it to repeat on the ground if I run it long enough. Subsequently, without doing anything to the engine it starts right back up 10 min later, running fine like nothing happened.

The plug looks fine at a nice brown color and dry. The ignition battery has never gotten below about 5.2v. What's odd is most times it's also making a loud backfire right before it quits but it just runs perfect the other 99% of the time. Today my first 3 flights were 20min each and all went great, then after 5 min into the 4th flight the dead sticks started. I also charged my ign battery at the field thinking that was it but I doubt it. One thing of note also is that when the engine is running very rough on the ground I can see that the red ignition light from the opto kill switch flickers.

I'm thinking this could be an ignition or timing issue?, or do I just not have the needles tuned correctly? Thanks all.
Try running the engine without the kill switch. Also, actually SET the needles! Then report back here.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Capt Cash

I agree, I'll remove the kill switch. Seems like the needles are tuned great at the moment.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: YAT-28E

What size tank is recommended for the DL30? I am thinking of using in a 20 lb scale project.
Also, has anyone used the shaft extension to push it out 3/4''?

Thanks
Mike
I'd like to know what the fuel range on this engine is too.
getting ready to fire mine up so i can figure it out the old fashioned way, but would appreciate info from others here.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Capt Cash

I'm using a 16oz tank and it seems plenty for me on a sport plane where my flying style is around 1/2 throttle. So far with total engine run times of 22 min, I land with at least 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank of gas remaining. I think a more hardstyle or 3D flying would still safely give about 15 min of endurance on 16oz.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: cmptrguy

Richard:

Also the Sbach 342 and DLE-30 combo weighs in at 12-1/2 lbs ready to fly.

Thanks to everyone what made a suggestion for my DLE 30...
Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
summerwind

I'm using a 16oz tank and it seems plenty for me on a sport plane where my flying style is around 1/2 throttle. So far with total engine run times of 22 min, I land with at least 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank of gas remaining. I think a more hardstyle or 3D flying would still safely give about 15 min of endurance on 16oz.
thx Cash,

sounds like about 1 minute per oz is a safe figure.
this just gets better and better
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Capt Cash

Engine problems solved.

Without doing anything else, I removed the opto kill switch last night and then flew a full hour of flight time today. The engine never skipped a beat and ran great just as it always has had, when the ignition was continously on that is. Should've known it was the kill switch when I saw the red light flickering in combination with the engine coughing. It's possible it's faulty or it was my setup. I found some other threads where people were talking about the exact same problem as me however and said neveragain,and then on the same thread people have used these for hundreds of hours without fail. Don't know what to say other than I can't recommend that brand of kill switch. I know I could probably get a replacement for free but I think I like the KISS method now. The servo choke works great anyway for killing the engine. I realize my plane could possibly fly away now if I lose the transmitter or receiver, but as long as I can recover it, damage likely may be about the same anyway.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:44 PM
summerwind

Engine problems solved.

Without doing anything else, I removed the opto kill switch last night and then flew a full hour of flight time today. The engine never skipped a beat and ran great just as it always has had, when the ignition was continously on that is. Should've known it was the kill switch when I saw the red light flickering in combination with the engine coughing. It's possible it's faulty or it was my setup. I found some other threads where people were talking about the exact same problem as me however and said never again, and then on the same thread people have used these for hundreds of hours without fail. Don't know what to say other than I can't recommend that brand of kill switch. I know I could probably get a replacement for free but I think I like the KISS method now. The servo choke works great anyway for killing the engine. I realize my plane could possibly fly away now if I lose the transmitter or receiver, but as long as I can recover it, damage likely may be about the same anyway.
my eyeballs are totally bloodshot from searching the Kill switch threads. finally gave up as there are as many cons to the pros on the subject and PM'ed a couple people who have been helping me with questions.
while the idea of the engine power being cut via a loss of Tx/Rx communication sounds great, i think i will go with the ol tried and true servo to switch actuation to kill the engine.........

maybe these switches are too delicate?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 PM
jedijody

If you don't want to use a kill switch you can still prevent your plane from flying away with your choke servo. Just program the fail safe for that channel to close the choke when Tx signal is lost. You should have also programmed the throttle servo to go to a fully closed position in fail safe mode as well.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO REPLY.......JUST A LINK TO A VIDEO WITH GOOD TIPS....Capt,n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhzcp5zE-vs&NR=1
Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
kerwin50

I'm saving my pennies every day for a DLE 30 don't have a plane picked out yet but I'm looking
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

I'm saving my pennies every day for a DLE 30 don't have a plane picked out yet but I'm looking
Ditto that...hoping after the end of the year that I'll have enough to get a DLE-30 and a kit to build into a home for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.