Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Holey Cow! Tower is now carrying DLEs!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Holey Cow! Tower is now carrying DLEs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 PM
GTworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Holey Cow! Tower is now carrying DLEs!

Whats the big deal about buying from tower you can get great deals !I mean isnt that what its all about .You buy a dl instead of buying a da because its a better deal !Right?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 PM
GTworks

Dont forget ,the bigger company supports more working Americans. If dl supplies only to tower, great ,more american jobs!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Tower coupon is good for $60 off of a purchase of $300 or more. That's a pretty big savings.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 PM
MetallicaJunkie

how did you get a 60 dollar coupon?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Checklst

I have one of those 60 dollar offers as well. DLE for $350 with free shipping..............hummmmmmmmmmm might be time to pick one of these up.[8D]
Old 09-22-2009, 12:47 AM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

They send them to you after you buy stuff. I bought some electric stuff a while back.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:00 AM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

You have to be a savings club member which is $10 a year right now instead of the normal $30 . Otherwise the max is $50 savings on a $300 purchase.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:56 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: SunShyne

doesn't matter to me who has it as long as the service AND price are good. With this in mind I would prefer to go with Valley View R/C as their price is almost $100 cheaper!

Even with a coupon for Tower you still are paying too much. Simple economics dictates Valley View should hold the stronger hand for the foreseeable future [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

how is it almost 100 cheaper?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: dan4466

You have to be a savings club member which is $10 a year right now instead of the normal $30 . Otherwise the max is $50 savings on a $300 purchase.

i am a member....i havent received that coupon
Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Eagleburger

Support tower and they support u. I get 25% off on orders over $300. Tower are great.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:02 AM
ol_seabee

I buy from Tower when I have alot of stuff to buy

Funny how people will tout "American made" just to watch said product become successful, raise price and then offshore manufacturing,,,

Heck,, offshore manufacturing AND raise prices lol duh

Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

I will buy all my Dl/DLE stuff from valleyview, Besides that fact they have them cheaper then T.H. now has them their service is as good as it gets. Tom and Jody are great.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I wonder if they plan to carry the DLE 30?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

I think this speaks volumes on just how good the DL engines are doing.

And it speaks volumes on just how over priced Tower Hobbies can be.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Moki 1.8
My Feedback: (11)

Im a member of the Tower Super savers club to, and I to also have a email from Tower with a add number that allows you to save $60 if you spend more than $300. I also order alot off stuff from Tower, BUT!!! When it comes down to engines and things like that im going to order from Valley View, for several reasons, 1. Going to support the little guys and 2. Customer support seems to be outstanding with them. Im getting ready to order a new gas engine within the next 2 weeks, im gonna order from Valley View because I know if I was to have a problem I could call Jody and he would take care of it.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Evil_Merlin

Find me any American Built engine that performs as well for as little money.

Something that is made in the States does not automatically make it better... usually it just makes it overpriced.

Honestly with Tower carrying DLE's, if I was DA I would start to get worried. The DL50 procuced more power for less weight than the DA50 did, and the DL55 furthers this lead.

The DA is an incredible engine, but I don't think its worth almost 2x the price of the DLE (when both include the muffler, the DA 50 is 664 bucks, the DLE55 can be had for 320 if you look for it, plus the DLE55 puts out more power and it weighs a little bit less).
Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 AM
AJsToyz

They are 410.00 free shipping with a Xoar prop from Valley View

410.00 @ Tower free shipping + 60.00 off

Doesn't sound cheaper. I do respect the fact though that it took places like Valley View to get these engines to the market for us.

Andy
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
AJsToyz

But if it was not for DA The Chinese would have had to copy someone else. Either way the base design was from an American Company. There are other costs involved , that offset over seas manufacturing but I don't even wan't to get into it.

