Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE30!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:54 PM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE30!

I didnt post with pictures. I dont know why those boxes showed up.

Glenn
Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: willig10

I know it's not relevant but I wanted to brag a little bit about my Turnigy FPL 52cc. It is going into my Morrisey Bravo that I am building. I have run approximately 1/2 gallon through it and have run it in 30 minute intervals. After a good cooling off period 4 hours or more I am taching at idle a reliable 1580 to 1620 RPM. I am also getting close to 7000 RPM on the big end. I have not adjusted for best performance on the high end yet, and at times see 7000rpm+ for about a 3 to 4 second speed burst. I am swinging a Zinger 20x8 propellor for break in.

It is a side mounted carb and seems to have good power and runs extremely well with little vibration. I reset the timing to 32 degrees BTDC and balanced the prop and what a difference it made.

Anyway back to the DLE thread. Sorry if I butt hurt anyone by this commercial (LOL).

Glenn
My DLE 55 first run ever would idle below 2000 and spin a 22-8 Xoar at 7200 easily. DLE makes some good engines. I am pretty sure Turnigy did not make their own engine but stamped their name on some other manufacturer's motor - not an uncommon practice. The important thing is that you are satisfied with your choice and I with mine.
Sam
PS my dle 30 has run wonderfully, but I still will want a rear carb conversion if the price is cheap enough.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DLE30 has a very touchy carb, all of the running qualityproblems with theengine are ground based and do not manifest themselves in flight. The main issues for the factory are market driven, the vast majority of people that buy this size engine are new or inexperienced users of gas engines. Sensitive carb needlesand engines that die when you pick them up from a table or on roll out don't stay popular for very long with any market. The side carb reed induction systemcan and has been used with great success when done properly, DLE didn't do their homework very well on this one. The factory has alsobeen inundated with requests for a rear carbed version and I'm told from many that have never purchased or flown the engine, they just want it that way and would purchase it if it were available. All this has been going on for several months, DLE was trying to make a rear carb version as early as November 09' but it didn't have the running quality or dimensionsthey wanted.

For DLE, I believe, the Cyberplate was the straw that broke the camels back. Although it is not what they wanted dimensionally, it had the running qualities that were desired and was wildly popular. I don't believe they wanted to hurt Cyberwolf in any way, they just want to have control over their own product and I don't blame them. I don't think copying other peoples intellectual property is right but theirs is a different culture and they also have different laws, I didn't say "right' just "different". I believe their intent was prevent the possibility oflarge scale production of parts for their engines and at the same time give their customers what they wanted for a price that wouldinsure they would be the only source.

The side carbed DLE30 is in fact now obsolete as far as new engines from DLE goes but there areplenty of them out there, anybody wanting one will have no problem getting one. The severity of theproblems with that version ARE exaggerated in the forums, the vast majority of current DLE30 owners enjoy them with little thought about theengines idiosyncrasies as they are easily worked around or for many just don't exist. The only mods I will performto the engine is the installation of the rear carb kit from the factory or the Cyberplate. The only modification to the original version of the enginethatalleviated the dreaded dying when tilted issue is the intake plenum stuffer that I and a few others have made. There are very good pictures of them in this thread, no, I will not make them.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Mako17

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Whats the diff between making a backplate or a muffler to inhance an engine, I don't see DLE trying to put Bisson out of business by making parts and selling them for nothing.
NOV-09 thats the same time frame I made the proto type backplate.
And I will say this again when a person buys an engine it's there and they can do good and well what ever they feel like doing to it without the factorys permission, this isn't a LEASE PROGRAM. But they do so at there own risk, because of the warranty issues.
So in short DLE can't keep control over any of there engines they make or sell if a person wants to make some mods on it.
DLE could see some exrta revenue and a fix they didn't have to pay a dime for as far as I am concerned.
If person did there own change over the warranty was out the window anyway and from the sounds of things it still will be. Unless its done at a authorized dealership and I'm not sure about that even.
All I did was do something that should have been done from the start, had not the cyberplate ever came along DLE wouldn't have done a thing to change there 30 engine in anyway shape or form I would almost bet money on it. They denied the issue for how long, then come up with some off the wall ideas on how to fix it, adding more cylinder gaskets and drilling holes in the carb is a cop out in anyone's language.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Could somebody please post a link to the page that shows, and speaks, of this "intake plenum stuffer" that Jody mentions above?

I'm on a very slow dialup connection, and it would take me weeks searching thru this thread to find it.

I'm saddened to hear that the side mounted engine will not be made anymore. As I have two applications that need this particular design.

Mark
Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
donnspadbauer
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jody, I not only enjoy your company and business ethics but your writing style as well. Well said. My 30 carb issue was it dying at idle after vertical to horizontal transition BUT after examination my low needle was 1 ½ entire turns to rich!!!! Adjusted the low needle and she runs like a top, flew for 2 hours yesterday and not one issue, ass loads of power and great transition. I have her in the YAK I bought from you and I can't recommend the combination enough. Great proformance and zero issues (once adjusted) Thank you for your time and energy on this forum, it means a lot to have an authorized distributor and warranty center answering questions and being honest with the buyers.

