Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G38-Leave the mag or make it EI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:40 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G38-Leave the mag or make it EI?

I just picked up a used Zenoah G38 for my Dynaflite Decathlon. It has the original magneto and a bennett pitts muffler.Now my experience with gas engines is from my DA50, DLE55 and ZDZ60. I have never had experience with a magneto engine.I think that everyone has an opinion as to how hard they are to start with the mag. I know that RC ignitions can do an upfit to electronic ignition. Just wondered if this is worth the cost and if it is actually needed. BTW the engine no longer has the spring starter.If it is not SO hard to start with the mag.,I would just leave it this way. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Whistling Death

Default RE: G38-Leave the mag or make it EI?

It's usually just a personal preference thing but it can lose weight when taking the mag of as well.
I have a RCIgn G-38 and it is a ltlle lighter that way.
If you want to leave the mag on it you can just put a spring starter on it and it will be easier to start. The spring starter will make it a bit heavier as well.
It probably has mor eto do with what plan you are going to put it on.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two of those engines with a magneto - never had a chance to get my hads on one of Ralph's conversions but my experience with both was that if tuned well, they were no harder to start than a typical Chinese EI engine.
The Decathlon having a relatively short nose can do with a bit of weight upfront so I'd say use it as is for that plane.

If you can get one done by Ralph, it will be a great engine though!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The G38 is easy to start with the mag. Really easy, probaly the easiest starting mag engine out there. No spring starter or EI required.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the spring start off my G38 mag engine. It starts just as good or better than most engines. Part of starting a engine is having the carb set right & the right idle speed. I will sell my spring start....for 25 frog-skins! Capt,n
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think a lot of how easy it'll be to start has to do with what position the prop is mounted relative to the magnets. I like the idea of that engine in a Decathlon. I would likely go spring starter though.... spoiled and not bothered by the extra weight. Not on that plane anyway.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I have several mag engines, and the best hand starting of the bunch is my G38. I also have several EI engines, and these are easy hand starting if the engine is set up and primed right. Preparation is the key. BTW, I had my G38 on a Dynaflite Decath, it's a good combination.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM
flygilmore

Leave it alone and use the mag. ignition. Simple, no batts. and the Decathalon will need the weight. As mentioned, the G38 is super, super easy to start by hand.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Well I will be mounting the G38 on my decathlon today.I had a Saito 180 on it and as I have been switching everything to gas, I sold the Saito. I waited quite a while for the G-38 and now that I have it,the weight really concerned me.But everyone here says that it is such a good combo, I'm going to try it. I'm not going to pull the mag off, I will try it as it is. What prop will be best for this combo? I have a evolution 18x6 yhay I can use or if there is a better prop, I will try it. Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

Well I will be mounting the G38 on my decathlon today.I had a Saito 180 on it and as I have been switching everything to gas, I sold the Saito. I waited quite a while for the G-38 and now that I have it,the weight really concerned me.But everyone here says that it is such a good combo, I'm going to try it. I'm not going to pull the mag off, I will try it as it is. What prop will be best for this combo? I have a evolution 18x6 yhay I can use or if there is a better prop, I will try it. Thanks
Try both 18X6 and 18X8, see which you like best. 18" is about max diameter with the stock landing gear, but enough to fly the plane well. I placed the servos in the optional "aft of the cabin" position. This is good for balance (I still added a little tail weight after flying it a bit), and it gives you lots of cabin space if you want to detail the interior. Also, I went with an aftermarket fiberglass cowl, as the kit supplied ABS cowl is just a hair too thick to enclose the engine well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db86339.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	1522048   Click image for larger version

Name:	ax73113.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	601.7 KB
ID:	1522049