Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Brand new DLE 30 problems, has any one else had any?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brand new DLE 30 problems, has any one else had any?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 AM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new DLE 30 problems, has any one else had any?

I bought a brand new dle 30 from a seller here on rc, and after spending the needed time doing all the needed conversions, Got the new dle 30 install on my new 120 size stick.

I checked and rechecked what I thought was everything.

Me and A close freind took the plane to the feild to run the engine through a few tanks of fuel to get it properly broke in.

We fueled up the bird, choked the engine, flipped the prop about 6 or 7 times and the engine fired. I than took the choke off and flipped the prop several times to get the engine to start the first time. The engine fired right up and ran about 20 seconds and then started making a knocking sound. Then just locked up.

To my horror i tried to turn the prop and the engine would barely turn. I turned the engine one full turn, and I knew than something had gone very wrong.

I am a GM certified mechanic so I decided to take the muffler off and look into the exhoust hole and see what I could see.
When I did I found what looked like a piston pin retainer clip. ( only a small piece, but enough to know what it was )

oh well.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
yearnin to Fly

Default RE: Brand new DLE 30 problems, has any one else had any?

By the way I have pics of the engine, and the fuel mixture was 30 to 1 just as the dle 30 instructions called for.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I've had great luck with my DLE 30, so I have not had need of any service. I did buy from Valleyview RC, because of their reputation for service after the sale. As for attacking the buyer, I have heard of that practice before, and it does not seem a good business model. Why not post a few pictures of what you see? If you're going to have to fix the engine yourself, since the seller doesn't seem interested in providing any warranty work, I'm sure I"m not alone in wanting to see what you find inside the cylinder.
Sam
Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear of your dilema with your new engine and do hope that you find some reasonable solution to getting it repaired. So often we hear of similar horror stories where folks buy items from one off sellers at bargain prices only to end up needing warranty service or spares and find that none is available because they never bought from a recognised and reputable dealer but rather from someone whose only intention is to make a quick buck.

It is unfortunate that sometimes folks are not able to look beyond a seemingly 'good deal' to see the possible pitfalls waiting around the bend. Sure hope something works out for you and best of luck with your engine.

Karol
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Please let everyone know which seller it is that is not standing behind his motors.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your engine is from the one of the first productions runs of it's size. It's quite likely that this run has sold out and the dealers are waiting for more to arrive before they can do anything about replacements. Parts supply for new sizes typically lags behind the first few production runs so they may not yet have any.

I'd be patient and work out an arrangement with the dealer for a new engine as soon as they become available. Dealers depend on the good will of their customes just as much as we depend of the goodwill of the dealersrs. I know that none of this corrects the engine problem in the "now" and that your flying is delayed until it is corrected, but it may be the only option you have at the moment. That the engine had a failure is not the dealers fault is of no concern to you, but I'm reasonably certain the dealer will take care of it as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that websites generally are not consistent with inventory counts, so if the website noted the product as "in stock" when in fact it was not, would not be unusual.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

thats why you need to buy from authorized DEALERS and not some guy on RC whch will not give you warranty. IS not a DLE problem, its a SELLER problem then.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

but I'm reasonably certain the dealer will take care of it as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that websites generally are not consistent with inventory counts, so if the website noted the product as ''in stock'' when in fact it was not, would not be unusual.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:55 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This must be the guy:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=558920

I'd try to work it out with him. He should at least let you return it for a refund. If you're stuck with it I'd get a hold of Jody at ValleyviewRC.com. I bought both of my DL-50 and DLE-55 from him and he's provided top notch support. He'll get your engine going for a reasonable price. After dealing with Jody you'll likely not want to buy from anybody else.

Joe
Old 10-04-2009, 02:06 PM
yearnin to Fly

It is all going to be fine, I will just rebuild the engine my self, and enjoy the time doing it. I am sure I could wait a month or 2 and the seller would get me another one at no cost. But I am going to just search the net for parts, rebuild it myself, eat the cost of the parts and just move on. What bothered me about the whole thing was the seller having one listed for sale, yet not having one to exchange out, for the one gone bad. That just seems wrong. But I need to learn to keep my nose clean and just move on.

So I am now smiling, and moving on to the engine rebuild at hand, Since I have to rebuild so many engines for other customers, I might as well rebuild mine and than I will know for sure what I have.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will call Jody at ValleyviewRC.com, ( Thanks Joeairport for the info ) buy the parts I need and enjoy rebuilding this dle 30 I have.

