edmoor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default filling a gasser

i am new to building a gasser......gonna use a g26 air in my taylorcraft......whats the setup providing access to filling the tank?....take the wing off everytime? going to have a hatch in the top....not sure if the tank will be reachable from there. do i run a fill hose???? not even sure what type of tank i will need.....plans do not specify.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
drbenz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: filling a gasser

You do it the same way you do a nitro plane except there is no line to the muffler, the second line is just a vent, and the rubber stopper in the fuel tank must be gas proof.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
edmoor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so your saying i must run the vent line outside of the cowl to fuel it up? once the cowl is on.....getting to the fuel line wont happen. i still dont understand? the vent line therefore must be plugged after refilling? sometimes im goofy
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The vent line must be open at all times

You have to get gas into it some way?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
spaceworm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gasoline engines have a pump in the carbureter so that the position/location of the tank is not important (it can be on the cg so the cg does not shift with use of the fuel). The tank needs to be vented so that the carb does not collapse it. The vent line should be looped so that a part of it is higher than the tank so that inverted flight does not cause fuel to drain out of the vent line. Standard gasoline safety procedures apply to all preflight and handling operations as gasoline IS more dangerous than alcohol based fuels.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
flatspinjim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can either run a tee in your line going to the carb, or run a 3 line system. If you run a tee one line goes to the carb and the other goes to a fuel dot. With a 3 line system you run one vent line, one line straight to the carb,with a clunk in the tank and one line from the tank to a fuel dot. The fill line must either have a seperate clunk, or run your brass tube to the bottom of the tank.
It's not much different than a glow set up but you don't use the vent line as a fill line.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
ed42d-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On the fuel supply line from the tank clunk to the carb, I've been using a tee connector. I usually put the tee a couple of inches before the carb inlet and use a fuel dot to the side of the cowl.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM
edmoor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[:@] seems to me......your confusing me?........why cant i run a fuel line with a clunk to the carb......put a "t" in.....to a fuel valve.....then i wont need a vent line? the fuel valve vents one way...right? i have this setup on a couple planes.....only i have a line going to muffler to pressure the tank.....which i wont need on a gas engine?........correct?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You still need a vent
Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
ed42d-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear in my description. I'll try again.

The fuel tank, at a minimum, has a vent line and fuel supply line to the carb. With the fuel supply line, I cut it in half somewhere between the fuel tank and the carb. Then I put in a tee connector and add a fill line to a fuel dot on the cowl. Hope that helps.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
edmoor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i understand the part about the tee......no problem there. the vent line confuses me. and what the h.... is a fuel dot? i cant find a fuel dot on tower.......only fuel valves. remember.......i have never done this on a pumped engine before. only glow. how can the vent line be at the bottom of the tank?......ya pump fuel in..its gonna pump out the vent unless its in airspace......if its in airspace inside the tank.....if ya go inverted.....you got a fuel leak......guess i will just buy a tank and all the stuff for it......and go on my own......i will find out im sure. thanks all for trying to help me understand......i just dont though?[:@]
Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
ed42d-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A fuel dot is just a plug to stop air leaks. Tower has them under "Fuel Fittings". Great Planes and Slimline has some.

Setup the vent in the tank like you do for glow. The tank doesn't need muffler pressure, it just needs air to replace the used up fuel. So the end of the vent line can go anywhere.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
edmoor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

now your the only one who made sense to me.....sometimes when ya ask a question......ya get too much info. THANK YOU ED.....FROM ED.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Walt and Sage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea Guys what were you thinking !!!!
NO good deed goes unpunished....
Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 AM
flatspinjim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our bad.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 AM
tkg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea this is a tough one.
BCCHI
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 AM
rednekk58

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use one of these. http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...p?ID=200304027 Also made for my glow engines too. Shuts the gas off to the carb while filling to prevent flooding. Another model is for glow only. Insert probe to filler and it stops flow to carb. Remove probe and it reconnects flow from tank to carb. No fuel dot or tee neccessary. Not saying it's any better, it's just what I use. Makes for a neat installation. My $.02 worth
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
nashtm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ed42d-RCU

On the fuel supply line from the tank clunk to the carb, I've been using a tee connector. I usually put the tee a couple of inches before the carb inlet and use a fuel dot to the side of the cowl.

If you use a tee and the filling tube is two or so inches long (to clear the cowl) do you not get a air bubble or something going to the carb?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Build a hinged hatch on the side of the plane. When you need to gas up open the hatch and unscrew the gas cap.....
Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 PM
edmoor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cant you just give the guy an honest answer..if you dont know it....then dont post your remarks....he didnt ask for a hatch....he asked for advice......[:@]
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Uncas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

edmoor,
Here is how I do it.
Fuel line: Basically as you described it with the fuel dot - I use the Dubro equivalent - but same difference.

Vent Line: This is the tricky part. Come out of the tank to a Tee.
One line goes from the Tee around the tank, then goes straight down and ends with a filter. The filter is just a fuel filter to keep dirt in the air from entering the fuel tank.

The second line goes from the Tee, straight down and ends with a fuel line stopper. When I fill my tank I remove the stopper and run the line into a pan or something to catch the fuel when I top off the tank. This line is only used for filling to let me know when the tank is full and to control spillage. I cannot see my tank when I fill. This line is a little long and I push it back into the motor mount box when I am done filling. A fuel dot could work here too.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM
rcairflr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is how I do my tank for gassers and most others I fly with. It's a 3 line system. Vent runs over the top of the tank and out the bottom of airplane. One fuel clunk goes to carb and a third line for fueling and defueling. When the tank is full the fuel will run out the bottom of airplane by way of the vent line. You can add filters where required. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74324.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1259972  
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you really believe I don't know how to plumb a tank, you're less intuitive than the guy asking the original question My earlier post was in jest, but evidently too dry for some.

Me thinks the OP has never plumbed any plane before, let alone a gasser. A basic 2 line Tee system using a fuel dot is about as simple as it gets. One fuel dot, one Tee, and a vent line. Add a couple of feet of fuel line (oops, gotta be specific, people may not have a clue that gas can't use silicone fuel line) aaah Tygon, neoprene, or Viton fuel line, and it's a done deal.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Walt and Sage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rcairflr

This is how I do my tank for gassers and most others I fly with. It's a 3 line system. Vent runs over the top of the tank and out the bottom of airplane. One fuel clunk goes to carb and a third line for fueling and defueling. When the tank is full the fuel will run out the bottom of airplane by way of the vent line. You can add filters where required. Hope this helps
This is the BEST set up..
With a "T" in the line to the motor, if you get any leaking of air (at the fuel dot) you will be doing dead sticks and wondering WHAT HAPPENED
Had to learn this the HARD WAY...
Walt
Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 PM
edmoor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

If you really believe I don't know how to plumb a tank, you're less intuitive than the guy asking the original question My earlier post was in jest, but evidently too dry for some.

Me thinks the OP has never plumbed any plane before, let alone a gasser. A basic 2 line Tee system using a fuel dot is about as simple as it gets. One fuel dot, one Tee, and a vent line. Add a couple of feet of fuel line (oops, gotta be specific, people may not have a clue that gas can't use silicone fuel line) aaah Tygon, neoprene, or Viton fuel line, and it's a done deal.
I WOULDNT ASK FOR HELP IF I KNEW HOW TO PLUMB A GASSER.....keep your quirky jests to yourself....i want to thank the folks who did help me.....not you. [:@] (end of my reading this post). i copied the drawing.....and thank you.

Search this Thread