Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine problems

Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problems

Pat, Jodi, Bob or anyone with more experience than me could you give me some feedback on this. I think it may have some crud stuck in the fuel passage for the low speed circuit. Below is an email from a guy I sold a NIB Fuji 34ei to. It had never had gas in it before being shipped to him. I had bought it last Nov. Any ideas????

Hi Doug,
Well in a nut shell , here goes >
The engine will not start by hand with out squirting raw fuel down carb . With choke on , throttle open , full / or 1/2 or 1/4 or click above idle it will not start or fart by hand . Have been able to start with starter , but takes awhile .
Can get the top end good , and transition from fast idle to full throttle is good ; but it will not idle down without quitting . If you try to slow it down to a slow idle it will start to lean out for a second and quit . If you richen low speed to correct , then it is so rich it won't spool and of course " is 4 stroking " like crazy . You can try leaning the high speed to overcome > you help the 4 stroking but you don't get the top end and it ends up running hot . I know it sounds like I must be impatient and am turning the needles to much when I make the adjustment but I'm not . Tiny incrementalb adjustments . Once I got it so as to start by hand by richening low speed a turn and a half pass start point but of course no amount of leaning high speed would get it to run above fast idle . It did last to long as the plug fouled . But during that time it started as it should have .

The compression in cyl. is 150 lbs. which is super for a piston port engine . The pressure line has some blow and suction ( depending on piston travel direction of course ) But not near what it should be for 150 lbs in the jug .

The carb seems very large for a engine this size as well . I have checked the filter ,diaphram, and fuel pedals and all are good.

Doug , I've built 3 engines with weedeaters , have and use a US 41 and now a brision 2.4
( which runs like a swiss watch by the way !!!!!! ) and I have never had so much grief .
I think that I may have a tiny leak in crankcase ( low blow & suck on preasure line { no hole in tube , checked too} ) or that carb is just to big . That diaphram in that carb is huge . I've never seen one that big in a walbro before .
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine problems

Buy a replacement carb. Have him check the ignition, although it sounds like it's firing. From his description it could be anything, but since it's a "seller/warranty" thing (right?), I'd send a carb, no question.