Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

oil mix ratios

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: oil mix ratios

I run a quality synthetic at 40-to-1 and have no issues with my engines. I have friends that run 100-to-1 and claim the engine produces more power. If that is true, just how much more power can reasonably be generated by running that percentage?

I mean, realistically, is a couple of hundred rpm's really worth it? The oil difference is about 1.28 ounces versus about 3 ounces. Oil is cheap when you consider all the other costs associated with our hobby. Why not run the engine with a little more oil? Heck, compared to the 20% I run in my glow engines, this is a minor point.

Just asking for the input from one of the experts like T.O.M. or Jody.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stihl Ultra HP in white bottles has been replaced by Stihl Ultra in grey bottles. Same thing different packaging.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to the controversy.... I fly at a field shared with an ultralight club. From what Ive seen, none of those guys run less than 50:1 oil. And 'ol fashioned mineral oils like Penzoil seem to be quite popular.

If its good enough when your life can depend on it, its good enough for me.

Penzoil 32:1. Simple. cheap. Goes in everything including the weed wacker and the chainsaw....
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If less oil equals more power just imagine how much more power you could obtain using no oil........
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Moki 1.8
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The orange bottle is mineral oil like the Pennzoil

The Stihl Dealer near my house only had the Orange last year. Now he has both.
Should I run a few gallons with the stihl mineral oil and then switch over to the ultra synthetic?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Eagleburger

I use the local dino oil at 29:1. Its cheap, I am cheap so it suits me great. It must have a good dose of detergent in it. I replaced a muffler on a DL-50 after ~15gal and it was spotless inside except for a 5 o'clock shadow on top of the piston that could be rubbed off with a cotton bud.

At that point, had I been using redline or sthil at 40:1, I would have had to pay an extra $85 for the privilege. Incidentally, $85 is a 1/4 of the new price of the engine.

The engine has since burned another 25gal and shows no sign of quitting anytime soon.

On my DA-100 I save $1 per flight, 1200 flights I save enough to pay for a new motor.

The price you pay may be different so do your own calculatiions

Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moki 1.8

Should I run a few gallons with the stihl mineral oil and then switch over to the ultra synthetic?
Sounds good to me

Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Moki 1.8
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Moki 1.8

Sounds good to me

Yea ill probly run it for a while being that I bought 6 bottles of it lol. I ran my dle-30 with it yesterday and it did fine, mixed at 4oz of oil to one gallon of gas. Once I use it all im gonna switch over to the ultra synthetic
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Tired Old Man

Why change? Almost all the air cooled oils work just fine if you use enough of them. The mineral Stihl is no different. It's a good oil. Eagleburger has it together.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

If less oil equals more power just imagine how much more power you could obtain using no oil........
Lol
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I still would be interested in how much power they may be gaining running 100-to-one mixtures.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Ed

If I were to switch now from a 100:1 oil ratio to a 40:1 ratio, in which direction could I expect to have to retune my engines ? Leaner, or richer ?

Ed
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Tired Old Man

Leaner normally, but that depends on where it was at before.

Regarding a gain in rpm with less oil. Doesn't happen that way. The best power would be made with a cold engine since that would be the best ring seal. Lean ratio engines have proven to much more tuning tempermental that denser oil engines. Some big money flyers found that out at contests. Changing oils and ratios to more oil from less provided them better tuning consistency and more power. If we had larger engines with more inner surface and fin area we might benefit, or at least make the most of lean oil ratios but that is not the case. Oil is not just about lubrication. It seves several other very important functions as well. Short any one or combination of them and the engine suffers.

For some interesting reading people might want to do a search about service intervals with ultralight engines. Those running lean ratio Amsoil have to service their engines more frequently. However, those that that want to use the stuff should feel free to do so. The bottom line is the engine belongs to them and they can do whatever they want, as it should be.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Ed

If I were to switch now from a 100:1 oil ratio to a 40:1 ratio, in which direction could I expect to have to retune my engines ? Leaner, or richer ?

