Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution 26GX Owners Rate This Engine!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 26GX Owners Rate This Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Kema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evolution 26GX Owners Rate This Engine!!

They seem to sell it at least in Canada. Aspen 2t is same stuff as Jonsered 2t sold in Sweden.

http://www.uppi.ca/page/aspen.html
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be a miser Ed,
That is not going to happen without allowing industries a fair chance to come up with an alternative.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 AM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: Kema

They seem to sell it at least in Canada. Aspen 2t is same stuff as Jonsered 2t sold in Sweden.

http://www.uppi.ca/page/aspen.html
The sweden web page has quite a bit more information. see datasheet at
http://www.aspen.se/Files/PDF/Produc...d_ENG_webb.pdf
Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Don't be a miser Ed,
That is not going to happen without allowing industries a fair chance to come up with an alternative.

I don't think I understand what you mean, Pe'.

I would love to see two-stroke engines undergo further development and have them remain in use. I love that sound and I really miss the two-stroke motorcycles of yesteryear.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM
pe reivers

Then again, the EPA is doing their best to eliminate two-stroke engines anyway
"
That is your comment I responded to. I thought you saw too muchdarkness in the near future.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 AM
NM2K

Then again, the EPA is doing their best to eliminate two-stroke engines anyway
''
That is your comment I responded to. I thought you saw too much darkness in the near future.

Oh, well I guess I must being seeing darkness for two-stroke engines, at least here in the USA. I'm seeing darkness for two-strokes that utilize pre-mix fuel of conventional/common oil to gas ratios of today with the oils we in the USA have available commercially today. New lubrication chemistry could completely upset that paradigm and restore the two-stroke engine's viability. That's the way I hope it goes.

Do you have any words of hope and inspiration from your perspective as a professional that you can share with us?

Ed Cregger
Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM
pe reivers

Ed. I wish I had them!
The carb suggestions indeed are very restrictive, and for example "force" walbro to make low jet settings to be non-adjustable. However, some clever tampering will get us what we want. I will not see the day that two strokes will be banned, and nor will you!

ps
and + nor will not do
remove the and from the last centence.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

Well thanks everyone I have heard enough. I think I am getting one. You all have convinced me that the only real issue is the ignition, and that is likely cleared up now. One comment above about the choke bothers me though. Any other comments on the choke.

Also, what octane gas is everyone using. I can get unleaded 87 octane with no added methanol, but any thing higher around here all seems to have up to 10% added methanol. Is 87 too low octane to run this engine on I dont want to create excess heat an detonate.

Can you provide an update on your G26 please? I'm trying to decide if I am going to buy one myself and am reading all I can on the EVO 26GX's.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Carpilot

I love mine! I actually have 2 of them, I have the original 26GT which has a spark plug straight out the top and an ignition module that is 4.8v only.

I also have the 26GX, easy to start, and flawless idle, very good power compared to other 26's I use Amsoil air cooled synthetic at 60:1, The only problem I can recall is when the carb mounting screws came loose and it went dead stick.
I have used both NiMh packs and 2 cell lipo's on the GX ignition module with no trouble.

Another thing about the GX ignition is there are 2 different ignition programs built into it. 1 standard and 1 for use with a tuned pipe, you use a little jumper to switch between the two ignition profiles.

The original 26GT I have has MANY flights on it and is fully broke in, I think it has MANY more flights left in it. the GX is mechanically just as good with a better ignition module.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
pe reivers

Beware:
MVVS does not support lean oil mixtures, because they starve the front seal lubrication, especially when the engine runs too hot.
Amsoil should be mixed at 40:1 in MVVS or Evolution engines.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Carpilot

Beware:
MVVS does not support lean oil mixtures, because they starve the front seal lubrication, especially when the engine runs too hot.
Amsoil should be mixed at 40:1 in MVVS or Evolution engines.
I'll keep that in mind, I've got like 150 hours on one of them with that mix and no troubles of any kind.

If I wind up going to 40:1 I'll discontinue synthetic use and go back to ashless. All synthetics I have used at 40:1 are messy, I don't think the synthetics burn like the conventional 2 stroke oils do. And I know the Evolution manual says to use a synthetic at 40:1.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some synthetics do not contribute to combustion or power and at 40:1 may make the the engine characteristics appear "lean" compared with mineral oil or compared with 60:1 for example.The needles will have to be re-adjusted
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Carpilot

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Some synthetics do not contribute to combustion or power and at 40:1 may make the the engine characteristics appear ''lean'' compared with mineral oil or compared with 60:1 for example.The needles will have to be re-adjusted
My needles are all adjusted for proper operation regularly.

At at 40:1 both the amsoil and mobil1 synthetic 2 stroke oils leave black gunk with all my gas engines , the black gunk is gone at 60:1, maybe not on one that is not fully broke in yet. With the ashless oils at 40:1 or even 32:1 and the needles adjusted for that fuel I get no black gunk.

The very reason that many people I know use conventional 2 stroke oils, no black gunk, which in my opinion, is worse than glow fuel gunk.

