Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

oil mix ratios

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil mix ratios

People talk about having a tan spark plug electrode with the correct fuel mixture.
Will this mean the exhaust pipe be free of dark oily residue also?
My ZDZ 40 runs good at the needles settings, but I still clean off a small amount of oil & pipes are dark.
Yep, I am using Amsoil 80-1....but soon Redline 50-1
Jim
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, you'll still have some oil and carbon in the pipe.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 AM
MikeP51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings Folks,

I am a first time DA 50 owner. Bought it used as a package deal. Was told it had about 2 gal through it and that seems fair. I've flown it maybe 10 times, 10 minutes each. Anyway I have a few questions.

1 Has anyone experienced carbon build-up running Amsoil Saber 100:1 premix at anything less than 100:1?

2. Are most DA 50 owners finding that Redline racing oil 50:1 mixed at 40:1 offering the best blend of performance and lubrication?

3. I have recently started experiencing what I perceive as a problem. When I grab the tail and start to walk the airplane to the runway, i.ei push it forward, the motor slows and dies. It then seams to take a bit more effort to start it than usual. I am sure it must have something to do with fuel flow but what? It only happens when I push the airplane forward. Any ideas would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,
MikeP51
Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That problem was addressed probably 3 years ago with an update by DA. Send it in. They will probably put all other updates on it as well. I believe your particular problem is addressed by rotating the carb or block or both. The pulse line ends up on the other side of where it used to etc etc. That's my best recollection of that issue. Puddling of fuel in the reed block....then you jar the plane and it shakes the fuel onto the plug.....flame out. Many people would land and the engine would die as soon as the wheels touched the ground.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Tired Old Man

They altered the reed assembly and positioning somewhat to present a correction.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Better not tell the professional two stroke racers that more oil is bad. Not unless you like uncontrolled laughter at your expense. If you're into power and run hard you could find yourself running at 16-1 in a New York second. Yes, ratios have to be tuned specific to the mix. Once you've established the ratio you tune the mixture. That's air/fuel mixture not oil/fuel mixture. The latter tuning takes care of itself when you tune the former. That's something well understood by anyone that seriously uses two strokes. Change the oil type, ratio, and/or propeller and plan on retuning. Same with fuel types.

Amsoil makes carbon, and a very hard layer of it indeed. The only question is the amount of time needed, and that's determined by the engine owner. Too many of us that run engines hard and get them warmer than most RC two strokes learned this long ago. One last thought. If other oils do a better job of cleaning, lubricating, and cooling an engine when more is used, also increasing power in the process, what make Amsoil better? It certainly does not improve with quantity, and it hates heat, which is often generated when less oil is used.
Yep when i raced karts lots of guys ran super synthetics @ very lean ratios. They were never faster than me.Rarely did they run as fast at the end of a race .Hell most of them didnt finish a race.I ran yamalube 2r @16:1.My engines lasted all season.After a full year running the engines had little carbon and the piston skirt and upper rod bearings were like new...Oil aids in heat transfer from the piston and rings into the cylinder walls were it came then be cooled by the fins..
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Mike Miller

After reading this thread I would like to say how much I appreciate the amount of expertise and knowledge that some of you have provided. Now my question. I ordered some redline oil after browsing through this thread and some other ones. It arrived today and aparently I made a mistake and ordered the "all sports two stroke oil" instead of the racing oil. Do I need to send it back or run it? I know that there is a difference, but unfortuneately don't know exactly what the difference is. I have the time to return it for the racing oil if needed.

Thanks again guys
Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Tired Old Man

There is a difference. Redline makes several oil formulas and what you have will not be the best selection for your engines. Better to do it right the first time and not have to fix something later. Or read the instruction label to find out how it should be mixed for an air cooled engine and do as it says.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM
MikeP51

Gentlemen, thanks for all your help. I did talk to Jeff at DA today. Sounds like all I have to do is rotate the reed block 180. May not get it done till next week but will post results. Thanks again.

MikeP51
Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=19&pcid=16
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: MikeP51

Gentlemen, thanks for all your help. I did talk to Jeff at DA today. Sounds like all I have to do is rotate the reed block 180. May not get it done till next week but will post results. Thanks again.

MikeP51
Jeff at DA is DaMan !