Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Stihl Ultra Synthetic Oil

Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM
jonesjj3
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stihl Ultra Synthetic Oil

Is there anyone using this oil? I have heard that it is a better alternative from some people than Amsoil for the engs with the harder chrome cyl.

Would anyone like to comment on this oil ? I have used it in my lawn equptment with good results so far but wondering about running it my airplanes, Zenoha, FPE, RCGF.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Stihl Ultra Synthetic Oil

as i told you on FG forum, Stilh is really good oil and get rid or the amsoil before it eats your engine. Call www.valleyviewrc.com with Jody he can help you with oil questions.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff I switched to Redline Racing and have been very pleased witht he results. It can be hard to find in some areas though. As for the Stilh I have heard nothing but good about it.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM
AJsToyz

This was cut from another thread and it was written by "Tired Old Man" so it should be very helpful.

If you have it locally, Stihl HP Ultra, a synthetic, mixed at 50-1, will work in every engine you have. If you can't find it, there are several other synthetics that work just fine. Redline is very good but you can't find that locally, though most motorcycle shops should carry it, along with Motul 800, another very good oil. Bel Ray oils work well if not run too hot, and mixed within the manufacturer suggested ratios. In no event do you want to mix leaner than 50-1 with them. One of them is limited to 40-1. There are also several minerals that work extremely well when mixed no leaner than 40-1. Stihl and Echo are VERY good. The Pennzoil Air Cooled is a good oil but I would not break in with it. Doesn't pass the combustion and wear particulates as well as it could and a lot of that stuff slides by the ring, scoring the skirt. Once you strat using more of a better oil you'll likely note a couple of interesting things. The engines will be easier to tune and they will produce a little more consistent power. By consistent I mean the engines will seem to be more stable throughout the rpm band. That will not be accidental. It's part of what an oil does by creating a better ring seal.

If you are able to find the HP Ultra you will immediately note a lot of crud suddenly exiting the exhaust stacks. Don't worry. That's all the Amsoil carbon being cleaned out of the engine. Most of the other synthetics and minerals would be doing the same thing. It will take a couple of hours of running time to complete the clean out process. Without going into a long song and dance, IMO, Amsoil is at the bottom of the synthetic food chain.

You're not looking to maintain a clean and polished look on the combustion and piston dome, or exhaust port. Using a whole bunch (32-1) of a mineral will do that but all that extra oil only provides that tiny bit of benefit. A little carbon accumulation over the course of 100 hours or so is not a bad thing or a big deal. Simply clean that small amount of stuff out of the engine every couple of years. Prolly about the same time you might need to change the plug in a reasonably tuned engine. Of course everything above presumes people are tuning their engines and not running them as they were when they were removed from the box they arrived in. Those that elect to ignore engine tuning should anticipate a whole bunch of different engine issues that will occur at various points in the life cycle.

Just to get everyone's goat, Wal Mart 2 stroke oil is pretty good stuff when mixed at 32-1. Like the Pennzoil at the same ratio, and like any other 32-1 mix, it's kind of messy. From this point on I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show that is assured to present itself.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM
jonesjj3

Wow some great feed back here, The Stihl Ultra Oil is very plentiful here where I live, comes in the little one gal pre mix bottles or quarts I think the little bottles are 2.6oz for 1 gal I think that is like 50:1 right?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Super08

That is correct, 2.56 if you want to split hairs
128/50=2.56

Here is a link to a handy online calculator I use:

http://www.zrcgf.com/pages/Articles_...asoilRatioCalc
Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had business at the local stihl dealer above my house Friday, and they no longer have the Ultra. All they carry is the Stihl mineral oil and Lawn Boy.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
jonesjj3

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I had business at the local stihl dealer above my house Friday, and they no longer have the Ultra. All they carry is the Stihl mineral oil and Lawn Boy.
Did they say why the quit carrying the Ultra?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Super08

..as everyone runs out the door to go and buy up any local supplies.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the Sthil dealer is trying to sell what he has on the shelf rather than re-order. There's plenty of the HP Ultra out there and there's no concern of running out any time soon.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Super08

Pat your taking the fun out of this
Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
AJsToyz

Synthetics usually cost more and some people will complain. Out where my brother lives you won't get people to pay the extra for there lawn equipment they want cheap. I started running synthetic in my chainsaw for two reasons, 1) I sold my Banshee and had a full quart of Torco that I was not about to throw out. 2) I was getting tired of smelling the oil from my saw and leaf blower. The synthetics seem to have less odor and smoke. The benefit? My leaf blower is actually running better and my saw is perking up too. It could be all in my mind too but I'm happy.

Andy
Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM
jonesjj3

I will give the Ultra a try my flying is Scale not 3D but I do want my eng's to run there best dont mind spending a little more on oil, heck I have over grand in some of my planes and to spend a couple dollars more for oil to keep that expensive eng running it's best is worth it.