So here I am, the evolution manual says 40:1 synthetic, well No thank you. My engines are long past the warranty period so I'll take my chances. Even if it were to develop problems my next time out and I have to rebuild it now (unlikely), it would still have been one of the best running most dependable gas engines I have.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

That sounds about rite,here is my rule of thumb. 32:1-40:1 use a Dino base oil,any higher ratio than that use synthetic.
I tried BelRay MC-1 @ 50:1 and went back to Pennzoil @ 32:1
One thing i did notice the BelRay never completely burned off, there was always a thick film on the cylinder walls.The engine definitely ran cooler with Pennzoil.
But i am off topic
Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did purchase the engine. I did not run it yet, however. I will probably buy some VP fuel with a motor octane around 95 and use that instead of pump gas because I dont' want the methanol in it. I plan to use AMSOIL at 40:1 or 50:1, but I hope I dont see the black gunk. I am putting it in a Hangar 9 Sundowner formula 1.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
pe reivers

At 40:1, originally there is black deposit. As the engine runs in, this goes away, partly due to leaning out the mixture.
I run synthetics only, so your statement is by no means universal.
I would not consider using leaner ratios just because my plane gets dirty. A wipe with a gas soaked cloth, and all is clean again.

ORIGINAL: Carpilot

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Some synthetics do not contribute to combustion or power and at 40:1 may make the the engine characteristics appear ''lean'' compared with mineral oil or compared with 60:1 for example.The needles will have to be re-adjusted
My needles are all adjusted for proper operation regularly.

At at 40:1 both the amsoil and mobil1 synthetic 2 stroke oils leave black gunk with all my gas engines , the black gunk is gone at 60:1, maybe not on one that is not fully broke in yet. With the ashless oils at 40:1 or even 32:1 and the needles adjusted for that fuel I get no black gunk.

The very reason that many people I know use conventional 2 stroke oils, no black gunk, which in my opinion, is worse than glow fuel gunk.

So here I am, the evolution manual says 40:1 synthetic, well No thank you. My engines are long past the warranty period so I'll take my chances. Even if it were to develop problems my next time out and I have to rebuild it now (unlikely), it would still have been one of the best running most dependable gas engines I have.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM
PlaneKrazee

Return the GX and buy the engine from Pe. He has the latest version that has the new crankcase, crankshaft, connecting rod and makes more power. The GX that Horizon sells is just a GT with new carb, head and ignition.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
f4urak

As far as cooling goes with this engine, what are normal cylinder head temeratures to be seen taken with a non-contact thermometer.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 PM
carlosemiliov
My Feedback: (1)

hello i just bought a 26gx i need to turn the head so the spark plug goes on the opposite side. is there going to be a prblem with the engine in doing so?
thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 PM
pe reivers

On the test stand using an IR gun I found that 140°C with the gun aimed at the spark plug boss (in the running engine) was about the best I could get without going too rich on the mixture. Leaned out to best setting, temps rose to 160°C.
In a 45cc engine, these values were 150 and 180°C respectively. In a plane with proper cooling, values are at least 20°C lower.

ORIGINAL: f4urak

As far as cooling goes with this engine, what are normal cylinder head temeratures to be seen taken with a non-contact thermometer.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
pe reivers

The head will be on wrong way
ORIGINAL: carlosemiliov

hello i just bought a 26gx i need to turn the head so the spark plug goes on the opposite side. is there going to be a prblem with the engine in doing so?
thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 03:14 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you turn the head around, the sparkplug will no longer be in the proper position to promote optimum ignition of the fuel-air mixture?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
pe reivers

I do not think so.
The SP head is very deep with an extremelywide squish band* for better (flatter) low end torque curves, so the plug is effectively hidden from the scavenging flow. In such a design the plug can be in 'most any position. The deep combustion head is a mechanical requirement for plug placement, but is supported by two stroke laws.
I think Mr Chymek at MVVS can tell the difference on his dyno, but I am sure the user like you and me can't.
We have run the head in both positions, and all were satisfied with the results.

The squish ratio in the SP engine is a whopping 69%, as compared to a 50% "normal" squish ratio.
This is for stump pulling. For high rpm operation above 8000 rpm, the standard head would be my choice.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I found one of these engines and wanted to know how they're holding up and user experiences with this engine. How do you like them?
Old 01-16-2015, 05:38 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Evolution GX 26 runs really well. I have a tuned pipe on it. I had it on 1.20 size Kaos like plane. Unfortunately some visitors to the club flying field let their kids run loose and one of them tripped and fell onto my plane crushing it. The visitors promptly took off on me before I could confront them about it and ask for compensation. Anyway the engine is waiting for me to put it on another plane here one of these days. I was using a 18x8 prop with it. 32:1 gasoline to oil ratio using Stihl HP Ultra oil. Mine has the Evolution labeled Valach ignition unit, but it appears to be a later model and no so prone to dying. But if it does give me trouble, I will get a CH-Ignitions unit to put on it. My engine was amazingly easy to start and tune. No problems at all with my engine.

A pic from when I was test running it a few years ago.

Last edited by earlwb; 01-16-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add more info