Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuel Line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Line?

What are using for your gasser for fuel line inside the tank-This tygon is not holding up very well-gets very stiff quick-thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Line?

I use the black neoprene inside the tank

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD735&P=ML

Even then you need to replace it every year

Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to swear by Hayes neoprene. I had a lot of problems with it coming apart and gumming up my carb screen in two engines this summer. I finally gutted the tanks and re-did them with tygon. Problems are all gone but will return when the tygon gets stiff. Stiff clunk lines can be disastrous to a plane.

This is what I'll use when I re-plumb my tanks this winter when the snow falls:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#5119k41/=48tdw2

It's called Viton and is supposed to be very good for clunk line. But only use it inside the tanks of course. It's not cheap. I've heard that this is what many commercial engine applications use (weed wackers, snow blowers etc). Doesn't deteriorate or stiffen up. Lasts a long time.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

I used to swear by Hayes neoprene. I had a lot of problems with it coming apart and gumming up my carb screen in two engines this summer. I finally gutted the tanks and re-did them with tygon. Problems are all gone but will return when the tygon gets stiff. Stiff clunk lines can be disastrous to a plane.

It's called Viton and is supposed to be very good for clunk line. But only use it inside the tanks of course. It's not cheap. I've heard that this is what many commercial engine applications use (weed wackers, snow blowers etc). Doesn't deteriorate or stiffen up. Lasts a long time.
That looks like some good stuff

$3.61/ft seems rather high priced but if it saves you model . . . .

Old 10-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Walt and Sage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU for the info...
THREE feet can do a number of tanks...

I am going to try some....
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 AM
JoeAirPort

Credit goes to smarter guys than me who have recommended it. There's a guy named Lee (RCaddiction) on the other site that told me about it. There are guys on this site that know about it and like it too. I ordered three feet to do my two tanks on my gassers. I have two clunk tanks so that's 2 foot right there. [X(]

Upon examining it when it arrived, looks and feels very flexible. In between tygon and neoprene. Thing is it should stay felxible and not stiffen up on you. Let's hope this is the end of our search for the best clunk gas line. I know I'm tired of looking.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Walt and Sage

I placed an order today, THANKs
Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM
PLANE JIM

thanks for the info-jmc
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I have some on the way from my engine supplier. He recommends it as well. Some of my planes are due to have the tanks replumbed this winter so they will be getting some to try.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 AM
kwhite.6

Has anyone tried the K&S Sta-flex fuel line? The price looks good from Tower for a 25' roll.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

At the website it states that "To be used for = Ethylene Glycol, water" are you sure it is OK to use with gasoline?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I think I was one of those "old posters" about using the Viton....it's not a secret...it works perfectly, stays soft and pliable, and is absolutely gas/oil proof. It's perfect for smoke systems, too, because of the temp. resistance.
The only two drawbacks (and they are not a problem for many) is the stuff is expensive, and it's not transparent.
I prefer total reliability and long life, so neither of those are obstacles to me.

Use the Viton....you won't regret it, and many of us haveused it for years.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:41 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

At the website it states that ''To be used for = Ethylene Glycol, water'' are you sure it is OK to use with gasoline?
Where did you get the Hayes fuel line that gummed up? I hope it was not Tower H. because that is where I just bought some Hayes fuel line. I have used it before with no problem????
Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Texastbird

I just got some of the Hayes from Tower to try and it looks kind of flattened out. I'm afraid to try it after hearing some of the comments about it. Maybe I will get some Viton tubing.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

The Hayes that fell apert on me was from Tower.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's the chemical compatibiity chart for Tygon tubing, the yellow stuff is F 4040 A. You can judge for yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tr49709.pdf (76.3 KB, 752 views)
Old 10-31-2009, 10:07 AM
PLANE JIM

that is way above my head.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:18 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Super08

The Hayes that fell apert on me was from Tower.
OH Sh_T looks like I am going to get rid of that line[:@][:@] Tower probably buys the rejected batch at a lower $$$
Old 10-31-2009, 11:23 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

At the website it states that ''To be used for = Ethylene Glycol, water'' are you sure it is OK to use with gasoline?
Where did you get the Hayes fuel line that gummed up? I hope it was not Tower H. because that is where I just bought some Hayes fuel line. I have used it before with no problem????
Yes I got it from Tower. Many people started to have it come apart on them (there are recent threads here I think). I had my carb screens plugging up. Since getting rid of the Hayes this problem is gone. I used to think the Hayes neoprene was the best stuff in the world. Oh well. One nice thing about Viton is that I no longer have to break my clunk line in two with a brass nipple in the middle (because the Hayes was too flexible). I think the Viton won't need it. It's flexible but not as flexible as Hayes. And I've heard that Viton stays the same, doesn't stiffen up. They better not change the formula for Viton now !!!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Bass1

One nice thing about Viton is that I no longer have to break my clunk line in two with a brass nipple in the middle (because the Hayes was too flexible). I think the Viton won't need it. It's flexible but not as flexible as Hayes
You just answered my next question cause' it's plumbing season all over again!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Ed

Does the Viton come in different diameters ?

What diameter am I looking for using G-26 thru G-62 size engines ?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 PM
w8ye

Soft, 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD, 1/16" Wall, Black
Old 10-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Ed

" ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Use the Viton....you won't regret it, and many of us have used it for years. "

WOW ! Hey Bob, at $3.61 per foot, how sure are you that this stuff will hold up ?

Last time I heard, was that Hayes black neoprene was the ultimate tubing, and now I read where it's going bad ? ? ?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Bass1

Some info from an older thread.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90..._1/key_/tm.htm