Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Two Stroke Oil Detectives - a new project!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Two Stroke Oil Detectives - a new project!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:06 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Stroke Oil Detectives - a new project!

I was at our local ACE hardware the other day and noticed that they now have some store brand 2 stroke synthetic oil that is biodegradable. I'll post a pic later in the day if I can. I wonder if this is the same stuff as Stihl Ultra?
Sam
Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Two Stroke Oil Detectives - a new project!

Take Castor oil. THAT's bio degradable.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Jezmo

Is Stihl HP Ultra biodegradeable? I haven't read that anywhere in the literature; coulda just missed it though.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

Is Stihl HP Ultra biodegradeable? I haven't read that anywhere in the literature; coulda just missed it though.
Yes, it is, http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/twocycleoil.html
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
DaddySam

Here are some pix of the oil. Any way to tell if it's made by the same company that makes Stihl's oil? It's $1.49 per bottle at Ace.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92102.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1272414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28737.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1272415  
Old 09-10-2009, 04:58 PM
jedijody

I don't think it's the same as Stihl. Stihl oil carries the JASO FB and API TC/TC+ certifications. The Ace oil is marketed by Green Earth Technologies and carries the JASO FD and API TC certifications. Stihl is bottled by BP Lubricants USA/Castrol, can't tell where the Ace oil is bottled. They also have other differences like flash point, viscosity, and pour temperature, as shown in the attached graph. I'm also pretty sure the Ace oil is not synthetic, it's maketing literature brags that it is "grown" in the USA,[sm=50_50.gif]. Give it whirl and see what you think, it being a vegetable base stock oil I might mix it at 40:1 to be on the safe side to start with.

Name:	Om33960.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1272435  
Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijody

STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil
HP Ultra is a fully synthetic 2-cycle engine oil specially suited for high performance chain saws and power tools. This oil has outstanding engine cleaning characteristics, plus “ultra” superior lubricating qualities in comparison to other 2-cycle engine oils. It is ideal for use in STIHL 4-MIX® engines. This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days.

STIHL recommends a mix of 50:1 high-quality 89 octane or higher unleaded gasoline to STIHL engine oil. This same mix ratio should be used during break-in.
Also good for break-in they claim!!! Capt,n[X(]
Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: captinjohn
As do I!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM
DaddySam

I have a tendency to buy too much oil at a time and I really don't like switching brands. I don't fly enough to burn through tons of it. I am using Pennzoil for break in and after a gallon or so I will be switching to the Husqvarna HP, which I have a gallon of! When that is done, I'll certainly try the Stihl Ultra, but at the rate I use oil, it could be a few years and maybe there will be a new elixir available by then.
Sam
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

They have to come up with new 2 stroke oils! Otherwise, what are we going to be debating 5 years from now??? [X(]
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they ever made an efficient prop we could have some pretty good fun...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 PM
catfish2
My Feedback: (43)

FWIW, my local stihl dealer gave me some grief when I tried to buy the ultra this summer. Seams they had been instructed to only sell it for use with their 4-MIX® engines. I went back later, avoided the question and bought some from a different counterman. Haven't used it yet, still finishing off my supply of a another brand of synthetic.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: catfish2

FWIW, my local stihl dealer gave me some grief when I tried to buy the ultra this summer. Seams they had been instructed to only sell it for use with their 4-MIX® engines. I went back later, avoided the question and bought some from a different counterman. Haven't used it yet, still finishing off my supply of a another brand of synthetic.
I have never used the Stihl Ultra oil but have sure used a bunch of the orange bottle regular Stihl oil. Have only used the stuff in lawn equipment and of course my Stihl saws but the results have been great. Runs great, plugs look good, no excessive exhaust residue, etc. Frankly, the stuff acts exactly like Pennzoil ...... no muss, no fuss, just works as expected. If the old standard Pennzoil goes away, I'd switch to the orange bottle Stihl oil in a heartbeat.