Our flying season is pretty short here in Northern IL and I dont want to spend any of it with and eng down for what ever reason.

If the oil ratio is correct for the blend and the needles are set right with the correct prop (which could take a few to try) for the flying style of that particular ship the plug should be a lite coffee brown, do most agree on that?

I was wondering if most know what there plug gap is? I never pay much attention to it, just run what ever gap it came with, that is probably not the thing to do though, I am thinking somewhere between 20-25 thousandths, is there a more correct way to know what it should be?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using it at 50:1 and my engines run great. The oil cleans off the bottom of the plane much easier. The petro stuff really stains white covering.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did a inspection on my DLE30cc for the first time and it is clean as clean can be. I used 4 oz of Air cooled Pennzoil to .95 95/100 of a gallon of gas. You can still see the lathe marks from machining. I done may heat cycles from the start. Good oil! Capt,n PS I did not clean the engine for the photo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49088.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1329197  
Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Jonesjj3, Who do you get your Stihl Ultra from? I haven't been able to find it. I could have sworn Home Depot used to sell it a couple years ago, but they don't have it now.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 PM
jonesjj3

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I just did a inspection on my DLE30cc for the first time and it is clean as clean can be. I used 4 oz of Air cooled Pennzoil to .95 95/100 of a gallon of gas. You can still see the lathe marks from machining. I done may heat cycles from the start. Good oil! Capt,n PS I did not clean the engine for the photo
Well Seeing is believing it sure is clean!

gkamysz,
I can get it at our local John Deer Dealer (meridan implament) and a place called (Lincoln Rental) both are here in Rockford IL if you are going to any of the swap meets in Wheaton Il, Rockford swap meet or Fox Valley I could get some and bring it with me for you if you can not find it where you are at. You may have seen me at some of those swapmeets (JT Servo Extensions) I am the guy that sells the heavy duty servo extensions and HD switches at killer prices.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I thought about trying Stihl Ultra a year or so ago but my local dealer didn't carry it. They sell only the orange bottle, perto oil which works great in my saws. They also told me they had to buy a minimum quantity of the Ultra oil and they thought that would be more than they would sell in a reasonable time. Have been in other Stihl shops where only the orange bottle oil was displayed. Don't know if that is a trend or not.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonesjj3

I will give the Ultra a try my flying is Scale not 3D but I do want my eng's to run there best dont mind spending a little more on oil, heck I have over grand in some of my planes and to spend a couple dollars more for oil to keep that expensive eng running it's best is worth it.
Most of my "model" flying is also scale, but it might be called "full" scale

.017" to .025" on the plug gap. .018" makes thye ignitions coils happier. I done a whole lot of ignition work and the gap definately effects the coil performance.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Local saw and mower shop, it was not out front so asked. They had it in qt and six pack.
Tom P
Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

One word...Klotz!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
jonesjj3

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: jonesjj3

Most of my ''model'' flying is also scale, but it might be called ''full'' scale

.017'' to .025'' on the plug gap. .018'' makes thye ignitions coils happier. I done a whole lot of ignition work and the gap definately effects the coil performance.
I am going to go and check all of my plugs I am almost sure that they are all over .022 and some maybe closer to .025, sounds like running a closer gap like what you menchen .018 is a better gap to run.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Jerry_Hailey

What ever oil you start with, stay with!! Never change types of oil. Here is why-

Every oil brand has its own unique blend of additives such as zinc, phosphorus, molybdenum, sulfur, and a pile of other tricks oil companies do. Mainly you will find two types of oils, Low friction performance oils like racing oil (Amsoil) and the other is anti-wear oil such as Pennzoil.
During the break in the additives slowly attach themselves to the metal parts in the engine. The problem is those anti-wear and anti-friction additives compete for the same surface of the engine component.
Let’s say you broke your engine in with a base oil with lots of zinc for anti-wear, and then changed 6 months down the road to a full synthetic high performance 100-1 mix. Small chunks of zinc will start be removed due to normal metal to metal contact. Now is you were still running an anti-wear oil more zinc will take the place of the departing particles. But as we said you changed to full synthetic anti-friction oil. The anti-friction additive can’t properly attach themselves to the surface, so you get metal to metal contact and the next thing you know you have lost a rod or piston.
I read posts all of the time that says thing like “ I put brand X in my engine and in about three flights it burnt up mu engine. Brand X is junk.”
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably due more to them not tuning it to the new mixure caused by the new oil. I have never had an engine blow up when switching oil. Done it more than a few times.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

This is some good oil. I am using it at 50 to 1 in a DA 100 DA 50 and an old 3w 80 twin. You can't go wrong with this oil or the ECHO oil either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.