Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

"Tuning" a Canister?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM
aegis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE:

Rich needles do a good job of washing a cylinder clean if running temps are in the normal range. Headers and pipes generating back pressure out of phase with the port/piston timing carbon up the piston skirt below the ring. It can get quite bad. Ask RTK to post a pic or two of some he had that experienced bad resonance.

You could also be experiencing hot running or using an oil that's breaking down, cooking out the anti wear additives and plating the piston skirt.
Thanks, T.O.M. Thoughts and questions.

Engine temp - It's a single cylinder mounted inverted, with some of the head hanging out of the cowl and some of the frontal cowl removed. My "guess" is that the temp is probably ok. With that said, maybe I'll pick up a sensor so that I know for sure.

Header and pipe generating back pressure out of phase with the port/piston timing - What can I do to verify whether or not this is happening?

Oil - I use Pennzoil Air Cooled at 40:1. From various things I've read, it appears to be good oil, which makes me lean towards one of the first two items being the problem. Even so, I have thought different times of trying Stihl HP Ultra.

Assuming I can resolve what's causing it, will the skirt clean up on its own eventually, or is the glaze attached until manually removed?

Dan