Mustang 50 engine help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang 50 engine help

Hi Guys
I was at a flyin last weekend and a friend has a mustang 50 in a Bravo, the combo is great. He started having some issues last year with it and another fellow was trying to sort it out, but I guess didn't get it done.
Top end and midrange runs fine and for that matter so does the bottom end, but heres the deal when coming in for a landing the engine will die most of the time,( its not idled down to slow either) I did open the bottom end up a little thinking it may have been lean and reset the top, seems as though the 2 needles over lap each other quite alot in this engine.
I know the carb had a rebuild last year by the guy that was trying to sort it out. He dosen't have a tube soldered on the diaphram cover yet and ran into the fuse but i'm thinking that may be next. IMHO I still think its the needles.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mustang 50 engine help

If it runs and idles well on the ground, but not in the air, you can be certain it is a carb reference pressure issue. At least run a line in the fuselage. Better still, connect it to a static tube (part of pitot tube system)
Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mustang 50 engine help

Thats the puzzeling part, it seems to run good in the air as well on the ground untill the landings and it will die about 1/2-2/3's of the time.
It has all new linkage and a good servo operating things ,so I don't think its a slop problem,but again I was going off what I was told and didn't see it first hand.
I did notice when going from full throttle on the ground to idle the engine would go to a slower RPM than normal and gradually pick back up, thus thinking it may have been to lean on the bottom.
Thanks for the info I told him about the tube and line going to a bottle which I use on all my gas engines but the owner had that deer in the headlights look on his face.