Now can someone suggest why this oil isn't a good oil? Just a conversation starter on my part as I really don't care. There are plenty of oils out there that suit our purposes just fine.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 PM
jedijody

Though Penzoil for A.C. is an excellent oil it's performance and residue characteristics are very different from Stihl oil.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Jezmo

Jody, can you give us a bit more on the Stihl orange bottle oil? Can you be more specific on how the performance and residue characteristics are different from Pennzoil? Does it leave more residue? Are we talking about wear performance or performance as in more power?

Hope you can clarify this a little.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:14 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Jody, can you give us a bit more on the Stihl orange bottle oil? Can you be more specific on how the performance and residue characteristics are different from Pennzoil? Does it leave more residue? Are we talking about wear performance or performance as in more power?

what he said !!!! [8D]
Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Jody, can you please.

Karol
Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 AM
JoeAirPort

I just PM'd him to stop over and entertain us. Please be patient.

Jody, include the Stihl Ultra too. Since you see so many engines, you get too see what we don't.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

What's more important, working on engines or entertaining us? I'm thinking entertaining us!!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:52 PM
jedijody

Oops, hit the wrong button.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:38 PM
jedijody

Ok, I'm not any kind of chemist, or oil expert, all I can do is describe what I've seen in engines you guys send me. First though I will say I've never used the Stihl oil in the orange bottle (mineral) or the black bottle (mineral/synthetic blend), I prefer synthetics. They are much better under high stress and heat situations. Once you see the inside of enough engines and ask some questions it's easy to tell what oil was run in some engines just by looking at the inside. Although wear is minimal, piston skirts and bearings are well protected, and combustion chamber and exhaust port carbon accumulations are thin and relatively easy to remove, Penzoil pistons have some of the worst staining and carbon just below the ring that I’ve seen. There is also more carbon in the crankcase and overall a dirtier engine interior, not a big deal, just an observation.

The inside of engines running on synthetic oils are typically much cleaner, little to no carbon below the ring, clean oil in crankcase, less accumulation in the combustion chamber and exhaust port. The synthetics do not coke as easily and some of them just go out the exhaust in close to the same shape they went in helping to flush loose dirt and carbon out of the engine. Over time, mineral oil deposits add up and if enough accumulation is on the side of the piston it will start to displace the oil. This takes a long time and most of our engines have other issues before that is a problem. But any time you can minimize contaminants in an engine it will have less wear and last longer. T.O.M. posted some excellent examples of pistons with about 500 hours on them that had been run on synthetic oil (Stihl HP Ultra) and although there is a bit more carbon on the exhaust side of the dome, you can actually see through the carbon on the rest of the piston top. since he already posted them in a public forum I'm sure he won't mind me showing them again. The second piston is one that ran Penzoil but for only about 5 gallons, with more time the stains get darker and some accumulation develops. I don't want anyone thinking that I don't like Penzoil oil because I do, but, I think there are many mineral oils that work just as well and if one of those is more convenient and affordable for you then you could do much worse. I also don't want to sound like I own stock in Stihl, but people ask me all the time what I use so what am I to do. Stihl just happens to the most convenient quality oil for me to get and it's not too expensive. I would have no problem using any one of several different synthetics if they were easier for me to get.

Name:	Ig12329.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1273113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70366.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1273114  
Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil
HP Ultra is a fully synthetic 2-cycle engine oil specially suited for high performance chain saws and power tools. This oil has outstanding engine cleaning characteristics, plus “ultra” superior lubricating qualities in comparison to other 2-cycle engine oils. It is ideal for use in STIHL 4-MIX® engines. This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days.

STIHL recommends a mix of 50:1 high-quality 89 octane or higher unleaded gasoline to STIHL engine oil. This same mix ratio should be used during break-in.
Jody, After mixing the Hp Ultra oil how long will it keep before you need to discard the fuel?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM
jedijody

It does not degrade until you pour it out on the ground or otherwise expose it to the elements ie; sun, water, earth. It keeps just fine all winter long in my weed whacker/chainsaw fuel jug.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

It does not degrade until you pour it out on the ground or otherwise expose it to the elements ie; sun, water, earth. It keeps just fine all winter long in my weed whacker/chainsaw fuel jug.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 PM
JoeAirPort

Thanks Jody.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.