Sniff...... sniff... love you man.........
Old 04-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Here is one that I made that I don't think was ever tried or used . Some was using bondo or an aluminum liquid metal in a tube to form there own inside of the original plenum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84683.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	1418884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46275.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	1418885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65715.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1418886  
Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 AM
stangman67

I sympathize with you cyberwolf, you did great work and fixed a petty problem with an otherwise good engine. But this is the nature of the beast, peoples designs get stolen all the time and unless you patented the design (even if you did it wouldn't matter because of country lines there is nothing you can do about it). DLE has to do what they have to do to keep their customers happy, its unfortunate that they waited so long. I think they would have came up with something eventually, probably longer than this but a backplate is a backplate and their fix would have looked like yours whether they copied yours or not. I am certainly not trying to be a jackass or sound rude, unfortunately this is just the nature of the business beast. I appreciate your hard work and wish I could afford to spend the extra money to support you but times are rough and I need to save the money.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: 3D Romeo

Could somebody please post a link to the page that shows, and speaks, of this "intake plenum stuffer" that Jody mentions above?

I'm on a very slow dialup connection, and it would take me weeks searching thru this thread to find it.

I'm saddened to hear that the side mounted engine will not be made anymore. As I have two applications that need this particular design.

Mark
Got to page 50, post 1234 for a synopsis of the problem including an easy to understand analogy. Page 51, post 1265 has pictures of the first plenum stuffer I made in early October, it works flawlessly. The aluminum one that Cyberwolf pictured was tested as well as another one he made, neither oneprevented the engine from dying when tiltedand the one picturedcut back the full throttle RPM a few hundred, his Cyberplate though is a masterpiece. Idid not invent plenum stuffers but with the counsel of a very dear friend (you know who you are) I did make the first ones for the DLE30 that worked. A few others have made them since then and somehave had very good results.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 AM
wohenzhuce

ORIGINAL: zachfeen

I sympathize with you cyberwolf, you did great work and fixed a petty problem with an otherwise good engine. But this is the nature of the beast, peoples designs get stolen all the time and unless you patented the design (even if you did it wouldn't matter because of country lines there is nothing you can do about it). DLE has to do what they have to do to keep their customers happy, its unfortunate that they waited so long. I think they would have came up with something eventually, probably longer than this but a backplate is a backplate and their fix would have looked like yours whether they copied yours or not. I am certainly not trying to be a jackass or sound rude, unfortunately this is just the nature of the business beast. I appreciate your hard work and wish I could afford to spend the extra money to support you but times are rough and I need to save the money.
Well.....He just ganna say it anyway
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Thanks for the page references for the Intake Plenum Stuffer Jodi.

Were those photos you posted of your stuffer (where you later say that it was made out of body filler) your final product, or was that just a prototype? If that was your final product, and the one used for your testing, would that material be good for the life of the engine, or would you recommend other materials be used for long term use? I've read several posts where people mention a titanium Devcon product?

Whether I attempt to make one, or not, I sure appreciate you sharing your design concept.

Mark
Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM
jedijody

Every stuffer I made was a prototype, one off, assembly used for testing. At the time, I was doing it to educate the factory on what the problem was in hopes that they would do something with it, they didn't. I looked into injection molding the pieces butthe toolingis very expensive, I knew if I pursued it on my own the factory would likely cut me off at the knees and Iwould be out a lot of money and possibly my distributorship.

I made them out of body filler then coated them with epoxy resin, they were run for several hours and showed no ill effects but I don't think body filler is the best material for a life time part, nor do I think JB Weld is a good choice. A temperature stable hard plastic would be the least expensive but difficult to work withwithout specialized equipment.For a pour-able/mold-able media,reinforced metallic resin would be what I would look into if I wanted it to last forever butthe stuff isn't cheap and can't be found at your local hardware or auto parts store.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM
trpastor

Hey Guys

Is there any problem with using my pressure plate as a guide to drill the holes in my prop? I was going to get a (10mm?) bolt and nut and sandwich the plate between the prop and the bolt to drill it out.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM
jedijody

If you have a drill press, use the plate to just dimple the holes then remove it and drill the prop. If you are using a hand drill, you really should use a guide for best results
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM
trpastor

I should have mentioned that. I am using a drill press

thank you for your help!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
trpastor

Hey guys... recommendations on best prop for 3d with this engine? On a 10.5lb 73" plane?
18*6 or 19?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM
MR G

For 3D: 18
For IMAC: 19

Just my opinion

MR G
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
trpastor

Any tuning advice on this engine? It's going pretty wel, but it's hesitating if i let it idle and than punch it to mid throttle. I'm thinking low end too rich but is there a good article on tuing gas engines?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
MR G

Keep turning the low needle in very slowly until it won't transisition, then turn it out two blade widths. That should put the low needle where it needs to be.

Keep in mind that adjusting the low speed needle will affect the high speed needle setting(or do I have that backwards?).

The things that affect needle settings are: temperature, humidity and barometeric pressure. Don't believe that you are going to get your needles adjusted and never have to readjust them. Once they are set at the proper settings, it should not take alot of change to accomodate for the temp, humidity and BP.

MR G
Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Any tuning advice on this engine? It's going pretty wel, but it's hesitating if i let it idle and than punch it to mid throttle. I'm thinking low end too rich but is there a good article on tuing gas engines?

Thanks!
Hi Tim,

Here is an excellent article on tuning http://www.modelaviation.com.au/manu...break%20in.pdf
Old 04-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks buddy
Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 PM
skillet92

NICE!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
terryscustom

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Hey guys... recommendations on best prop for 3d with this engine? On a 10.5lb 73'' plane?
18*6 or 19?

I'm running an 18x6 CF prop on a 11+lb Aero-Works Yak and it is a rocket ship Just have to watch the throttle on level flight and downlines not to get the RPM's up too high. Does not seem to be as sensative with the low needle with this prop either.

Not that this is ideal for long engine life, but it works for me.....
Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM
trpastor

Cool, thanks guys... I'll ready up. I'm ok at it but not great, so it looks like this will help out a lot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.