Andy
Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Evil_Merlin

The problem with Tower Hobbies getting involved too, is we may see the prices from the smaller guys increase. Tower are b@stards about making sure that no-one can eat their market via price wars.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

They are 410.00 free shipping with a Xoar prop from Valley View

410.00 @ Tower free shipping + 60.00 off

Doesn't sound cheaper. I do respect the fact though that it took places like Valley View to get these engines to the market for us.

Andy
A wooden Xoar costs $60?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 AM
AJsToyz

I was questioning post #25 stating that Valley View was 100.00 dollars cheaper.

Andy
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The intent behind Tower selling DL's is a severe need to have an engine that will handle bigger planes, access to RC Exl ignitions, and a desire to develop a U.S. monopoly with the product line. This is consistent with their historical activities. That once they have the market locked up by forcing the other vendors out of business won't matter for the guy looking to buy as cheap as they can. That the price will rise to a point higher than it would have been had the small vendors remained in business will go unnoticed by the people that only look at a price. That will be the only price available so how will someone be able to buy cheaper? That service will be at best slow, and at worst impossible, and incorrectly performed will be a common complaint. They have had that problem for a long time where engines are concerned.

Tower/Great Planes/Hobbico/Lanier/Goldberg/Sig/Top Flite, and several others are all the same company. If they could they would also have Dubro. They've been trying to get them for decades. Know that in no way will Tower carrying DL do anything for an increase or stability in American jobs. I'll venture that 98% of what they currently handle is made in the far east or China.

That Tower markets very little that is truly appropriate for large scale planes seems to go unnoticed for most people. What they do carry for giant scale is largely inadequate and contributes to reduced levels of safety. Better take a look at all the hardware that their sponsored giant scale flyers actually have on their planes.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 AM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

I get an email from them and use the code numbers. I would think as a member you would get these. I get them constantly. The 13th & the 20th of this month are the latest. Maybe you should call them and see whats up.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
MetallicaJunkie

I get an email from them and use the code numbers. I would think as a member you would get these. I get them constantly. The 13th & the 20th of this month are the latest. Maybe you should call them and see whats up.

Thanks i remembered i use another email adrress for when i ordered stuff, and yes thankfully the coupon is there
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

In terms of volume, I have my doubts whether Tower will sell more 50cc and 100cc engines than either Troybuilt or Valley View or Wild Hare. Even Chief will likely bury them in total sales of these engines.

Next question, do they buy direct from the manufacturer (DLE) as a "licensed distributor" or through some other outlet, such as Feiao or Cyclone Toy? If so, they are bound to advertise the price at "MAP" and won't be able to undercut everybody else. If they buy the factory "seconds" as available through Feiao and Cyclone, how long will it be before they drop the line due to the high number of repairs (the vast majority of "issues" with the DLE's as reported on the forums are with engines bought from non-distributors)?

I have to assume Hobby Services will provide support for the DLE's. They are competent and fairly easy to deal with.

I don't know that Tower/Hobbico will be able to flex enough muscle in the giant scale side of the business to put the other big distributors out of business. Sure they are the gorilla in the room, but they really don't sell enough giant scale planes to corner the market. They really sell only the GP Performance Series planes and very few others. They buried Lanier so they don't sell those big kits or ARFs any more, and I don't know whether they ever sold the big Sig Edge. What else do they sell? No TT/TOC, Extreme Flight, Wild Hare, Radiowave, or Aeroworks planes. Let alone any Magic Hand, EG Aircraft, etc.

I really think they are working to support their existing line of planes more than anything else, and want to carry something beyond the Mac Minarelli or Fuji engines, both of which are albatrosses.

No, I believe they will only sell a small fraction of the number of engines that TBM and Valley View will sell. It just doesn't make good business sense to do otherwise.

Now if anybody could explain why it is quite a bit cheaper to buy OS engines from hobby shops in Japan (even including shipping and money transfer charges), and especially why Tower charges a $140 premium for pumped engines when the pumped engines are $40 more in Japan, I would like to know a valid answer for that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.