Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quiet 40cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet 40cc engine

I've been flying electrics pretty much exclusively for the past three years or so. I enjoy the heck out of them but I'm in the mood to get a "full size" model back in the air again. However, having gotten rid of my gas stuff to finance batteries, motors, and ESCs - I'm in the position of having to buy a new 40cc engine. That's the first issue.

The second issue is that having gotten used to flying electrics I find I really, really like a quiet source of power. That and there are two guys at my field who fly very LOUD gas-powered models. We smile and joke about the noise with them but when they are not around, everybody complains - you can't hold a conversation while they are in the air. I do not want to be one of those offenders.

So, I have two questions or maybe a question in two parts, or maybe . . . well, here it/they is/are.

What is the quietest 2-stroke 40cc engine . . . and/or . . . what good value-for-money engine that I can quiet down effectively . . . and what mufflers/pipe would be most effective? (Oh yeah, I'm not convinced the big Saito is worth the money but if your consensus is that"s the way to go - OK.)
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Quiet 40cc engine

The engine itself has very little to do with it.

The 2 factors for noise are the prop, too small of prop will rip and be very loud + some brands are just louder than others.

The exhaust system, many of the cheaper engines come with a basic side dump muffler which is not much more than a deflector. A large volume pitts style muffler will reduce noise a fair amount. If you want really quiet then you need to look at canisters or a tuned pipe setup.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A ZDZ 40 on a tuned pipe would be very powerful and reasonably quiet.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Ray.man....My vote (as you know)....would be for the Moki or Mark 2.10 on a nice pitts muffler (I like the feel of glow fuel on a fresh cut in the morning). As for gas Zenoah and Fuji seem to be pretty quiet. The First Place motors come with a fairly quiet muffler also.........Hummmm....you look like a OS 300 twin type.....get out the checkbook.....see ya at the field!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Oops J***y, don't tell the guys I complained publicly about their way-loud planes please. I have enough trouble with my 'reputation' as it is.

Anyway, silly me, I suppose I was searching for a magic bullet. I want to build a big airplane this Winter and I didn't want to get into 6-cell electrics (yet). I just wanted to make sure that people don't complain about my flying . . . well the noise anyway.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:25 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how you arrived at a 40cc engine, but since you seem to be starting at scratch let me make a suggestion.

You'll get a much wider selection of engines and planes at the 50cc level. This is the most popular size going today.

There is a big choice in engines and most of them have canister setups available which is what you want for quiet. With a 40cc engine you should check very carefully that the components you need will be available before you purchase.

There isn't a great deal of difference in the plane's size either, and there's lots more planes in the 84-89" span than in the 78-82" size.

TF
Old 09-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Thanks Tom,

That's goof information about the 50 cc class and something I had not considered.

Also, apparently the canister setup is the way to go.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:22 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Our complaints are safe….I also find a piercing decibel level very annoying….that’s one reason I kinda got out of the gas arena…
Old 09-26-2009, 03:26 PM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

I am also thinking of building a new design sized for a 40cc, but putting something light like a DA 50 in it. The DA is about as light as most 40 sizes and there's nothing like having alittle more power if you need it. The new kit is modeled after the full scale Thatcher CX4, (I'm building one of those), and I thought it would be nice to have the model around too.