Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Stihl Ultra Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Stihl Ultra Synthetic Oil

There's a Stihl dealer about 3/4 mile from my house where I can get the Ultra and Walbro repair kits
Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also been looking to get better 2 stroke oil and a friend suggested the STHL Full synthetic 2 stroke oil with stabilizers. I went to Home Depot and Lowes but all they had were many brands of Synthetic Blend 2 stroke oils with stabilizers. The STHL is Full Synthetic but is that a big difference from a synthetic Blend. Also does the stabilizer help the gasoline not gum up from the ethanol. Ethanol is a big problem in California Gas and small air cooled engines don't like it. Right now I am using the Penzoil Small Engine Air Cooled 2 stroke oil and it's good for larger engines 26cc and up -in break in, but for smaller engines like my Evolution 10cc It seems to be running hot in the air with. Runs great on the ground but once in the air it starts overheating. The needles are set on the rich side.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Checked my VVRC 20 cc today when the muffler got loose, lost a screw and almost the second. I checked the piston and cyl. , both looked well lubed with oil present on all parts. I use Stihl Syn. @ 50 to 1 mix, the engine is at about 2 gallons, 92 oct.
non ethonol. This little engine is really strong and from what I can see well lubed! I intend on staying with this mix until proven otherwise.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:32 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Basil Yousif
I have also been looking to get better 2 stroke oil and a friend suggested the STHL Full synthetic 2 stroke oil with stabilizers. I went to Home Depot and Lowes but all they had were many brands of Synthetic Blend 2 stroke oils with stabilizers. The STHL is Full Synthetic but is that a big difference from a synthetic Blend. Also does the stabilizer help the gasoline not gum up from the ethanol. Ethanol is a big problem in California Gas and small air cooled engines don't like it. Right now I am using the Penzoil Small Engine Air Cooled 2 stroke oil and it's good for larger engines 26cc and up -in break in, but for smaller engines like my Evolution 10cc It seems to be running hot in the air with. Runs great on the ground but once in the air it starts overheating. The needles are set on the rich side.
Generally, you will need to find/go to a Stihl dealer to get the HP Ultra synthetic. It is an excellent lubricant and I have used it exclusively in my engines for years. Da100, DLE111, DLE170, DA150 and a DA170. All stayed clean internally and never a mechanical failure on any of them.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Buy the 6 pack, it will last a long time and never be cheaper. I noted a post mention cost of various oils, it is so minor why even consider it? Buy the good stuff in the first place.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Buy the 6 pack, it will last a long time and never be cheaper. I noted a post mention cost of various oils, it is so minor why even consider it? Buy the good stuff in the first place.
+1
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Stihl Ultra at 40:1 in everything but I heard somewhere that Stihl has a short shelf life and begins to break down so if you buy it....use it.
Of course I have been hearing that same story about glow fuel and that all depends on how you store it, whether it has been opened, how
much was in the container...etc. Leaving any container of lube or fuel half full ( or empty ) allows for the contents to degrade. I believe that if
you have a part bottle of anything that is going to sit for a while it should be put in a smaller container and sealed tight.

Anyone else heard about the shelf life of Stihl HP Ultra being 6-8 months even in a factory sealed bottle?

I also forgot to mention that I use "Pure Gas" or Av Gas and never pump gas in my gassers.

"Pure Gas" is guaranteed no ethanol and avgas is much better than pump gas.

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 08-11-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:05 PM
jonesjj3
My Feedback: (16)

I would like to hear about this also as I get it by the gallon and I have some left from 2 yrs ago
Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I buy the 5.2 ounce bottles in a 6-pack and open as needed and leave the others with the seals intact till needed.
The lube I am running this year is left over from my purchase last year. I have not had any issues but would like
to hear from anyone that has the "skinny" on shelf life of Stihl HP Ultra.

Maybe we can get Jedi Jody or TOM to chime in on this one.

w8ye....you are a trusted source...what do you think or know about this subject?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

So how would you know if the stuff you buy hasn't been on the shelf for 2 years. Sounds fishy to me.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

That is a good question. I just went out and looked at my bottles and there is a batch / lot number on the bottles but no expiration date.
Kinda like my models. No expiration date on any of them but I know there is one somewhere!

Much talk here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1950299/2

They are saying something about a "biodegradable" label on the bottle? My bottles don't have that label.

Sorry guys.....I didn't want to open up a box of roaches. Just curious and asking questions.

My engines run great on it and very clean burning too. After run in period I switch to Stihl HP and almost always
pick up another 200 RPM.

