Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Propeller Security and Safety

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Propeller Security and Safety

For you guys using wood props. Or ANY prop for that matter.

People need to check their prop bolts for the correct torque at least once per flying day.

I saw a prop shaft get sheared off in the threaded area of the shaft this past weekend. The make of the engine does not matter since the issue is applicable to all. When this happens it IS NOT a warranty or defective engine issue. It is one where the propeller, spinner, or both were able to move fore and aft on the prop shaft during rotational loads. It could also cause a fiberglass or carbon spinner to crack and/or shatter.

Not to mention that it ruins a flying day or longer while replacing a crankshaft, or replacing the entire plane, it is a very large safety issue for anyone within the area the propeller and spinner can be thrown to. So do a little pre-flight work and check your prop bolts.

Pat Roy
Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Propeller Security and Safety

Pat, this is an EXCELLENT post and deserves "sticky" status up top!!!!!!!! At the sizes we're getting into these days, our aircraft long ago outgrew "toy" status and crossed into "miniature full-scale". It's perhaps worth thinking about them that way.

I've wondered if safety wiring would be worth it. You can't sign off a prop change on a FS without it.......
Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 AM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post and reminder for all of us, complacency can bite hard.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Tired Old Man

Saftey wiring is not very useful on wood props since most of the woods currently used are easily compressed. If the hub compresses under the prop washer, even if safety wired, the prop can wobble, shearing either the prop bolts or the prop shaft on a threaded shaft.

Better to correctly torque the nut or bolts using the correct tools and re-visit prop security on a planned and frequent basis.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AGREE....had this exact thing happen last Sunday. Luckily I shut down as soon as I heard the "diff sound" and deadsticked in okay. Two bolts were broken...the other four loose. Luckily the broken ones backed out of the hub easily and with a new prop I was back in the air and engine runs okay. I had this happen about 5 years ago and got into the habit of checking frequently but admit I have slacked off..... Wont overlook this daily pre-flight check anymore!

On a similar note....ie...safety.... I am amazed at how many guys I still see (including "big name" guys) running up big engines while standing in front of or off to the side in the prop arc. I see this at both small local field get togethers and occasionally at the few big events I get to. Maybe I'm paranoid but I always try to err on the safe side....or in some cases common sense....lol.

Steve
Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Especially wooden props are notorious, some carbon props as well if they have the wrong hub filling compound. (some seem to have a wood insert!)
If you check on the checks that people do, it is not much checking done at all! Instead, I hear stories of why they are confident this won't happen.

So It is good to be reminded every now and then.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM
arobatx

No matter what the modeler's skill level, these safety reminders should always be welcomed. Thanks for this one Pat!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Tired Old Man

The Prince "P" tip props have a very soft wood hub under all that pretty carbon. Found that one out the hard way.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:38 PM
tkg

While your checking things make sure the spinner has not been in contact with the prop. We had a G-62 pitch a prop blade last weekend. Almost destroyed the plane.
Looking at the prop and spinner we found a tiny nick in the blade that was still intact, the missing blade broke at the same spot on the hub.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Oilsands

Excellent reminder to all and for those that did not know to check the prop bolt torques on a regular basis it is a good safety tip for them.
Also another great tip in regards to standing in front or to the side of a spinning prop that is being reved up. Not a good place to be standing and the big names should be showing everyone the safe way to operate rc aircraft.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

hey gentlemans, one question, on the DLE55 how much is the torque (in-pounds)of the bolts.....im using Xoar propeller but anyway i think the torque is the same for all. Also spinner bolt torque.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Tired Old Man

40 inch pounds. Spinner bolt just snug and not deforming the back plate.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

thanks T.O.M