By the way I will post pics of the engine and damaged parts on here later today or tommorrow. That way others can be on the lookout and know what to look for. Hopefully preventing any of this happening to anyone else.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:12 PM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: soarrich

Please let everyone know which seller it is that is not standing behind his motors.
I beleive that if given time the seller will stand behind the motor and get it repalced or rebuilt for me. The trueth Is I would buy from them again, ( I know sounds crazy, But they are really good people )

The problem is I do not want to wait 1 to 2 months for a replacement engine. I would rather just rebuild it myself and be ready to fly in a week. I do it for other customers, so it will not bother me to do one of mine. Besides then I will know what I have.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wondered...is this the sellers phone no?

I can be reached at 618-566-4102.

We do not reply to emails that contain offers, that is what the make an offer box is for in the add. So if you make an offer by email, it will be deleted.

The above was found in the market place! [X(]
Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
tkg

Sorry to here this, but stuff happens. THATS why there are warranties. You need SERVICE not BS. This what separates the good guys from the fly by nighters.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you install the circlips in the new pistons, make sure the free leg of the circlip is aligned vertically with the psiton. Up or down doesn't matter, but pointing to the side is why they break off. When they do it kills the top end every time.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
JOHNS3D

Weird..... look the warranty on the seller.

"I have been getting alot of questions regarding warranty of these engines. They come with 1-year Mfg. warranty! Engine will be repaired or replaced locally here in USA!"
Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I'm glad people post this stuff. It shows others that staying with the winners and spending a little more is always best.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Just wondered...is this the sellers phone no?

I can be reached at 618-566-4102.

We do not reply to emails that contain offers, that is what the make an offer box is for in the add. So if you make an offer by email, it will be deleted.

The above was found in the market place! [X(]

No that is my add for a used itme I have for sale. I have learned over time to just talk to someone on the phone, you can than help them more quickly, and answer all their questions at one time, instaead of spending DAYS answering emails.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: tkg

Sorry to here this, but stuff happens. THATS why there are warranties. You need SERVICE not BS. This what separates the good guys from the fly by nighters.
I am sure it will all get made right by the seller of the engine. They are honest and hard working people. I know now I should have just waited before I said anything.

I just need to learn to be patient. End of story.

When something goes wrong I will from now on follow the proper channels, and wait my turn and be patient.

There were things I saw after the engine problem I knew were wrong, and I was even told by some of the sellers I emailed and asked for help to get parts that I had done something wrong. Sellers want to believe that the items they sell are perfect in every way and the only thing that can go wrong is the buyer screwing their product up, AND THIS IS JUST NOT TRUE. But that is what this world has come to.

I still believe there is good sellers out there, and will continue to look for them.

THANKS
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

I'm glad people post this stuff. It shows others that staying with the winners and spending a little more is always best.
In this case he actually spent more $ than if he would have purchased it from an authorized dealer.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: jedijody

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

In this case he actually spent more $ than if he would have purchased it from an authorized dealer.
I agree.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 AM
jedijody

I'm truly sorry to hear of your dilema with a brand new engine and I agree that the patience thing is a two way street but unless you purchased your engine from one of three distributors that do not sell DLE engines on RCU, Ebay, or any other swap/auction site, you did not purchase from a factory authorized dealer. In the interest of helping a brother modeler and if you want to give good customer service a try, give me a call.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
yearnin to Fly

I'm truly sorry to hear of your dilema with a brand new engine and I agree that the patience thing is a two way street but unless you purchased your engine from one of three distributors that do not sell DLE engines on RCU, Ebay, or any other swap/auction site, you did not purchase from a factory authorized dealer. In the interest of helping a brother modeler and if you want to give good customer service a try, give me a call.
Thanks for the advice. I just tried to call you, and no one answered. Would you please call me? 618-566-4102 Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
JOHNS3D

ORIGINAL: cman_25

Thanks for the advice. I just tried to call you, and no one answered. Would you please call me? 618-566-4102 Thanks
Jody is most of the time working on engines... just leave a message on the voice and he will call you back right away!!! he is always there to help.!!.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: f5air

ORIGINAL: cman_25

Jody is most of the time working on engines... just leave a message on the voice and he will call you back right away!!! he is always there to help.!!.
Good Morning, and thanks, I did call and leave a message and still have not gotten a return call. I even left my number on here and still have not gotten a call back. Oh well. I tried.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
jedijody

Please remember this country has time zones, when it's 9:00 am there it's only 6:00 am here. Mondays are very busy phone days and I usually have about 10 messages before I start to answer the phone at 9:00 am. Then I can get 1 or 2 voicemails while I'm talking to someone until about noon and it starts to slow down, then I can start running engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.