JZ 21X10 6,280
Old 10-29-2009, 05:13 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS Join the Gasser Race: 55cc

per Tower Hobbies info:

O.S. GT55

IG-01 Capacitive Discharge Ignition uses a microcomputer programmed for optimum spark advance through the use of magnetic sensors on the crankcase and prop drive, the IG-01 also detects and compensates for wet plugs to ensure consistent quick starts, also requires minimum current in stand-by mode and features a low voltage warning (intermittent engine operation) Front mounted carburetor stays cooler for less heat percolation and more consistent performance, simple and direct throttle and choke linkages Unique one-piece crankcase eliminates gaskets and enhances strength and precision Front induction rotary valve crankshaft design for positive opening and closing of valve for optimum timing, no oil seal required which eliminates RPM loss due to additional friction Massive front and rear crankshaft bearings for longer life and maximum power output Thin high-performance piston ring and high-strength aluminum alloy piston for reduced break-in and high compression from the very first run Two year limited warranty beginning at date of purchase

INCLUDES: O.S. GT55 Gasoline Engine with Electronic Ignition, Carburetor, CM-6 Spark Plug, four Mounting Standoffs, Prop Washer with four 5x40mm Socket Head Cap Screws and Instruction Manual

REQUIRES: Propeller: 20x10 - 22x10, 24x8

SPECS: Displacement: 54.93cc (3.325 ci) Bore: 41.2mm Stroke: 41.2mm Practical RPM: 1,500 - 8,000

$650 with an anticipated future stock arrival Feb 2010. Any reliable reviews out yet? I mean real reviews not the old "it's the best thing since sliced bread ..."
Old 10-29-2009, 05:31 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

$650??? Good grief they're awfully proud of that thing. At that price, it's right there with a DA-50R. Gonna be a hard sell.

Figure that those who are eager to buy US products will find a known reliable US made product for the same price, from a company with a sterling service reputation, and they know they can find a "real human" to talk to with a single phone call or forum post.

Those that are less concerned about country of origin will find a great many competitors at lower prices, some that also possess good reputations for service and reliability, a few of whom even offering the same "speak to a real human right away" ability through US dealers.

Finally, those willing to pay a small weight penalty...or indeed those who can use the extra weight up front...will still find a top notch option in a G-62, at a lower cost for more horsepower, especially one of the many EI conversions out there, particularly those from well known sources.

Other than die-hard brand-loyal OS nuts, I just don't see how OS expects to succeed in such a competitive market at that price, especially with so many well established alternatives.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So aside from the name of the maker, what do people anticipate this engine will do differently from any other 50?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

So aside from the name of the maker, what do people anticipate this engine will do differently from any other 50?
Make you slaughter your cowl to get that carb to fit.

I have no doubt that the engine will be a real performer, I also would lay a wager it will be a short lived production like many OS 2 stroke nitro engines lately. People who demand quality and reliability without a fuss or having to hope for it will buy this engine. I just don't think there are enough people like that to make the engine sustain it's self for a very long production run. Therefore the replacement parts future for the engine might be dismal.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe there is already a thread started on this engine....why start another...just add to existing thread. Capt,n
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I guess they feel the name counts for some $250 in the price
Those mounting lugs look awfully skinny! Better have a 100% flat firewall or they might break off quite easily
Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 PM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

In November or December, Tower sends out special promotions that if applied, you will get this engine for $500 shipped...

Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prestige is what sells expensive engines, more than anything else. Like choosing a DA over a DL, style over substance.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
manila_eagle
My Feedback: (16)

Thank you RC Pilots for all your input.

Well I am one of those diehard OS users. I have used OS since late 70's till early 90’s and most of those engines I had never fails to work. I stop this hobby in early 90's, came back on the hobby again in mid 2007. I always believe in saying that “You get what you paid forâ€. But of coarse manufacturers are not perfect, they do sells some that really, as we called it Lemons. I would be cautious of buying this 55cc engine, as we know there will always be imperfection on first production just as one reputable company who came up with a two 4stroke gasser that only a handful of owners are smiling.

Be safe!!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:08 PM
g_mkoch

I don't think is overpriced, OS quality is one of the best and for those of us that are Club members we can get this engine for less than a DA. I agree that the carb design is different but who knows, maybe in 5 years all gas engines will have the carb on the front, different is not necessarily bad or good it is just different.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Kweasel

I am curious about how easy this engine will be to hand start with an inverted mount. All of my inverted glow engine were impossible to get primed without a starter.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM
OK2Fly

ORIGINAL: Kweasel

I am curious about how easy this engine will be to hand start with an inverted mount. All of my inverted glow engine were impossible to get primed without a starter.
Operating a gas engine is a little different than operating a glow engine.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Kweasel

ORIGINAL: OK2Fly

Operating a gas engine is a little different than operating a glow engine.
Is it really?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Since it shows a choke and it has a diaphragm carp inverted starting shouldn't be a problem. All of my twin cylinders have th carb hanging straight down and show no difficulty in hand starting.
given the price of the thing, I would go ahead and by another Taurus if I am going to spend that amount of money for a 50cc class engine.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Eganwp

This is stupid. I can get a DLE 55 for $320 like my last one.... At that price I could have 2 55's for the same price as the OS.... Not to mention it's highly reviewed. :P
Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

At that price,with those lugs,i would never touch it.Just a prop strike would do it.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 PM
manila_eagle
My Feedback: (16)

The engine will be available February next year. Lets just wait and see what other guru will say about this engine.

If you look at most RC engine the crank case are not machined from harden solid steel. Any severe prop strike will surely ruin lots of parts on the engine, the first thing to bent or break is the crank shaft, piston rod or the crankcase if not the mounting plate. As one person quoted "Do not judge the book by it's cover".

Be Safe! Happy Veterans Day for those who served this wonderful country of ours! God bless USA!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Kweasel

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

Since it shows a choke and it has a diaphragm carp inverted starting shouldn't be a problem. All of my twin cylinders have th carb hanging straight down and show no difficulty in hand starting.
given the price of the thing, I would go ahead and by another Taurus if I am going to spend that amount of money for a 50cc class engine.
The potential starting problem that I see in the rotary valve induction. They have much lower vacuum signal than reed or piston port inductions. ZDZs were not the easiest starters and their carbs are horizontal. We will find out soon enough.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

You are right about the lower intake pressure differential.
But the question will be whether what it has will do the job. My bet is that it will based on the hundreds and hundreds of hand cranked starts that I have done in my earlier years cranking inverted Foxes and K&Bs on controline models. They seldom ever took more than a half dozen flips and usually only two if the priming was done properly.
Concerning the ZDZ rotary My flying buddy Big Bird ha been using a ZDZ 80 on his 33% Super Decathlon for at least a half dozen years. Again when the starting drill is done properly it starts in 3 or four flips hot or cold.