Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

55 cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 55 cc engine

Well guys I have some footage, but I am having some problems getting it on my comp, so I can load it onto Utube seems as though my disk drive has went south and I didn't know it. I went to town and got a new one but wouldn't you know its not compatable with my comp.
Anyway were working on that all I can or will say you need to see the vid I could hardly believe it myself. But the tach is good with a new battery and has always been in line with others when I checked it.
All I can say is I am going to need a different prop for sure to run on this engine.
I started a log book with all the data when the engine was ran and will post that info when I get the Video on the net.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

wow, what a great look of that engine!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Cyberwolf

Finally! Thanks to the help of my son we finally have the test run on RCUniverse. Please remember that this engine has had less than a tank of gas ran through it, and I am still playing with the tuning of the engine. I hope that you enjoy this short video.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/RDs-55-cc
Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 AM
aussiesteve

EXCELLENT Results mate - seriously excellent.

I have a couple of questions for you though

1 - Are you addicted yet?
2 - What size is the next one going to be? a twin of that or a differnt size?
(Notice I didn't wait for the reply to the 1st question - I think I may know the answer already)

3 - Do you want to come and live in Sunny Australia ?
(I am always looking for truly talented craftsmen that want to make things that are FUN to use - and you have shown yourself to be a truly talented craftsman with this project).

Seriously - well done. I hope you are very pleased with the result because you should be proud of the achievement
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard wow what can I say...it sounds fantastic!!! Do you have a door or something open to let in natural light? If not I have found sometimes my tach will go astray when working off light from incandescent lights. Not always though. She sure runs smooth. Great job!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Cyber, that thing runs GREAT!! Really, really nice job!
Almost 8000 with a Menz prop is really impressive. It should swing a 24 inch prop with no problem.
Put me down for a 110 twin!!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Without the wings on, there was no shaking and bouncing around. THAT's impressive.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Cyberwolf

Thanks guys, to my best of knowledge the tach is correct, when I walked over to the side of the shop,I shut the lights off and just let the natural
light filter in thru the windows. The noise you could hear is a exhaust fan I had running.
That was the very first time we did a video and I was camera shy *LOL* Even my son told me I could have least smiled a little .To be honest I was almost in shock when I seen the tach numbers I was holding the plane back while the top end readings was taken, I think that may be why it varied a little.Yes I had it tethered, but things can happen so fast, I just felt better hanging on to it.
The first tach readings that you couldn't see on here settled in at about 7800-7850.
Anyway back to Aussie Steve *S* I would really love to be in a warmer climate so don't pull my leg to hard *L*

As for making another just like this one, should not be a problem.
I made a fixture to hold both halves of the case on a register plus dowel pins, that way I can remove the part and place it back on and still keep things in perfect alignment, while maintaining my centerline. Plus I have some extensive blueprints with all the deminsions and notes.

To be honest I was a little worried about the balance of the engine,if you have been following this at one time I mentioned that I would use the rod to finish off the balance of the engine I cut material from the center of the rod and made a I beam out of it for the final balance it must have been close because there is not much vibration in it at all,otherwise you would have seen a set of wings to help absorb some of it.

As far as a next project goes, my son informed me he wants one of these engines.
But I have other irons in the fire at the moment.
When that is done maybe a twin would be fun to do,but I have a G-62 thats in need of going on a diet first.
I had allot more footage I wanted to show especially the mill for the most part made the case halve's
So I will tell you a little about it.
Its a Birmingham made in taiwan 10x54 table And has everything a person could imagine on it.
Also my pull test went out the window, the batteries in the scale was dead.

I said I would post the conditions so here they are.
1. Prop 22x8 3-W wood
2. 88 octane pump gas
3.Penz aircooled oil @ 32-1 ratio
4.Shop temp 65 degrees F
5. Outside temp minus 3 C
6 Density Alt 3500
7. alt 4500
8.engine temp at readings 170 F
9.dew point -6 C
10.Timing 28 degrees BTDC

Special thanks go out to Jody at Valley View without his knowledge and help I may have never got this project off the ground.
I hope all of you that have followed this had a little of the fun I did in making it.
Again I want to Thank All of you for your kind words and support.
Richard.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
ALW Phantom

I agree with everyone who has already said, AWSOME! I do have a question though, with the rear carb set up why not have a cylinder that dumps out the rear as well. If you had that what a slim line package that would be. Once again incredible job ....

ALW
Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rich,
Had a chance to watch the vid! Looks great!!

Steve
Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Super08

Thanks for the info on the light Richard. That is some gem you have there. I picked up on the smoothness as well when I watched the vid this morning. I couldn't see any, too bad the manufactures couldn't get them so smooth. If you ever decided to build them to sell, your requests for engines would exceed the volumn you could produce on your own easy. Anagin congrats on a very stunning example of workmanship.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Cyberwolf

I think what happens is when a engine is mass produced, the proto type is all well and good for balance. But different items get farmed out for production and a gram or two is gained or lost somewhere and they are not as smooth as they could be. Like I said I was very leary and also carefull in that aspect, when I balanced the rotating assy. Who knows maybe I just got lucky. When I first fired the engine I told my wife I may have to get the wings from the trailer just in case. But after seeing how things went I left them off on purpose, so folks could see for themselves. Over the years I have seen in the larger car and truck engines just what a good balance job can do.
It may have a bearing on the top RPM's i'm seeing also. It sure can't hurt *S*

I realize that a single cyl engine can't be in perfect balance, at all phases of the stroke. But they should be equal in weight each way from the centerline of the crankshaft in my thinking.