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 08-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

This is made from fossil oil. Any oil product has been around for millions of years deep underground - it doesn't get old in a few years.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Synthetic..........fossil oil? What did I miss here?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Super08

Yup, the majority of "synthetic oils are made from oil. Only a very few oils are a true synthetic API Group 4 Polyalphaolefins. (PAO)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Cool..........I learned something today. So Stihl HP Ultra is not a true synthetic. What about REDLINE?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did a Google search and found the information straight from the horse's mouth....or Stihl's in this case:

I emailed Sthil on this question and here's their response::
greenchainsaw:
Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
We are in the process of having this information changed, as stated,
because it is confusing.
What it should say is Sthil Ultra,"the oil is bio-degradable in 21 days in direct
sunlight."
It will not degrade in the bottle or fuel can but we recommend that you
never use fuel that is more than 90 days

So have no fear of using 'old' Ultra HP Oil....it's all good
Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Super08

Originally Posted by Speedy-Gonzales
Cool..........I learned something today. So Stihl HP Ultra is not a true synthetic. What about REDLINE?
Nope didn't say that. I never looked it up, but it wouldn't take long. The general term "synthetic" used for these oils are in the way they are processed. They are still far and above a regular "dyno" oil.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Hinckley Bill

Straight from Stihl HP Ultra MSDS

Chemical Name: Petroleum Distillates, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
CAS#: 474254-7
Weight%: Blend

So yes since it does contain 'dino oil' (as some refer to petroleum based products) it is not 100% synthetic

But if it performs the desired function it really doesn't make much difference now does it

Last edited by Hinckley Bill; 08-12-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Hinckley Bill

BTW....

For those 'curious' about what OIL definitions mean......

API Base OIL definitions
Group I
Group I base stocks contain less than 90 percent saturates and/or greater than .03 percent sulfur and have viscosity index greater than or equal to 80 and less than 120.

Group II
Group II base stocks contain greater than or equal to 90 percent saturates and less than or equal to .03 percent sulfur and have viscosity index greater than or equal to 80 and less than 120.

Group III
Group III base stocks contain greater than or equal to 90 percent saturates and less than or equal to .03 percent sulfur and have viscosity index greater than or equal to 120.

Group IV
Group IV base stocks are polyalphaolefins (PAO).

Group V
Group V base stocks include all other base stocks not included in Group I, II, III, IV

Comment- Group III and IV are considered synthetic fluid in North America and most of europe

Comment-Group I and II oils are not marketed as synthetic fluids. However they may be the major component of a "sythetic blend"

Comment-"sythetic Blends" are not defined by API but are defined here as containing an undefined portion of either group II or group IV (and sometimes group V)-all of which are synthetic fluids. Most reputable suppliers require 10% or more synthetic in the fluid in order to sell it as a synthetic blend.

Comment-Generally, groupe V fluids are thought to be synthetic. However naphthenic oils do not fall into API group I, II, III, or IV because their Viscosity Index is below 80, so they would fall into group V. Therefore API group V are not always synthetic fluids.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 AM
willig10

If I may. Stihl ultra is great stuff. Now about the response from them. It is jusr a recommendation. They are not going to place themselves in a position to be liable for a mix that is considered "old".

that said, I use stihl ultra mixed at 32:1 on everything. My aircraft engines, my weed eater, chainsaw and blower etc. I am using fuel mix from a gallon jug that is well over a year old with no issues whatsoever.

I won't use anything else. You can take that to the bank.

Glenn
Old 08-12-2014, 12:44 PM
rk2648

I switched to stihl ultra about 6 months ago in my DLE 55, seems to run great. I am still mixing 30:1 though am I using too much ? What would be the problem with the 30:1 mix?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM
littlera

I have used Stihl Ultra is everything airplane related since day 1 with gas. I use it at 40:1 with 93 octane ethanol free gasoline. Their lawn tools are great too, as I have several. I figured the should know the right oil to use in their stuff. They extend the warranties on some tools if you use Ultra. I expect this is a marketing ploy designed to upsell you on oil, but it still builds confidence in the oil. I have a Stihl string trimmer that runs like a Swiss watch after 28 years of weekly use. I have changed the spark plug once or twice - that's it.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Super08

I have been using it in everything of mine for 2 years now. I buy it by the case. I think it was a case of 24 or 48, I forget now. Inside the case there are a bunch of six packs shrink wrapped.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
We are in the process of having this information changed, as stated,
because it is confusing.
What it should say is Sthil Ultra,"the oil is bio-degradable in 21 days in direct
sunlight."
It will not degrade in the bottle or fuel can but we recommend that you
never use fuel that is more than 90 days old.