Default RE: 55 cc engine

this project will be great!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 AM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From one crafstman to another - EXCELLENT work "Cyberwolf"

I bet you already have plans for the next one - Told ya it was addictive

Not long now and you wil be hearing that first Purr of all your work coming together. - keep it up mate, you are doing well.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for that bit of info Jody , I was not aware the two would not interchange. The bore would not be any problem to fix, but the bolt pattern could lead to some issues I was not expecting. Thats what I get for building before I had the part in hand.
How much difference is there between the 50 and the 55 bolt pattern. If there to much I will settle for the 50.

Oh well like, steve said I already have plans for the next one *L*
I now have all the, tooling plates, jigs and fixtures, blueprints and notes made so it wouldn't take that long to make another.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:36 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 55cc cylinder stub is 2mm larger diameter, the bolt spacing is a tad over 1mm wider, and the base has a slightly larger footprint. I think what you have so far will work well for either. I could send you a cylinder and gasket, if you don't/can't use it send it back within a reasonable amount of time, if you do use it send me a check.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 PM
captain stowed

This is a truly amazing project, I really wish I had the skills to make an engine from scratch. My only ever efforts at machining were during my apprenticeship and it took soooo much time even to make the most basic stuff on a lathe.

Would you mind sharing the kind of equipment you use? Are you doing this at home? If so your workshop would probably be a dream for most. Keen to see pics of it if you can.

Michael.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Cyberwolf

Hi captain stowed Yes I am doing this at home, But unfortunatly my work shop is also my place of business. I have owned and operated a Automotive Machine Shop for the last 20 some odd years. I myself am semi retired now due to a injury and I am very selective about what I take in anymore.
As far as machines go, The main two machines I have used are a Lathe and a universal type milling machine. A couple type's of rotary tables on the mill and of course a precision vise and precision boreinghead. All sorts of radius cutters both inside and out.
Some I had to make myself. It would be nice to have a small O.D. grinder for the bearing fits and such, my valve grinder just won't quite do the job, one of them close but no cigar sort of deals. But with a little care and time a person can sneek up on the bearing fits those kind of tolorances + or - .0002 of a inch. take a little time to get just right. Sounds crazy but bearings are ment to have just the right press fit or they can distort and cause premature wear. That goes for both inner and outer diameters.
My mill is equiped with all the latest goodies I can add to it, XYZ readouts in .0002 inch increments. Power feeds on all four axis. I have always wanted a brand new mill so I got this one and all the tooling I could afford just last Jan to compliment my other machines. All I can say its a real sweetheart of a machine and deadly accurate. If I was going into the business of making these small engines a CNC would be a must but for what I do a CNC would be of no use to me at all. I posted one pic at the beginning of the rotary table on the mill, If I can I will post some others.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Cyberwolf

I have not posted in a while so here is a update to what is going on. Jody at Valley View gave me some very good advice I really needed, I was not aware of the 50 and 55 cylinders not being exchangable. So he has agreed to send me a cylinder to see if things will work.
Guys I made a huge error in judgement in another thread towards Jody I have already made my piece with him, but I want the rest of you to know just what sort of a stand up person he really is. You can count on Valley View getting my business in the future for all my parts and needs.

My bearings finally come in and I was able to assemble the crank assy. So for kicks I assembled the engine with the 50 CC cylinder& piston and all went well. I wanted to check things over for binding, clearance's, deck height and such.
I was some what skeptical of the magnet I used in the hub, although it had a strong feel to it before removal from the tool it was in, it just didn't have the power to activate the hall sensor. So I will need to make another prop hub unless I can get the magnet out, which I doubt very seriously. I found whats called a NEODYMIUM Magnet which is one of the strongest type permanent magnets made, I ordered 10 of the little guys and should be here in a few days. Here is where I messed up, I think my magnet was plenty good enough, but it was to long for my needs so I ground it off, Bad idea, I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that it was a NONO to get a magnet hot, but the devil made me do it. Gotta blame someone don't I *LOL* So now the once mighty magnet is nothing more than a paper clip lifter. Just a minor setback, after I gather up the rest of my parts for this, then comes the final test will it run and how well. I plan on putting it on Utube for all to see, my son has agreed to help with the video end of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69478.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	1316446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26966.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1316447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24119.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	1316448  
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

It's a shame to throw away that nice prop hub. Why don't you put a new magnet in 180 degrees away, and just move your sensor mounting??

Super nice project and work!!

AV8TOR
Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done! I look forwards to your test results once you get it running. Are you going to get a weight once it is completed?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Cyberwolf

ORIGINAL: Super08

Well done! I look forwards to your test results once you get it running. Are you going to get a weight once it is completed?
I will give the total weight, with and W/O muffler,prop size,oil type and ratio and rpm's.
After I get some info, maybe useing Pe's chart I can give a HP.
I expect it to be slighty heavier than the DL-55 because of the houseing being made from a solid billet, we'll just have to see.

As far as useing the original hub, Its not that much work really to just make another one. I have not tried as of yet to get the old magnet out, but being both staked and locktited in there I really have some serious doubts about it.

