Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE30!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You said it was doing the same with 2 different carbs?
The top of the metering valve lever - is it flush with the surrounding surface? If it's low, or there's not enough spring tension, it would cut off the fuel flow.

You should be able to "rock" or "bump" the the prop up against the compression stroke and see movement of fuel in the fuel line.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:01 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My vote is for the internal passages being plugged. Even if you had no pulse for the pump, when choked the engine will pull fuel through the carb if everything is working OK. It won't continue to run if it pops, but it will pull fuel when choked. What happens when you crank the engine with the choke on and a finger firmly closing the air intake. Does it draw fuel then?

You may have to remove the welch plugs in the carb housing to get at the metering passages and check valve parts. That carb probably uses a capillary screen type of check valve and they can get plugged with crud. Before doing that, you might just try removing the needles and blowing parts cleaner through the passages looking for liquid flow through each drilled passage and especially through the nozzle into the venturi. I prefer brake clean over carb cleaner for this as it is less damaging to a rubber check valve should you have one. Follow with compressed air. You should know in short order if you have any plugging. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

microdon2

It used to run great.

When ever I see these words followed by I rebuilt it and it does not work, my first idea is to go through the rebuild from start to finish and make sure there are no mistakes.

Even the most experienced person can make a small mistake that causes a problem like you are having.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by kmeyers
microdon2

It used to run great.

When ever I see these words followed by I rebuilt it and it does not work, my first idea is to go through the rebuild from start to finish and make sure there are no mistakes.

Even the most experienced person can make a small mistake that causes a problem like you are having.
kmeyers, I couldn't agree more and I say that with no disrespect to microdon2 or anyone else. For example, I think I have a pretty good grasp of our little carbs from working on them since being a teenager quite a few decades ago, but every once in awhile, I screw up something really dumb during reassembly. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it is sure makes me look like a real dummy at the field. It usually happens when I get in a hurry and overconfident when working on an otherwise simple problem. Oh well ....
Old 08-20-2015, 08:57 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeStak
I am thinking about replacing my DLE 20ra with the DLE 30 in my Hangar 9 Showtime 90 to get better vertical. The only issue is that the thrust washer will be .37 inches more forward with the DLE 30 than where it is with the DLE 20ra. I cant move the cowl forward since it will make it a mess and they dont sell them anymore. Does anyone know if they make shorter standoffs for the DLE 30?
I get my stand offs from McMaster Carr. The size I use is 3/8" aluminum hex with female threads in both ends. I have also used 5/16" hex with no performance difference plus these are lighter. Either size is lighter than the typical stand off we see included with gas engines. Very inexpensive too. FWIW
Old 08-20-2015, 09:27 AM
ahicks

Originally Posted by kmeyers
microdon2

It used to run great.

So it occurs to me after reading this, that if the assembly order of the gasket and diaphragm are reversed, that pump doesn't work worth a darn.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 PM
darkith

Originally Posted by ahicks
So it occurs to me after reading this, that if the assembly order of the gasket and diaphragm are reversed, that pump doesn't work worth a darn.
I had a DLE-20RA come new from the factory with the metering diaphragm and gasket installed upside down...wouldn't draw fuel when I tried to start it up, even if the tank was pressurized. Flipped the diaphragm and it started on the first spin from the starter. :P

D.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I did have the gasket and diaphragm reversed, though fixing that didn't make a difference in the "manual pump" test (and that was after re-assembling it a few times, so it was probably correct to begin with). I then got carb cleaner and sprayed every open hole (after dis-assembling, including removing the welch plug (a first for me). Just put the engine back into the plane and - after five pumps - VOILA!! FUEL up to the carb! Too late to start it tonight, so am bringing with me to the field in the morning. Will let you know. (I'm going to have to re-tune, I'm sure.)
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM
microdon2

The DLE 30 (mounted on a 73" CG Sukhoi) ran great this morning. I just had to open the L and HS needles a bit, but it spun the APC 18x10 beautifully. Maybe it was the carb cleaner ...

