Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ Super 80

Old 08-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ Super 80

I finally got to run my ZDZ Super 80 that I bought on sale from TBM when they took over the ZDZ line for North America. I have to say I am extremely empressed with it. I am having none of the hard starting issues I have read about on the forums. Mine does come with the Walbro WJ-71 that it is now suppied with though. Even for the first start with a dry carb I had it running in less than a minute. I ran it on the ground for maybe 5 minutes total while I did some tweeking of the needles. I don't believe in running gas engines rich. That is what the higher content of oil for break in is for. (another topic) Anyway with no time on the engine it was turning around 5960 to 6k with a Xoar laminated 26x10. After flying for a while and burning just over a gallon of fuel the rpm was up to 6240 hot and was ripping the prop in the air. The midrange was starting to get a bit rich so I made a slight adjustment after I got home and will see how it is the next time out. I need to find a way to access the needles without taking off the cowl. I may use straws or something but it will be tough to drill the holes properly to line everything up. I am using a JMB wrap around pitts and the sound is something to be heard. From the first start of the day everyone made comments on how nice it sounded. I am not getting near the amount of black crud out the exhaust from breaking it in as I did with my Chinese built engines. I presume this is from better tolerances in the manufacturing. At this point I am thrilled with it and am looking forward to a long future flying with it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85117.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	1257383  
Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: ZDZ Super 80

Thank you for the report. Is your JMB muffler the one sold by Troy Built for $140? I bought mine about the same time you did but have not run it. I bought the 33% SD Extra 260 to go w/the Super 80. I plan to get it done this winter. It's unbearably hot in Texas this year.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: ZDZ Super 80

That is correct on the muffler. When I ordered the engine they didn't have any more engines or mufflers. The engine was in about 3 weeks before the muffler. Just wait untill you run it, the sound screams power with a deep throaty sound, yet is not offensive or loud.