One thing I have been thinking about is making a muffle, but i'm not sure its really worth the effort.
I can tell everyone this much, this has been both a learning experence and I have had a ball building this. Sure beats messing with a old greasy engine anyday.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Cyberwolf

Hello I got the parts in to get the basic engine all together, thanks to Jody at Valleyview. Here is a few pics of the finished deal. I am still waiting for my magents to show up, I need them before I can run it.
I did need to mod the case a little to accept the 55 cylinder but all in all it turned out very good, has very good compression for never been started. It also turns over very free with out the plug, So I think all the time It took to get correct measuresments and so on has paid off in the long run. I am really getting anxious to hear it run.

Now for some specs the engine alone weight is 1440 grams just under 3 lbs 3 ozs about 90 grams more than a stock DLE 55
This did not supprise me any since the prop hub has more metal to it and so does the case itself, plus its made from a solid piece of 6061 Alum. I don't think the extra weight is going to even be noticed.

I'll have more after I get it running, I was going to make a engine stand just for this, but I think I will just put it in the plane I plan on using it in. We'll see how lazy I am when the time comes .

I plan on using Penz aircooled oil at 32-1 and a 3-W 22x8 prop for breakin, The prop may change once I get a fire in it.

Name:	Ca81277.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	1321270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31275.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1321271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89332.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1321272  
Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Super08

Get her running!!!! Can't wait to see how you make out.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:51 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Wow look at you go !!! Nice work. That thing looks beautiful. I'm watching.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:51 AM
jedijody

She's beautiful, nice pile of pride right there!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
ACAMEX

Hey Cyber

Have you had her running yet?

Regards

C
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Cyberwolf

No I did get the magnets in and got one installed, but found out that my ign went south.
I got another one, but have not taken the time to put it on the plane yet. Iv'e been very busy doing other work here ,but I hope to get the most of it done today. Then I can get back on the 55 again.
Rest asure that when it fires there will be footage of it,may not be very good footage but there is gonna be something *L*
Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Cyberwolf

Well guys I finally got the time to install the new iginition and got to hear my baby run today, No I have not tached it as of yet, But it does sound very strong. Right now i'm doing a few heat cycles to help break it in somewhat, but my son is supposed to be out tomorrow and we will get some footage of it going for all to see, plus some numbers. Remember this is the first of several runs i'll be doing I have some plans for the cylinder up ahead I think *L* guess it depends on what I see tomorrow.
Here are my first impressions very little vibrations at a idle, one flip starts after it ran the first time took 4 with the choke to fire it up, then 2 flips and it was purring. Overall So far I am very pleased with things.
Its hard to express my feelings right now. To hear the engine fire the first time is something I just can't explain.
Richard.

Name:	Nl30045.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1331529  
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Awesome!!! I bet that has to be a really great feeling! Enjoy it, you deserve it!
So, when are they going into production? Cost? Warranty?
Really nice job!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 PM
AJsToyz

That is a fine looking engine. If it runs half as good as it looks you'll have a great performer. Its funny though, most of the guys build the planes and buy the engines !

Andy
Old 12-10-2009, 08:12 PM
jedijody

VERY nice Wolfman! you are very talented for sure. For those that don't know it, Cyberwolf did all the machining on a manual mill, he is a very skilled craftsman.

Get ready for all the orders to come pouring in. I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard now.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Super08

Yes congrats indeed. Not like it was a cad program running a cnc. This was all done manually. A skill that is slowly disappearing.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
AJsToyz

Yes very true, people over look craftsmanship because of all the newer equipment out there. There are alot of people out there that don't even have a clue of what it takes to make something like this, and have it working !!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Cyberwolf

Thank you all for your kind words. It makes me feel very warm to know there are still a few folks out there that understand what a Machinist is all about.
a special thanks goes out to Jody at Valley View. Jody your the man !

As far as ever making any engines to sell, well lets see how this one does first *L*

My son wasn't able to come out today, So I didn't get any video yet.
After a few more run ups and cool downs I will get some tach numbers tomorrow with a 3-W 22x8& maybe a 22x10 if nothing else.

Momma asked me what I wanted for xmas and I told her some props *L* so I'll have a better varity to choose from to try out on the engine, the only problem is shes holding on to them untill xmas *L*
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

The reward of assembling an ARF and watching it fly is cool, can't even imagine an engine I made from my own hands. It's gotta be nice. The engine looks awesome. Can't wait to hear about your RPM's. I'd be willing to bet 7000-7500. 3W prop's are pretty beefy aren't they? If that's true they might turn a little lower. Too bad you didn't have a digital fish scale to measure thrust.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Cyberwolf

Hi Joe , I have not mentioned the fact of pull yet, but I do indeed have a very good digital fish scale I bought a few years back just for this purpose. I never thought I would be using it on a engine I made though.
Yes the 3-W prop is a little heavier than what I really want to run, but will have to do for now. My other props are on order and will be a few days before I actually get them in my hands.
Well i'm off to warm the shop up more, Be back later with some results I hope *L*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.