Ed
It depends if you're talking petro or syntho. In general the 100:1 syntho to 40:1 syntho would need them richened. With less gas and more oil in the mixture, you need to compensate by adding more gas to the fuel:air mixture using the needles. Just do a retune either direction you go and it'll be fine. Changing oils and not re-tuning is a recipe for disaster. Especially in the case you're asking about (siezed engine because it would run lean). 100:1 to 40:1 is a huge change in oil:gas mixture.

PS: The above assumes it was tuned perfectly to begin with.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Ed

TOM says leaner .................... Joe AP says richer ????????????? I'm using synthetic Amsoil at 100:1, and going to synthetic Red Line at 40:1.

Which way can I expect to adjust my Carbs guys ?

Ed
Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you know your stuff, you will tune the engine to run correctly
Old 08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Tired Old Man

I could have been wrong since I never pay attention to which way the needles go when I re-tune. A little this way, then a little that. Unless I have a CO meter I go by ear. I just make the engine run right, which is what anyone should do
Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
JoeAirPort

I agree with both of you. Quoted from my last post "Just do a retune either direction you go and it'll be fine.".
Old 08-18-2010, 07:41 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

If the oil burns as is the case with Pennzoil aircooled, the engine is tuned with needle valves more closed than mixtures which burn only (or mostly) gasoline. From some testing I conducted a few years ago, needles had to be opened when Amsoil 100:1 and non-burning synthetic oils like Belray 1HR were used compared to Pennzoil air cooled.

Hope this helps

Elson
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: rc bugman

Hi,

If the oil burns as is the case with Pennzoil aircooled, the engine is tuned with needle valves more closed than mixtures which burn only (or mostly) gasoline. From some testing I conducted a few years ago, needles had to be opened when Amsoil 100:1 and non-burning synthetic oils like Belray 1HR were used compared to Pennzoil air cooled.

Hope this helps

Elson

Thank you Elson, it helped totally. It was a lot more definitive answer.

Thanks > Ed

Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 AM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

As for why a DA likes more oil with some brands of oil is something I'm not at liberty to discuss. However, they function quite well and for a very long period of time at 40-1. More oil is always better anyway, so it's a moot point.
Hi T.O.M.
1st, thank you for all your knowledge that you share with all of us. I follow your forums and thanks to you and Jody I have made fine choice's. Im useing Stihl Ultra 50 to1 in a DA50R. only 2.5 gallons so far. If it was you, would u also go up to 40 to 1 with the Stihl Ultra in my DA?
Also 1 last ques. I did not do any break in, went right with this mix. please let me know if u think i did worng so i do not keep making the same mistake on future engines.
thanks,
ka9fax
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Tired Old Man

I use one oil and ratio for break in and runnng. The only difference is how the engine is run. The more oil you ue the longer the break in. However, more oil removes break in wear particulates faster and more completely than less oil. This is one of those personal choice areas, like so many others.

Based on what I've seen I would run a DA on a 40-1 mix. It's not so important with a lightly loaded engine but is with a heavily loaded one. RC does not load an engine heavily, but their are long term benefits of a little more oil. Less piston scuffing being one of them.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc bugman

Hi,

Hope this helps

Elson
<hr />The reason is simple why the needles had to be opened. That extra gas brings with it extra oil to lube the engine correctly.With amix of oil at 100-1, any kind of lean-out, that engine is going to be in trouble. Capt,n
Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

I think that the needles need to opened more with non burning oils because when oil burns it contributes to the power of the engine. Without the burning oil component, more gasoline is required to achieve the same engine power. In my tests run a few years ago, fuel consumption increased by about 15% with amsoil at 100:1 and Belray 1HR at 50:1. For most RC applications, extra fuel consumption is not a problem. For some of us, the extra 15% fuel load is an issue and we stay with oil which contributes to engine power by burning.

Elson
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

I use one oil and ratio for break in and runnng. The only difference is how the engine is run. The more oil you ue the longer the break in. However, more oil removes break in wear particulates faster and more completely than less oil. This is one of those personal choice areas, like so many others.

Based on what I've seen I would run a DA on a 40-1 mix. It's not so important with a lightly loaded engine but is with a heavily loaded one. RC does not load an engine heavily, but their are long term benefits of a little more oil. Less piston scuffing being one of them.
Thank You T.O.M. Will do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.