Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE30!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE30!

Why not talk to this guy about your smoke needs? his mufflers are a little better than the DLE one

http://www.rcextremepower.net/mufflers.html

Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
WCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me run this by you guys and see what you think. My DLE30 V2 runs great at all attitudes, however, when I do a vertical figure 8 and come out on the last part (bottom) of the 8 from being inverted back to level the engine sputters and almost dies every time. It only does it at the exact same spot in that maneuver every time and it does it no matter what the throttle setting is. I put the plane in every extreme positive/ negative G maneuver I know how to do plus inverted flight, outside loops with snaps at the top..you name it and it doesn't miss a lick. I checked the clunk and there are no problems with the tank. The engine is on a CG Sukhoi and it has about 1 gal of gas through it, Xoar 19x8 prop, Pennzoil at 32:1.
I can't figure out why it only does it in that one place in that figure 8 and nowhere else.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Could be a pop off pressure thing and the g load is effecting the spring tension. DA had a problem with some of their 85's doing something like that and the fix was to stretch the spring by 1mm. Not saying this is the problem, but it does sound very familiar. Maybe Jody or T.O.M. will see your post and respond.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try raising the fuel tank 3/8 inch higher. Capt,n
Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
WCB

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Try raising the fuel tank 3/8 inch higher. Capt,n
No can do due to the canopy.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 PM
robtv

Question Waiting on my new DLE 3O is a 18/8 prop the best to break in should i use synthetic oil ? Any oil brand better than other ?
Any advice welcome first gas engine.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Jody recommends and uses Stihl UltraHP from new. I'm using it too, @ 40:1.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Night Scream

Question is there tuned canister style muffler for the DLE30?

Well i'll be buying my 2nd DLE30 soon so break in time again.

In mine i used the penzoil air cooled 2 stroke oil at 30:1 then 32:1. The later i used the Bel Ray H1R synthetic oil on the Dle and the other gas engines.

The Bel Ray is very expensive, the penzoil is good and the Stihl UltraHP is better than the penzoil one but rare to find where i live.

But those are the best 3 in my opinion
Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I bought sthil ultra ..I understand pezoil is good and though I know nothing about it another name dropped is a product called royal purple.I do know that most experts will tell you to stay away from amsoil!I enjoy working with valleyview and they are big fans of sthil..this also my first gasser but certainly not my last.I am getting advice to use 89 octane as it has a little less etnanol.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Night Scream

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

I bought sthil ultra ..I understand pezoil is good and though I know nothing about it another name dropped is a product called royal purple.I do know that most experts will tell you to stay away from amsoil!I enjoy working with valleyview and they are big fans of sthil..this also my first gasser but certainly not my last.I am getting advice to use 89 octane as it has a little less etnanol.
Then stihl is the way to go for you

I use 91 octane on my gas engines. since the gasoline where i live contains no ethanol..
Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

Istrongly recommend steering clear of the Royal Purple also, it's only certified by the NMMA for water cooled engines, no certification from API or JASO for use in air cooled engines. If you do some digging you can find reports of the stuff causing catastrophic failures in hard working air cooled engines.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: WCB

Let me run this by you guys and see what you think. My DLE30 V2 runs great at all attitudes, however, when I do a vertical figure 8 and come out on the last part (bottom) of the 8 from being inverted back to level the engine sputters and almost dies every time. It only does it at the exact same spot in that maneuver every time and it does it no matter what the throttle setting is. I put the plane in every extreme positive/ negative G maneuver I know how to do plus inverted flight, outside loops with snaps at the top..you name it and it doesn't miss a lick. I checked the clunk and there are no problems with the tank. The engine is on a CG Sukhoi and it has about 1 gal of gas through it, Xoar 19x8 prop, Pennzoil at 32:1.
I can't figure out why it only does it in that one place in that figure 8 and nowhere else.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill
My guess is that there is a change in pressure inside the cowl that is affecting the carb's ambient pressure reference diaphragm, which is located under that little square plate with the hole in it. This can definitely make the engine run as you described.

The solution is to solder a nipple in the plate where the little hole is, and to run a piece of fuel tube back inside the fuse where the air pressure remains constant. I have done this a few times and it has worked every time.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9519870]Here[/link] is what it should look like.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 AM
WCB

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

ORIGINAL: WCB

Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill
My guess is that there is a change in pressure inside the cowl that is affecting the carb's ambient pressure reference diaphragm, which is located under that little square plate with the hole in it. This can definitely make the engine run as you described.

The solution is to solder a nipple in the plate where the little hole is, and to run a piece of fuel tube back inside the fuse where the air pressure remains constant. I have done this a few times and it has worked every time.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9519870]Here[/link] is what it should look like.
That is a very good possibility. I hadn't thought of that. I will try your solution and let you know what happens. Thanks.
Bill
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
greg palmer

Has anybody tried a dle 30 on a extreme flight 78" extra 300. If so how did it do?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Night Scream

Is there a canister style muffler for the DLE30?