What's interesting to me is that hand-turning the crank shaft (with no prop bolted on and the engine and gas tank not mounted in the plan) did not pull fuel, but, as soon as I tried it while mounted on the plane, with a prop, it did (in 5 prop flips). Is it that the latter setup produces more torque \ pulse \ suction somehow?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

More rotational speed is what helped pull fuel. I've had good luck with my DLE 30. It really came alive when I installed a Bowman ring. Mine is mounted on a H-9 Taylorcraft and I use a Master Airscrew wood 20x6. Plenty fast for realistic acrobatics, good vertical, and aerobrakes the plane at idle.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:40 PM
microdon2

Since I've been using Synthetic oil I'm thinking of moving from 32-1 to 40-1, for better engine running and performance. I know the DLE's are recommended for 32-1, but I'm thinking that's more for natural oil \ break-in. Any comments? I'm also switching from Echo to Redline.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:14 PM
ahicks

I might consider the 40:1 move on the 30, but the 20, my feelings are that might not be a good plan.

First, there is no performance to be gained by the move.

Second, maybe not as much an issue anymore, but the 20's were taking out their bottom ends pretty regularly when they first came out. With the first reason in mind, and the potential for that bottom end letting go, my engines will stay on 32:1, dino or synthetic.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Truckracer

I agree with ahicks, there is little or no performance difference between 32:1 and 40:1. You may save a few pennies on oil by using less but performance isn't a valid reason to change.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:27 PM
microdon2

Ahicks - thanks. When you say "the bottom end" of the 20's, do you mean the needle bearing pin in the crank shaft? One of mine let go a few years ago. It does sound like the 20 is doing a much higher RPM than the 30 / 35. Is that why you're sticking with 32-1?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 PM
microdon2

btw - I've heard a few guys talk about a better \ smoother running engine from switching oil's, and pretty sure some of them were on 40-1. Would the oil quality make a difference, but not the ratio?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Truckracer

I've tried several of the trendy oils over the last few years ... from straight petroleum based through the synthetics and I can't say that any of them ran much different from the others as far as performance, reliability and smoothness were concerned.

Early this season I switched to Red Line Racing synthetic but mostly because it is far cheaper and more readily available than the previous oil I was using. Strictly a matter of convenience and economics. So far I have been very pleased with this change and I run it at 32:1 in every air cooled 2 stroke I own from airplane engines to lawn equipment. Just a personal preference and Yes I ran 50:1 and 40:1 for a season or more each in years past.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 PM
ahicks

Yes, 20cc crank pin/lower rod bearing need that extra oil IMHO.

Leaner oil mixture running smoother (32:1 vs. 40:1)? That's a stretch in my experience. If you want to run the leaner mixtures (even 50:1) in the 30, go for it. I don't see the advantage, and having multiple mixtures laying around (for all my gassers) is something I'm too lazy to deal with.

I use quality oil that's reasonably priced that I don't have to go too far out of my way to get.Used to be pro this oil or that oil, now I just don't care. If it's good oil, you'll be fine. Dino, synthetic, or blend, whatever..... Pay attention when you're mixing it up, and the engine will last.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 PM
shorte

I just bought a new dle 30 from tower and now the hole where the pin is on the crank case goes completely through the case. Now you can run a choke line through it to pull choke on and off. Wish they did this on the earlier ones.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:42 PM
3DMON
My Feedback: (39)

Originally Posted by shorte
I just bought a new dle 30 from tower and now the hole where the pin is on the crank case goes completely through the case. Now you can run a choke line through it to pull choke on and off. Wish they did this on the earlier ones.
That's good to know. I wish they would do this on all there engines.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Truckracer

The early ones were that way also, they just had a steel roll pin in the hole. Remove or drill the steel pin and run a choke wire through the hole. I have two of the early rear intake engines bought in late 2010 and both are fitted for a choke linkage in this manner.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to rotate the carb 180 degrees due to cable runs. Will this effect the engine running in any way ?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:14 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cymaz
I need to rotate the carb 180 degrees due to cable runs. Will this effect the engine running in any way ?
No, it will not.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Super08

What he said, no effect....
Old 10-30-2018, 08:27 AM
kgeb

Default Dle30 carb rotation

Yes it will effect the way engine runs slightly. If you ever notice the diff in mixture when you run your plane upright vs inverted. The diff is from the carb diaphragm location.
Rotation of the carb will do the same. It is slight, may require a retune.
But yes it will work.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:02 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kgeb
Yes it will effect the way engine runs slightly. If you ever notice the diff in mixture when you run your plane upright vs inverted. The diff is from the carb diaphragm location.
Rotation of the carb will do the same. It is slight, may require a retune.
But yes it will work.
Semantics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.