Honest I was as supprised as you guys were, when I seen the reading on the tach. I was looking for 7-7300 with that prop but certainly was excited with the 7950 reading.

I will do several more tests with different props, get some good pull readings with each prop and also get another tach just to make sure things are correct.
After and only after I get some run time and see if what I built will hold up to the hard use we put a engine through would I consider making any for the public and then it would be on a one on one basis.

BTW I will be making another engine exactly like this one to test also, we'll find out if it was a fluke or not.
It doesn't take as long as a person might think to do the machining of the parts. More time was spent in preparing blueprints, fixtures, tooling and so on.

Richard.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow my guess of 7000-7500 was way low. You almost hit 8000. Now granted a Menz 22x8 is a little shorter than 22" but still that's a lot of RPM's. I bet you're getting at least 30# of thrust. I would only get 7000 max on my ZDZ 50NG with that prop. You must be having fun.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
coronabob

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

I said I would post the conditions so here they are.
1. Prop 22x8 3-W wood
2. 88 octane pump gas
3.Penz aircooled oil @ 32-1 ratio
4.Shop temp 65 degrees F
5. Outside temp minus 3 C
6 Density Alt 3500
7. alt 4500
8.engine temp at readings 170 F
9.dew point -6 C
10.Timing 28 degrees BTDC

I'd venture a guess that your applied knowledge succeeded in converting vibration-producing energy into the additional 500 rpms - no small feat. Did you use hand calculations, MathCAD, or some other method? Your data speaks volume!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Cyberwolf

I used to do allot of hop ups on the older snowmachines crank cases, heads and ports. I applied some of that experience to this engine. I did all the calcs by hand. It could have went either way I guess. But as it has turned out I have not touched the cylinder yet, and after watching the RPM's about all I am going to do is smooth up the ports a little and call it good.
I made a nice little port map to compair to other cylinders in the future.
And you are correct in thinking its a volume deal.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:43 PM
coronabob

Cyberwolf,

Do you have any plan to mass produce your engine?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Cyberwolf

I'm still kicking some idea's around, there's already a ton of 50-55's on the market now.
I will know more after I get all the testing done.
I have had several people contact me asking about one.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Super08

Hmmmmm
Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Cyberwolf

I almost forgot the most important part of this build. My Quality Control inspector, She gave the go ahead and gave it the paw of aproval.*S*.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47813.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1336801  
Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they don't smell right, they won't run right, eh pup?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Cyberwolf

*L* she went over it with a fine tooth paw ,and made sure everything was within half a puppy hair.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

You could build basicly the same engine and use a chainsaw cylinder.

The Stihl 066 is 90 something CC's and very strong.
There are numerous after market cylinders and pistons that are reasonably priced.

I have converted a 72cc Partners concrete saw and it is a real runner.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/72cc3holeMuffler-wmv
Notice in the first part of the video that I'm pushed back by the blast off the prop.

Like you said there are a lot of 50cc engines out there.

Here is a Twin cylinder Echo chainsaw motor I converted just to show you the possibilitys.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Mr-Mulligan62ccEcho-wmv

This airplane has a 110" wing span. Notice the zero vibration at the wing tips.

The possibility's are truely endless .... how about a 3 cylinder?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Cyberwolf

They look to run good, some tach readings and weight would be helpfull though.
Yes there is several 50CC engines out there, but there is alot of intrest in that size of plane right now, if you notice the 50CC planes are growing to where a run of the mill 50 CC engine won't fly them to good, at least not here at my alt.
Untill my testing is completed i'm not sure just what I am going to do.
But you are correct in saying it's unlimited as to what a person can do if they want to.
I did run the engine again today for another tank of fuel. RPM's around the same as the video. 7850-7900 fairly constant. Should improve a little after its fully broken in.
After the holidays are over then I can do some serious prop testing, outside I hope and see where I stand..
I'm not sure about a saw cylinder, I would have to look into the specs for weight and the power band.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Cyberwolf

I finally got some time and the holiday out of the way, So I was able to get some more time and tach readings with some other props.
I tried a Vess 22-A, way to many RPM's over 8 K I was going to stick a 22x10 Zinger Pro on it and changed my mind
A Vess 23 -A gave me what I was looking for I think? 7200 steady with one tach and 7300 with another, So I have a little difference there, why I don't know.
I didn't do any pull tests, with me being alone there is just to many things that can go wrong and fast. Maybe when the weather warms up and I can get it outside I may, but for now Pe's chart is good enough for me.
The engine idles at 1400 all day long after its warmed up a little and doesn't shake the plane to bits at that RPM.
I have some of the parts here to build another one, again thanks to my Wife and Jody At Valley View. When its done I'll mount it up and do the same sort of testing on it to see if they both run about the same.
Overall I'm very happy with the engine I think it will power that Yak very well. The planes a little heavy 18.5 lbs the way I have it set up.
Richard.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have the power, don't worry about the weight. I'm reasonably certain it will fly very well.

Bravo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.