And what difference would it make to the engine?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 PM
advanceandy
My Feedback: (116)

night scream how about this?
http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...825&pd=2266958
http://www.prcmodel.com/modeng/name/...od/product/442
http://www.ecrater.com/p/8746247/spe...30-gf26i-30-26
or if you want to pay more for the same try this
http://www.homenhobbyshop.com/index....81&product=316

it would give a small increase in power and a large decrease in noise
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Night Scream

ORIGINAL: advanceandy

night scream how about this?
http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...825&pd=2266958
http://www.prcmodel.com/modeng/name/...od/product/442
http://www.ecrater.com/p/8746247/spe...30-gf26i-30-26
or if you want to pay more for the same try this
http://www.homenhobbyshop.com/index....81&product=316

it would give a small increase in power and a large decrease in noise
yup that's it
wow definedly quite variety of prices
Thank you for the links
Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
cmoulder

That is a very good possibility. I hadn't thought of that. I will try your solution and let you know what happens. Thanks.
Bill
I hope it works for you.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

greg...the extremeflight 78 with a dle30 is awesome.and take a look at 3dhplanes.In particular the slick70 or now the 72 inch extra.super light quality second to none.the dle30 was made for these birds..take a look at the videos..

on the subject of oil I bought the stihl ultra and wondered about the octane rating and I filled up on 89but 91 is even better.my understanding is the higher octane gas has less ethanol. Is there any gas besides the coleman fuel that doesnt have that dreaded ethanol..?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
cmptrguy
My Feedback: (19)

As T.O.M. said several times in past posts, ethanol is not a problem as Walbro and others have taken steps to prevent any damage to their parts years ago. That said, I still use 89 octane that has no ethanol in it. Available at slight increase in cost here.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM
jedijody

Not just T.O.M. but anyone that knows the truth about gas, ethanol, and carburetors has been saying for years it is of NO concern and if it's pump gas it all has the same ethanol content no matter what the octane rating. What is of consequence would be putting white gas (Coleman camp fuel) in your engine, no more warranty for you! Yes, I can tell.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:08 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Jody, was wondering if you would mind a little further explanation for the Coleman fuel? Have been following threads for a while & have seen just a few postings concerning this fuel (mostly "cons"). When I've attempted to follow up, haven't gotten any response. Did purchase a gallon some time ago, but it remains unopened in my garage - more recent thoughts were to slowly mix it with "pump" gas & eventually utilize the metal container??..... but I've also read where it's aparently "taboo" to use metal cans for fuel??? Many Thanx T-man49 Mike Brennan
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
jedijody

Forgive the cut and paste but I wrote this the last time this question was brought up and didn't want to have to type it all out the next time.

First of all, our weed whackers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, scooters,motorcycles,and yes, even our model airplane gas engines have been running on E10 fuels for years with NO adverse effects whatsoever, period. At first, we're talking overtwo decades ago, the alcohol did pose some minor issues, incompatiblematerials used back then have been changed a long time ago and it's not been an issue for many years.

Secondly, I do not knowof any kind of trend of informed people going to Coleman fuel for their2-stroke engines. I'm on the engine forums of several sites every day, once in a while someone will bring the question of camp fuel upbut I haven't seen itfor quite some time now. There are several reasons NOT to useColeman fuel inan internal combustion engine and I cannot think of one reason to use it, and no, alcoholand odorare not goodreasons to use it over gasoline.

Reasons NOT to use Coleman fuel in an internal combustion engine:

No manufacturer of any IC engine endorses it's use
Coleman themselves warns against using it in IC engines,read the label
Octane rating of Coleman fuel can be anywhere from about 56 to around 72, very low and inconsistent
Low octane fuel is very volatile, increases the likelihood of detonation, and burns much hotter than gasoline
It will always void the warranty of any modern model aircraft engine, yes we can tell, no I won't tell how
The low odor can prevent the detection of a dangerous concentration of vapors if there was a spill
Because of it's volatility,it takes a much lower concentration of vapor to pose a risk of an explosive ignition

Reasons to use Coleman fuel in an internal combustion engine:

My friend said he heard it was okay
It was on the internet

Can't think of any more good reasons

I really don't care what people want to run their engines but I really don't understand howthis evergot started in the first place. Maybe the fact that it's acceptable to use unleaded gasoline in a Coleman camp stove or lantern lead someone to pourwhite gas in their vehicle when they ran out of fuel on their way home from camping. I don't know but it doesn't work both ways in this case.
I'm sure you cantell I have a strong opinion on the subject, please forgive my frankness.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM
SuperCub Man

Thanks Jody - ...and stay FRANK!!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not like to use Coleman fuel in my camp stove. I bought a kit to convert it to the little tanks like you use on a propane torch. The camp fuel would leave a black coating on the bottom of the pans used for cooking. I have used it in my Model hit & miss engine....but same thing there, it is not a clean burning fuel like you woud think. Very flamible too....I had a lot of experience over the years with camp fuel! Capt,n

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.