Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

1/3 scale sopwith pup

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 PM
hewismayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 scale sopwith pup

I am in the process of building a 1/3 scale pup, and most of the people use the G62. Most of the people in Europe ate using the g38 with a Toni Clark reduction system. I have a G38 and a Poulan converted chainsaw engine 42cc. MT makes a 62 cc with electronic advance ignition. I also have a DLE 55 that can turn a 24x8 prop at around 7000 rpm that can generate 5.5 hp and develops 14 kg of thrust at 1000 ft. That’s almost enough power to hover the pup. My friend also wants to sell me a 100 cc not sure what it is but it has a magneto. So it’s heavy he says it runs great, but they all say that when they want to sell it.
The Toni Clark reduction system is over $500 to Canada and $100 for the 32x18 prop. But I really like the way they fly so scale like. I under stand in this plane you need about 7 lbs to balance the plane. With the DLE I would need 3lbs more and the prop is a little small, but should be enough power to fly it well. The 100 could turn a 28” prop and would look more scale like, there would be more than enough wt to balance, and I might have to add wt to the tail. Right now money is an issue because I just started a job after being unemployed for a year and a half. any input woud be helpfull. thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 12:34 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: 1/3 scale sopwith pup

I have MT62s, with a few tweaks they run great, more than enough power. You need weight though in those WWI planes so a old G62 with a mag might be the way to go. I've got a 100cc GR Pro twin which runs great, very smooth but has the power of an 80cc might work even better.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
hewismayer

Do you think it would be ok to use the DLE 55, and add wt to the nose? Balsa USA says I could use my 42cc Poulan, just to use a big prop, like a 24x6 or bigger. But everyone says to use a big engine like the g62. I tried to get a MT 62 but they stopped making them. I might be able to get one on eBay. But it’s about the same as the DLE. The 100 cc my friend wants to sell me is a single cylinder, with a spring start decompression valve and a magneto. I think he wants $250 for it. Does any one have this plane and think the DLE is enough or should I go bigger.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM
soarrich

DLE 55 will have more than enough power. I have five MT62 NIB if you want to buy one. I also have a couple 100cc Quadras off drones that where setup for mechanical ignitions, it would be easy to convert them to EI, and I have 100cc twin that runs great that would work. With that said if you want to save money just use the DLE55, I have the DL50 which is it's predecessor and it runs as good as any DA I've seen. The 1/3 Pup is big, 4400 squares, but it flies on the wing, the full size one only had ~80 hp.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
hewismayer

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. I was going to buy an engine from china last weekend, called an SV 90; I haven’t heard any good things about these engines. The last thing you want in the air is a bum engine. Any one I have talked to about the MT say they are good engines. I was sold on that last weekend, when I found out MT stopped making them. That’s when I went to the DLE because my friends who own them love them. But now I was wondering if I made the right choice. The DLE is light at 3.5lbs; it is more suited for a 88” edge or cap. I think the new MT 80 would be great for this plane or the DLE 111 but I just started a job 5 months ago, for almost half of what I used to get in pay. I am selling planes to finance this project, so maybe I should be happy with what I have, and just get on with the build. The MT 62 you have, are they new, and how much are you asking? Again thank you for the input.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
soarrich

Yes, they are NIB. I bought 6, my friend was an importer and didn't want to commit to the dozen they wanted him to buy so I told him I'd take half of them. Here's a link to a video of me flying it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyyK6zVPV34
I've got all the MT engines with the exception of the MT80, I was told it's a real shaker. The 42 runs fine, but I broke a crank on it once, I don't know if that was a problem or just bad luck. The 50 is a nice engine, funny looking but mine runs fine after I changed the reeds. The 57 may make a little more power than the 62, but had some teething problems. The 62s run great once you time them, I changed my rotator block, the stock one is too soft. The 80 shakes. The 62 is the best engine they make. I'd sell one for $290 with the engine timed and a replacement rotator block.

I didn't mean to be trying to sell you an engine, it's just that I bid on 3 of the 1/3 Pups on eBay, I keep losing by a couple of dollars so I'd up my bid on the next one and still lose by a couple of dollars[:@] so I was interested in the Pup it's really a big plane, but a floater.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:52 PM
hewismayer

I bought the kit in Toledo last spring. It started with me converting my old chainsaw engine, and I was looking for a plane to put it in. when I saw these planes fly on you tube I was sold on just the size of these planes. But then I found my Poulan was on the bottom of the scale for engines on this plane. The cowl is 14” and a 24 “prop only sticks out 5”. But some one was telling me that only the last 2” is what makes the thrust. Then I found out most guys use the G62, and it works well. But after seeing the plane fly with the Toni Clark reduction system, I thought I could make one for the Poulan but it’s too much trouble. That’s when I figured I would go to the G62 but its $600 from the local hobby shop then I found out about the MT62 and the price is right and I found out they are good engines. I will let you know. I have an Astro Hog and a Twist for sale in the local hobby shop, and keep trying on EBay. It’s the seller he’s not happy with the price. And $290 is a good price for the MT 62. Thank you
Old 11-26-2009, 02:25 AM
tubave
Banned

I think u should try DLA56cc first,I believe u can so better:

DLA56:Performance:<o></o>

5.5HP/7600rpm (DLE55 =5.5HP/7500rpm)<o></o>

Idle Speed: 1400 rpm/min.DLE55 1350 rpm/min<o></o>

15.2Kg Pulling Force / 100 meters Altitude(14.2kg for DLE55)<o></o>

13.5Kg Pulling Force / 1800 meters Altitude(12.5kg for DLE55)<o></o>

The specification of the aircraft propeller: 22*8, 22*10, 23*8, 23*10<o></o>

The type of the sparking plug :NGK CM6made in Japan(NGKCM6 made in China for DLE55)<o></o>

Parameter:<o></o>

Exhaust Amount : 56cm<sup>3</sup>(DLE55 =55.6cm<sup>3</sup>)<o></o>

Diameter*stroke : 45mm*35mm <o></o>

Ratio of compression: 7.8:1 (7.6:1 for DLE55)<o></o>

Ratio of lubricating capacity: 30:1 飞起来是401<o></o>

Weight[/b]: <o></o>

Less 25g than current DLE55.<o></o>

Material of Muffer and[/b] crank case:[/b] aluminium magnesium alloy[/b] (Aluminum Alloy for DLE55)<o></o>