Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Ignition systems on gasoline engines.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition systems on gasoline engines.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
lechuza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition systems on gasoline engines.

Hello, I would like to know more detailed about the subject regarding the interference that a ignition system could cause on the receivers, servos, and either the receiver and ignition batteries.I have heard many things that makes me confused about this.What abouth your experience, withe either 2.4 radios and sysnthesised radios.Does it have to be with the type and/or brand of the ignition system?What about the location of the components, etc.

Thanks, Isaias
Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 PM
kenhiraihnl

Default RE: Ignition systems on gasoline engines.

hi isaias...here's one detail on the subject...my engine was rough on the low-end, going in and out of 4-cycling...kinda sounded like a harley's 'potato-potato' sound...i noticed that the rudder was dancing to the exact beat of the engine! that was a dead giveaway that ignition noise was interfering with my radio...i separated all ignition wires from radio wires (i even had a cross-over), and the interference went away...ken
Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Add to that the fellers flying their plane on one battery. Ignition and flight controls. Going to give it a try myself tomorrow. Range checks are good so here goes.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: altavillan

Add to that the fellers flying their plane on one battery. Ignition and flight controls. Going to give it a try myself tomorrow. Range checks are good so here goes.
I did inadvertently with A123s, I had no problems, but batteries are cheap, and so am I so, I use separate batteries.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
tkg

Gas airplanes can be flown with AM radios. Been there done that. FM is much better than AM for RFI protection. PCM is even better. 2.4 is way gooder.
BUT IT AIN"T BULLETTE PROOF, it can be made to suffer with a poorly installed ignition setup
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i sure would use a pcm RX if on fm. i have fm -pcm on my planes, but have two gassers and only use pcm on those. it pays to be safe. and have had no problem with either...........RON
Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
cap10b

Gas Ignitions = Bad RF
Bad RF = Crash planes
Crash Plane bad for Obama-nomics
Economic down turn gets bigger lasts longer
Mankind cant survive in 09
the end of the world

better stick to glow save the planet

jds
Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey villan let us know how it works out.

On another note, I've learned some things about servo glitch. It doesn't have to come in through the receiver; it can come in through the signal wire for the servo. Also some servos are far more sensitive to noise coming in through the lead than others. By this I mean looking at different brands and different types as in analog verses digital. I don't want to get into a flame war so I won't comment on the brands issue but the digitals outperform the analogs, as far as noise rejection goes, in my personal experience. For the record I don't own any cheap off brand servos. Everything is Futaba, Hitec, JR and Airtronics.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 PM
altavillan

4 flights flawless. If you think about it, should an ignition go bad enough to send a stray spark out the back side of the coil the ignition would be dead already. So it comes down to draw on the battery. Strong enough battery system like a123 is a must.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should not be a problem if the ignition battery does not power the on-board radio system. The engine will quite eventually, even with A123s?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my HO still not a good idea.May work for awhile but sooner or later it will bite you,its in the cards. 2.4 is not bullet prof as far as RFI .I built on purpose a very noisey Ignition system,much like some that are being sold today.It would eat up both the Futaba fasst and spectrum.As mentioned in a previous post , I think the noise is getting into the Servo amps and spreading through out the system ,Like the Swine Flu. I think the reason we are having RF complaints on 2.4 Is that many fliers are using the Chinese ignitions. Nothing wrong with the Chinese ignitions but they are not getting the spark plug cap locked down on the spark plug ,thus having a open spark. Most of the Chinese ignitions come with a metal shielded spark plug cap for the 5/8 hex taper seat spark plug. NGK-BPMR6A or Champion RDJ6J. Fliers are trying to use this on the 3/4 hex plug or using the 5/8 hex on the 10 MM plug NGK CM6or Champion Y-82.The Champion spark plugs all around have a larger and wider hex then other spark plugs. Many of the Chinese ignition caps just do not work well on the Champion spark plugs. The cap MUST go down all the way over the hex the snap ring should lock below the the hex .Some are just no being pushed down hard enough.Getting them off is a different story . You do no have to use vise grips pry bars or dynamite. You can help a little by spreading the wire snap ring a little releaving some of the tension.You can insert a small 1/8 wide screw driver in between the shells and turn to pry open the cap .Do not go in far enough to tear the boot.Boot is silicone and tears eaisey. You can champher the points of the hex with a file or Dremel just a little.Remember the Ignition depends on the contact between the metal shell and spark plug for a ground.3/4 hex on a 5/8 spark plug = no ground .BAD BAD. To install push down hard and turn counter clockwise to install on the spark plug,to remove turn counter clockwise and pull up.Go back and read this again turn counter CW to push on and counter CW to pull off.I can explain this if you wish. You can turn either way on the 10MM-CM-6 spark plug.One flier said he jerked the ignition right out through cowl of his airplane when the cap came off. Bet they made him happy.2.4 Radios are very good I am switching over as fast as I can afford it.Will have a bunch of Futaba 8&9 PCM receivers for sale.
BCCHI
Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The above is precisely why I spend the extra money and always use a CH ignition. Too many variables with many other ignitions. My ignitions last for many years if they aren't crashed and the way I figure it, if I can always depend on my ignition in a hover or when low and slow a few extra dollars to assure that it keeps running is worth it. If they do get crashed they can be repaired, unlike many others.

You always have the choice between the cheapest and the best. I like my planes enough to always choose the best.

As for batteries, an engine starts to run pretty rough when the battery is dropping off to the point it can't handle the load anymore. Will the engine run rough before a receiver "browns out" using one battery to handle the ignition and the receiver? Who knows. Someone is sure to be able to tell us before long. A 1,000 to 2,000 ma 4.8v AA battery runs my ignitions longer than I care to fly in a day.

Some figure saving 4 ounces and $25.00 is an acceptable risk for the cost of their planes..... Anyone ever hear the term "spend a dollar to save a dime"? The arguement that one can't afford it doesn't work. If one couldn't afford it they wouldn't have the plane.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill and company at CH have been exceptional to deal with, 10 outa 10 in my book. I spend the few extra bones and get the CH and so far have never had a single problem. Absolutely top quality products.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most will never know how many hours can be dependably put on a CH ignitiion. They would not believe it if someone told them. One can fly for their entire life and not wear out a CH.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

T.O.M,

Does the reliability and longevity normally associated with the standard CH ignitions extend to their CHXL models.

Karol
Old 05-10-2009, 01:38 PM
tkg

ORIGINAL: karolh

T.O.M,

Does the reliability and longevity normally associated with the standard CH ignitions extend to their CHXL models.

Karol
Who knows
We have been selling CH units for 25 years, CHXL units for 3. so far the CHXLs are doing fine.
BTW. We get the CHXL units in and before selling one, we subject them to the same tests that we use on a CH unit . NO CHXL goes out with out the tough tests
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
quiltsfly

I just purchased my first gas airplane, I also got a DL 50 for it. Is there any literature out there on how to set up the motor and the electrical system, including the servos? Is it OK to put the chock on a servo? I have read some on the interference with the gas motor and the electrical system, it there information on that somewhere? Any help would be appreciated..
Quiltsfly