DA50 and vibration questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA50 and vibration questions

Guys,
My DA50 will be here this week, and I'm wondering what to look for as far as vibration and screws/bolts coming loose? What about muffler bolts? I have heard of guys safety wiring them? Is this necessary? What about any other bolts/screws coming loose? What precautions should I take, and where?
What about loc-tite? Does it work? Blue or Red? Where (if at all) do you guys use loc-tite? Thanks for helping me avoid any problems.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:33 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

DON'T USE RED. the red will not release without 900 degrees of heat .the blue will hold anything on and still come off fairly easy.do the motor mount nuts and the ignition plates if it has any and do the muffler bolts
Old 07-07-2003, 03:23 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default DA 50 smooooooth

Hi Paul,
There have been a few guys that have had servo arm screws come loose using blue loctite. Alot of them have switched to using shoe goo, or zap-a-dap-a-goo (same stuff)...this would apply to metal gears only. It's kinda semi-flexible and won't 'snap' loose like loctite. On the engine I use wide blind nuts in the firewall and let the bolts protrude through the backside enough to install elastic stock nuts. This locks those bolts in place and is light and really holds well...just some extra piece of mind to assure the engine stays put. I put alot of flights on my 35% with a DA 100 and have never had bolts come loose. The engines are very smooth, but with any engine there will be some vibration. Some have alot more vibration (some will literally beat a plane to death) than others, but the DA's are really smooth. I use the shoe goo on every piece of hardware that has threads except for the canopy bolts...literally every bolt in the plane. I also use aluminum elastic stock nuts on all my linkages on the bolts that hold the ball-links and everything on. I use all hex-head bolts on everything...no screwdrivers go near the plane, and everything is easier to work on and get good and tight that way. Just thought some of this might be helpful.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:25 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default Loctite

Sorry, 900 degree red Loctite is a myth..Too bad, it would be great on muffler bolts. According to the Loctite website the highest heat needed for ANY Loctite is 500 degrees...I use 690 green on everything, it's the highest temp and strongest of all the products...A 4-40 brass carb plate screw will twist off before it releases, but a little heat from a small butane torch is all it takes to release it...
FWIW, there is a similar product called Rocksett, liquid, good to 1200 degrees F....It REALLY holds......
Old 07-07-2003, 11:25 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also - Loctite makes a "high temp product (272) -the one labled for high heat .
permatex sells one called "high temp thread sealant " (same stuff?)
availablein tiny $3.00 tubes at NAPA - the BUT is - but it also does not hold up well in muffler to case applications --
Where do you purchase Rocksett?
Old 07-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Antique

I just re read the specs..Rocksett,
High temp ceramic cement, one part, no mixing..
One grade does it all-Lock, seals, & bonds..Incredible temperature resistance, (-350F up to 2,015F)
Withstands oils, fuels, and alkalis
2 oz, $9.00
Available from MSC Supply, 1-800-645-7270 for an outlet in your area....
Old 07-07-2003, 06:16 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ceramic cement--- --OK-- I will give it a go -
sounds too good to be true if it is a one part product - no cat?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Antique

No cat, tried it years ago, lost mine in a move..works well..Should be good on exhaust bolts....
Old 07-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Kelly D

Red lock tite is just fine. Been using it for years, have yet to have it fail, and have yet to have it not release when you need to unbolt. it's definately tight, but no issues. Should you feel it's too tight, use a bic lighter to warm it up and it will break loose. With the DA-50, use it on the stand off mounts, on both sides, and on the muffler bolts.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Paul Cataldo

Thanks fellas. Will try the red loc-tite first.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:36 PM
Paul Cataldo

Guys,
How long does it take red loc tite to cure? I have an experiment going in the basement where I put some red loctite on an old wrecked planes firewall bolts. It's been almost 24 hours now, and the screw is still kind of wet. It is clean (oil free) too. What's up? I'm using new Permatex red loc tite just bought the other day when home depot received their new shipment, so it isn't old or outdated. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:03 AM
Kelly D

When I've put it on whatever, for example clevises, within 5-10 minutes, I can't turn them by hand.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:18 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Antique
Sorry, 900 degree red Loctite is a myth..Too bad, it would be great on muffler bolts. According to the Loctite website the highest heat needed for ANY Loctite is 500 degrees...I use 690 green on everything, it's the highest temp and strongest of all the products...A 4-40 brass carb plate screw will twist off before it releases, but a little heat from a small butane torch is all it takes to release it...
FWIW, there is a similar product called Rocksett, liquid, good to 1200 degrees F....It REALLY holds......
finally some correct advice.....+1
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Antique
I just re read the specs..Rocksett,
High temp ceramic cement, one part, no mixing..
One grade does it all-Lock, seals, & bonds..Incredible temperature resistance, (-350F up to 2,015F)
Withstands oils, fuels, and alkalis
2 oz, $9.00
Available from MSC Supply, 1-800-645-7270 for an outlet in your area....
+1
Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Checklst

Been running gas for years and never had a problem with Blue Loctite....................I do however use locks and the blue both and I always take a q-tip with alcohol and clean out the threads and the bolt threads as well......I found removing the cutting oil made the Loctite hold much better.
The blue does release without heat, but on my muffler bolts the back out is firm all the way out

I think most of the ways you were told hear would work just fine........just clean the machining oil off the threads first.........that's my advice.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by captinjohn
finally some correct advice.....+1
What do you mean finally? That post was 12 years ago.
If the stuff is good to 2000 degrees how would you get it off?
I use silicon seal on muffler bolts. It works and heat does not bother it. Then you can just peal it off when you need to
Old 08-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Slapnuts

Use a soldering pencil to heat the bolt if it's stck with the Red. IMO It depends on what muffler your using . If your using a large heavy wraparound Pitts muffler, you're gonna need red loctite, lock washers, a strap and pins. If your using a stock lightweight muffler Blue or Red Loctite alone should suffice.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If you can use a soldering iron to release it red locktite does not have a high enough temperature rating to use on muffler bolts